Pork BBQ...needing advice, please!

multitaskerJuls

I am wanting to make pulled pork bbq tomorrow. I bought a 5-7 pork tenderloin today and I am wanting some pointers on how you think the best way to cook it would be....Should I throw it in the crockpot and if so, for how long!?!? Should I cook it on the stove, for how long? Should I bake it, for how long? I am wanting it to just fall apart and with it being a tenderloin the meat should already be pretty "tender"...Whatcha think!?! Is there any special spices that you would recommend I put on it while it is cooking?? My 1st instinct was to cook it in the crockpot for about 4 hours, but I want to know if that is the best way. Thanks in advance for any pointers!! I can't wait to see what ideas you all can give me!! :drool:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
If you have time, cook it on the stove stop in a dutch oven type of pan (keep water in the bottom). You don't want to overcook it or it will be dry. Just keep trying it with a fork to see if it is falling apart.

You can cook it in the crock pot but you have to be careful you don't cook it too long.

Sometimes a cheaper pork roast is more tender and flavorful and doesn't dry out as much.

Last edited:

multitaskerJuls

About how much water would you think...About a cup or two, or halfway covering the roast? Should it be cook on High, Med High, Med, etc.?

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
homemade pulled pork????

I just by it by the pound from Bear Creek of Smokey Joes. Alot less work and I don't have to clean up a big mess.

Let us know how it turns out. If it is really really good maybe I will tackle it as well.

multitaskerJuls

homemade pulled pork????

I just by it by the pound from Bear Creek of Smokey Joes. Alot less work and I don't have to clean up a big mess.

Let us know how it turns out. If it is really really good maybe I will tackle it as well.

That is what a smart person would do...I am trying to amuse myself..hahaha!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am totally appalled by this blasphemous post. The proper way to do pulled pork is in a smoker. That's it. I don't want to hear about crock pots and ovens.

:rolleyes:

You people wait until Dougster gets in here.

L

lugebob

I have been experimenting with pulled pork for a couple of years.. there is 50 ways to do the same thing but a few steps are important for maximum taste.

1. Trim any major fat packs.... not to much... the flavor and juice is in the fat.
2. lightly rub olive oil all over the meat then season with a rub, steak seasoning or salt pepper, garlic.
3. Put your big pan (Iron Skillet prefered) on the stove with a little olive oil in it and get'er hot hot hot. drop the meat in and "sear" the meat on ALL sides till nice and brown. Searing meat in hot oil causes chemical reactions that result in intense flavors and deep brown color. But if the oil isn’t hot enough, meat will just stick to the pan and the inside will cook to fast.
4. Now you slooooow cook it...with some fresh crushed garlic.... dutch oven, crock pot, foil pan cover with foil in the oven or if you have the time for best flavor... smoke it. If the cooking process does not create enough juice I pour a little bit of left over party beer on it.. (really the best use for the Budweiser someone left at your house)
5. Cook until it falls apart by prodding with a fork.... It usually takes 3 or more hours.. I have gone as long as 14 on the smoker.... just dont ever dry it out.
6. Pull the meat out and start pulling... I use 2 forks to shred the pork.

7. If for some reason it got to dry.. you can kind of recover it by mixing in some of the cooked off broth or BBQ sauce..... but it will never be the same.

If you are serving friends have a tomato and non-tomato based sauce (mustard base) for them to top with.... along with the best coleslaw you can find..

enjoy and dont forget to invite me over

bob

Last edited by a moderator:

multitaskerJuls

I am totally appalled by this blasphemous post. The proper way to do pulled pork is in a smoker. That's it. I don't want to hear about crock pots and ovens.

:rolleyes:

You people wait until Dougster gets in here.

Well, Excuse me!!!!!! Don't have a smoker so that is not an option for me, the others however are...Bring it DOUGSTER, I am ready for ya!!! :duel: :lmao:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I am wanting to make pulled pork bbq tomorrow. I bought a 5-7 pork tenderloin today and I am wanting some pointers on how you think the best way to cook it would be....Should I throw it in the crockpot and if so, for how long!?!? Should I cook it on the stove, for how long? Should I bake it, for how long? I am wanting it to just fall apart and with it being a tenderloin the meat should already be pretty "tender"...Whatcha think!?! Is there any special spices that you would recommend I put on it while it is cooking?? My 1st instinct was to cook it in the crockpot for about 4 hours, but I want to know if that is the best way. Thanks in advance for any pointers!! I can't wait to see what ideas you all can give me!! :drool:

