Ever Wonder Why Golf is so Popular?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Ever wonder why golf is growing in popularity and people who don't even play go to tournaments or watch it on TV? These truisms may shed light on reasons why.

Golf is an honorable game, with the overwhelming majority of players being honorable people who don't need referees.

Golfers don't have some of their players in jail every week.

Golfers don't scratch their privates on the golf course.

Golfers don't kick dirt on, or throw bottles at, other people.

Professional golfers are compensated in direct proportion to how well they play.

Golfers don't get per diem and two seats on a charter flight when they travel between tournaments.

Golfers don't hold out for more money, or demand new contracts, because of another player's deal.

Professional Golfers don't demand that the taxpayers pay for the courses on which they play.

When golfers make a mistake, nobody is there to cover for them or back them up.

The PGA Tour raises more money for charity in one year than the National Football League does in two.

You can watch the best golfers in the world up close, at any tournament, including the majors, all day, every day for $25 or $30. The cost for a seat in the nosebleed section at the Super Bowl will cost around $300 or more.

You can bring a picnic lunch to the tournament golf course, watch the best in the world and not spend a small fortune on food and drink. Try that at one of the taxpayer funded baseball or football stadiums. I brought a Coke into Oriole Park at Camden Yards last year, and an usher came to my seat and told me I had to dispose of it, or I would not be allowed to stay in the stadium.

In golf you cannot fail 70% of the time and make $9 million a season, like the best baseball hitters (. 300 batting average) do.

Golf doesn't change its rules to attract Fans.

Golfers have to adapt to an entirely new playing area each week.

Golfers keep their clothes on while they are being interviewed.

Golf doesn't have free agency.

In their prime, Greg Norman, Arnold Palmer and other stars, would shake your hand and say they were happy to meet you. In his prime Jose Canseco wore T-shirts that read "Leave Me Alone. "

You can hear birds chirping on the golf course during a tournament.

Ladies are welcome players.

At a golf tournament, (unlike at taxpayer-funded sports stadiums and arenas) you won't hear a steady stream of four letter words and nasty name calling while you're hoping that no one spills beer on you.

Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball three times as far as Barry Bonds can hit a baseball.

Golf Courses don't ruin the neighborhood.

This is a slice of golf history I thought you might enjoy. I never knew why there were 18 holes before this. Why do full-length golf courses have 18 holes, and not 20, or 10 or an even dozen? How many of you golfers know the answer to this one? During a discussion among the club's membership board at St. Andrews in 1858, one of the members pointed out that it takes exactly 18 shots to polish off a fifth of Scotch. By limiting himself to only one shot of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was finished when the Scotch ran out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disclaimer: I did not independently verify every claim in this piece. I just thought it was interesting and seemed pretty true. :cheesy:

Otter

Nothing to see here
I'm more in agreement with the old quote that golf is a nice walk spoiled or something to that effect...:lmao:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If I may...

...because of the handicap system ANY golfer can play ANY other golfer even up.

It's a game for life. You can play golf from when you can start walking to when you can't anymore.

The harder you try the harder it gets; The more serene you are, the easier it gets.

And just when you think you are "serene" the game bites you in the ### and makes you say bad words. THEN right after that, you knock one stiff and just marvel at the game. It is new and special each and every time you play.

You can smoke cigars WHILE you are playing!

NASCAR? NASCAR? ...Well, to be honest, the road to my course is kinda twisty turny fun to drive and yeah, me and the Sequoia do a mean Jeff Gordon on the way to and from.

(Don't tell Vrai!)

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:cool: You know, whenever I've played on the links, if someone hit the ball too close to where we were at the time, we'd give 'em a break that first time around - it can happen.
But if it happened again, we'd just pick up the offending ball and throw it back in their general direction!
It is in fact a gentlemanly game, and more's the time than not, they'd get the hint.
If we were a foursome, and a twosome was charging up the links faster than we were, we'd let them play through. Otherwise, "wait your turn" was our motto.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I do not...

...tolerate that crap. It is inexcusable and is the one thing that detracts from the game, impatient *******s.

A career shot that rolls up is, as otter said, OK, once. If you fly it near me I...

"Go ahead, punk. Ruin your day."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I get angry.

Every time it happens I walked back to the offenders and read them the riot act. They know they are wrong and I call them on it. I don't like doing it but I am not gonna stand by when someone shoots a projectile at me that could get me killed. A roll up is nothing. If it is on the fly they either are pushing me or don't belong on a golf course. So, I educate. PS, I play fast. I don't sit in the cart writing scores (mostly walk anyway). I do everything etiquette demands to not hold up play, but bad shots sometimes take time.

I always get the "sorry, chill out dude" thing. I say my peace, stalk away and they are chastized and embarrassed, never come near me again the rest of the day and are thrown off their game.

I glance back once in awhile and they are always in the woods or hitting two from the ladies tees.

There is no need to hit into anyone. It is wrong and I will call you on it. If you are with me and hit into people I will leave your ### right then and there, go apologize to the victims for my poor choice of companion and leave the course and will never play with you again.

Being hit into has happend most often when I am playing with a lady who might be struggling a bit. Then "Mr. 4 putt" behind us get's impatient. You know the type.

Then, his day gets ruined.

The stupid part is that rushing people ahead of you and blaming them for your second snowman messes you up just as bad as being rushed.

Bad form.

T.Rally

Re: I get angry.

Originally posted by Larry Gude

Being hit into has happend most often when I am playing with a lady who might be struggling a bit. Bad form.

That's a mistake in and of itself.

T.Rally

...when I am playing with a lady

"Oh Mrs. Crane, you're a little monkey woman. Yeah, you're lean, mean, and I bet you're not too far in between are ya. How'd you like to wrap your spikes around my..."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Man...

...what happened to you growing up?

I've play with my Aunt, the Episcopal Minister, my cousin the college gymnast, my step moms lesbo niece (she's a 3) and whatever chicks I get paired up with or join on the course.

Without exception, including the relatives, I saw them as fellow golfers fighting the same battle as me; par.

If I started looking at boobs and legs I doubt I'd ever finish a hole not to mention being dis-owned by the family and God almighty.

:biggrin: