Canon Rebel XTi SLR

So I'm getting an early birthday present, the Rebel XTi. :yahoo:

We're probably getting it tomorrow. If you're familiar with this camera, are there any recommendations as far as accessories go? Or will I have everything I need just purchasing the camera w/ the 18-55 mm lens?

Eventually, I will want to get a portrait lens for it, but I don't want to be too greedy. :whistle:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
If you're familiar with this camera, are there any recommendations as far as accessories go? Or will I have everything I need just purchasing the camera w/ the 18-55 mm lens?
Actually, I would bypass the kit lens and purchase either Canon's 28 - 135mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS or Sigma's 18 - 50mm f/2.8 Macro.

The former is a great all-around lens with a moderate zoom and image stabilization, which allows shooting handheld at slower shutter speeds; the latter is also rather versatile and features constant aperture and can function as a macro (super close-up) lens. I own both and recommend them highly; they will provide sharper results and are more durable than the kit lens, without a price tag that will make the wallet shudder.

I would not bother with most color or other adjustment type filters... but DEFINITELY buy a "haze" or "UV" filter, as they can help correct some sky aberrations, but more importantly, they can protect your lens glass should you drop or scratch the front of your camera. I would also recommend a circular polarizing filter, but only if you plan on shooting outdoors regularly.

Memory... I would get at least a 4GB card, if not an 8.

Case... 3.5 years ago I bought a Samsonite bag for my Rebel. I have since gotten rid of the Rebel, but I still love that bag! It still looks nearly brand new! Damn thing is tough as nails. My big bag is a Lowepro, and exceptionally durable in its own right.

Tripod... I use mine almost constantly, even for shots where I don't really need it. I think you could get off to a good start with a ~$50 tripod, although others may argue that you could go cheaper.

What types of subjects do you plan to shoot most often?

Actually, I would bypass the kit lens and purchase either Canon's 28 - 135mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS or Sigma's 18 - 50mm f/2.8 Macro.

The former is a great all-around lens with a moderate zoom and image stabilization, which allows shooting handheld at slower shutter speeds; the latter is also rather versatile and features constant aperture and can function as a macro (super close-up) lens. I own both and recommend them highly; they will provide sharper results and are more durable than the kit lens, without a price tag that will make the wallet shudder.

I would not bother with most color or other adjustment type filters... but DEFINITELY buy a "haze" or "UV" filter, as they can help correct some sky aberrations, but more importantly, they can protect your lens glass should you drop or scratch the front of your camera. I would also recommend a circular polarizing filter, but only if you plan on shooting outdoors regularly.

Memory... I would get at least a 4GB card, if not an 8.

Case... 3.5 years ago I bought a Samsonite bag for my Rebel. I have since gotten rid of the Rebel, but I still love that bag! It still looks nearly brand new! Damn thing is tough as nails. My big bag is a Lowepro, and exceptionally durable in its own right.

Tripod... I use mine almost constantly, even for shots where I don't really need it. I think you could get off to a good start with a ~$50 tripod, although others may argue that you could go cheaper.

What types of subjects do you plan to shoot most often?

Wow, that's a lot of info. :yay: I will check out the links you provided for the lenses.

As for subject matter, right now it'll just be family-related photos (mostly my baby boy). I take pictures of him everyday and my Kodak point and shoot isn't cutting it. I take my camera with me everywhere, so if I see something I want to take a pic of, I'm prepared. So, I guess the subject matter could be almost anything! I'd eventually like to take a course in photography though.

moon5leg

It's not easy being green
I'd second pretty much everything hvp05 suggested. I got the Rebel XTi for my wife a few months ago. Due to budgetary constraints, we did not upgrade from the standard kit lens (but an upgrade is definately on the wish list) and have been very happy with the results so far.

A lens filter is a must. They're aren't expensive ($10 -$20 or so) and will take the abuse that the lens itself might not withstand. And it's a lot cheaper to replace a scratched filter than the entire lens.

We are making due with a 2GB CF card. It holds 500-550 pics, which is plenty for us, but normally memory is cheaper per GB the higher capacity you go so a 4 -8 GB card would certainly be a good investment.