I think pork loin is too dry and grainy to use for pulled pork.:smack:

crockpot will suffice with some vinegar and tabasco maybe a splash of liquid smoke:shrug:

L

lugebob

Well, Excuse me!!!!!! Don't have a smoker so that is not an option for me, the others however are...Bring it DOUGSTER, I am ready for ya!!! :duel: :lmao:

In a pinch I use my Weber Kettle Grill to smoke with. charcoal to one side, meat to the other in a foil pan. Water soaked Hickory Chips on the coals and close the vents down almost all the way... you regulate the heat and cooking speed by how much you open or close the vents. More wood chips every hour. When it looks like the juice is slowing down, cover the foil pan with foil until it is done.

How Slow? I did get 14 hours of one session of coals once... typically 8 hours.

multitaskerJuls

I have been experimenting with pulled pork for a couple of years.. there is 50 ways to do the same thing but a few steps are important for maximum taste.

1. Trim any major fat packs.... not to much... the flavor and juice is in the fat.
2. lightly rub olive oil all over the meat then season with a rub, steak seasoning or salt pepper, garlic.
3. Put your big pan (Iron Skillet prefered) on the stove with a little olive oil in it and get'er hot hot hot. drop the meat in and "sear" the meat on ALL sides till nice and brown. Searing meat in hot oil causes chemical reactions that result in intense flavors and deep brown color. But if the oil isn’t hot enough, meat will just stick to the pan and the inside will cook to fast.
4. Now you slooooow cook it...with some fresh crushed garlic.... dutch oven, crock pot, foil pan cover with foil in the oven or if you have the time for best flavor... smoke it. If the cooking process does not create enough juice I pour a little bit of left over party beer on it.. (really the best use for the Budweiser someone left at your house)
5. Cook until it falls apart by prodding with a fork.... It usually takes 3 or more hours.. I have gone as long as 14 on the smoker.... just dont ever dry it out.
6. Pull the meat out and start pulling... I use 2 forks to shred the pork.

7. If for some reason it got to dry.. you can kind of recover it by mixing in some of the cooked off broth or BBQ sauce..... but it will never be the same.

If you are serving friends have a tomato and non-tomato based sauce (mustard base) for them to top with.... along with the best coleslaw you can find..

enjoy and dont forget to invite me over

bob

Wow, thank you so much BOB! Alot of great pointers.. I think that I am going to put a rub on the tenderloin shortly and let it sit overnight. I did however forget the coleslaw, duh! I guess I will be running to the store tomorrow morning 1st thing.

L

lugebob

I think pork loin is too dry and grainy to use for pulled pork.:smack:

crockpot will suffice with some vinegar and tabasco maybe a splash of liquid smoke:shrug:

Any pork roast with some fat will work.... And Yes... a little vinegar is a good thing...

L

lugebob

Wow, thank you so much BOB! Alot of great pointers.. I think that I am going to put a rub on the tenderloin shortly and let it sit overnight. I did however forget the coleslaw, duh! I guess I will be running to the store tomorrow morning 1st thing.

Dont get to much slaw.... I find only the hardcore eaters like on the bun... most people think it is weird...

multitaskerJuls

Would it be okay to put a rub on it tonight and if I am going to cook it in a dutch oven on the stove which is the method that I think that I am going to use, should I put about 2 cups of water and say 1/2 cup vinegar in the pan?

multitaskerJuls

What do you think about this rub? Found this one online...
Dry Seasoning Rub:
3 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Any pork roast with some fat will work.... And Yes... a little vinegar is a good thing...

yeah I think I understand the basics of BBQing.:whistle:

Still a loin is very dry

I got a mini weber well its not a weber cause it says right on the grill "WARNING THIS IS NOT A WEBER" works great for single butts, roast, turkeys,and london broil. I can cook right over the charcoal by just closeing all the vents

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
What do you think about this rub? Found this one online...
Dry Seasoning Rub:
3 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

use kosher salt
and add 3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder.

L

lugebob

All that will work.... but dont get hung up on the rub to much.. it adds flavor but the seared meat alone with garlic is plenty... I know it is out this time, but wood smoking is the best flavor enhancer..... but in the end.... if you are one that likes to pile on the sauce... all that pre flavoring goes out the window...

cool thing about winging it is you learn something new on your own...

ha!
PS don't pick at it when cooking..... others have to eat also