Opinions on a barebones system

mainman

Set Trippin
I myself have never heard of this jetway, but may I inquire as to why you would want a celeron processor? (other than price)

H

Heretic

Processors just dont matter any more like they use to. Heck Im still running a 266 PII and getting by.

H

Heretic

Anyone have any opinions on any barebones systems? Going to go to the computer show and sale in a couple weeks and see what they got there.

Im thinking of going this route because I do have alot of good hardware in my current computer that I'd like to reuse, good video card, big hard drive, CDRW, Zip 250, accelerated PCI parallel port card (for scanner, it really is faster).

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Heretic
Anyone have any opinions on any barebones systems? Going to go to the computer show and sale in a couple weeks and see what they got there.

Im thinking of going this route because I do have alot of good hardware in my current computer that I'd like to reuse, good video card, big hard drive, CDRW, Zip 250, accelerated PCI parallel port card (for scanner, it really is faster).

how much are you trying to spend?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
When you price it all out and factor in the cost of the software, I think you're gonna find that it was cheaper to buy a system like your trying to build.

H

Heretic

Im looking to stay under $350, I have the software covered.

Generally Im looking for 1.6GHz+ and 512MB Ram

I can reuse my current case but would need to change the power supply but it seems a barebones is just as cheap as doing a motherboard swap and that will leave me with a partial system to donate to someone or something.

mainman

Set Trippin
Im looking to stay under $350, I have the software covered.

Generally Im looking for 1.6GHz+ and 512MB Ram

I can reuse my current case but would need to change the power supply but it seems a barebones is just as cheap as doing a motherboard swap and that will leave me with a partial system to donate to someone or something.

Heres my thing with BB, everything is as cheap as possible.
The case and PS.. Usually you have to unscrew 600 screws to get the case off. And the PS is some bargain basement deal too.

Spend alittle extra for a good case & PS (Antec) you willnot regret it in the long run. Hardware will stay much cleaner and the case is ventilated much better.

The MB is usually from a company you have never heard of, try calling Taiwan for customer service if a jumper isnt right.

If you are going to a show you could put together a shopping list and go it that way with all custom parts. Where is the show?

mainman

Set Trippin
the show Im going to is in Upper Marlbro

www.marketproshows.com has a complete listing of where and when they are.

I used to go to the shows alot but, the thing with the shows is you have to ask alot of questions before you make a purchase. Be wary, alot of these vendors are from out of state. You buy something from one of them and it malfunctions, its going to be a pain in the ### to ship it to deleware or new jersey to get it repaired or replaced.
There will be a vendor there called Computech, they have a store on Rt 1 in beltsville. (http://www.computechmd.com) Purchase a Washington Post on Monday and look in the business section. Computech always has an ad. They are local and they will not hose you. They have gotten me out of many a jams.
The shows are fun to go to visit to see new technology, but be careful before you drop 2 or 3 bills on something.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I wouldn't buy form one of those shows.. I've had a LOT of luck using pricewatch.com. They list what you are looking for by price, then you can research the company that is offering it for sale. YOu can also buy bundled systems with exactly what you want. Check it out, let me know what you think.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
I've built my own PC's for about 6 years now. I've always used online shops, usually checking with pricewatch first. Better prices than the shops around the LP/California area. You can usually find the exact same thing for 20-50% less online. I've been buying through TigerDirect.com recently and am very happy with their service.

Jimbo

Dirty Old Man in Training
My only recommendation:

Soyotech Motherboards baby. Smoke'n. I prefer the Dragon series. Bur for $$, you really can't beat distributor closeouts. You can pick up some name brand (well, Dell and Gateway anyway) pcs from Microwarehouse, CD-W, CompUSA, Tigerdirect, etc.. for around $300 and have a real warranty, not a manufacturer's warranty on individual components. Plus every thing is new, not some of this and some of that.

My thoughts anyway.