My wife uses the Canon 200DG Digital Camera Gadget Bag and really likes it. there is more than enough room for the camera, lens and all sorts of extras, plus some personal items too. She also uses the Sunpak 9002DX Tripod. A tripod is a great idea for any photography, but even moreso for beginners like us that don't have a higher quality lens (or a steady hand!).

Lastly, I'd recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. It's not a technical book on how to configure your camera settings specifically, rather, it's a great primer on understanding all the different aspects of photography so that when you're in the moment, you'll know better what you have to do to take the best shot you can.

hvp05

I will check out the links you provided for the lenses.

As for subject matter, right now it'll just be family-related photos (mostly my baby boy).
Okay... in that case, you could get great shots with the kit lens. I achieved plenty with the one I had for the 2 years I used it. The sharper glass is preferred, but you will not notice the difference with candid portraits and the like. Like I said, though, the kit lens is not as durable, and for the last few months I had mine, the main problem was that the lens barrel would shift slightly after a focusing attempt - just irritating enough of a problem to make me want to upgrade.

I'd second pretty much everything hvp05 suggested.
:high5:

moon5leg said:
We are making due with a 2GB CF card. It holds 500-550 pics...
This all depends on the image quality settings one uses.

I shoot with an 8.2MP 30D and an 8GB card, and I always shoot either RAW or Large-Fine JPEG, which gives me space for at least 860 images. I am not likely to fill that in one day, but I consider times when I'm on vacation or some place where I might not be able to download the images for a while. Then it's much preferred to have one or two large-capacity cards rather than several smaller ones.

rack'm

Jaded
A lens filter is a must. They're aren't expensive ($10 -$20 or so) and will take the abuse that the lens itself might not withstand. And it's a lot cheaper to replace a scratched filter than the entire lens.

Pro filters are $60+, you get what you pay for.

Don't buy cheap memory either, by the fastest memory your camera can use.

Ritz offers an 8500 tripod that will hold up to 11 lbs for $60, well worth the money. :yay:

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
So I'm getting an early birthday present, the Rebel XTi. :yahoo:

We're probably getting it tomorrow. If you're familiar with this camera, are there any recommendations as far as accessories go? Or will I have everything I need just purchasing the camera w/ the 18-55 mm lens?

Eventually, I will want to get a portrait lens for it, but I don't want to be too greedy. :whistle:

-A good tripod
-external flash
-lots of memory if you shoot RAW.
-L series lenses and filters

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Question I have is how do the Nikon Digital SLR's stack up to the Canon's??

I have about $2000 worth of Nikon equipment in my camera bag that hasn't been used in a LONG time.. but I also understand that all of my Nikon gear, lenses, Cokin Filters. teleconverter. flash, are compatible with tne new digitals.. True or False? Pros cons??

Granted this equipment is almost 30 years old, but it all is in VERY good shape..

Last edited:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I have the XTi and a few accesories.

If you're just shooting for fun, I'd recommend the following listed in order of importance (in my opinion)...

1. Make sure you get the NEW XTi package. They come with an image stabilized kit lens. Old package does not.
2. External E-TTL II flash (I have the 430EX and LOVE it)
3. extra memory cards
4. Extra camera battery
5. rechargeable batteries for flash
6. cheap inverter so you can charge the batteries in the car WHEN you forget to charge them ahead of time. :lol:
7. Canon 75-300 EF III USM zoom lens (not the best zoom, but good bang for the buck)
8. cheap tripod

Canon also makes a 50mm F1.8 lens that's only $80.Not a bad portrait lens for us family picture nuts, and if you take pictures in low light it works pretty well too.

hvp05

Question I have is how do the Nikon Digital SLR's stack up to the Canon's??
Canon is my brand, so I can't answer your other questions, but I can answer this one...

The Nikon D-SLRs have historically held pace with the Canon's up through the "prosumer" level, offering equal results and capability. However, Nikon's pro level has been severely lacking compared to Canon's - hence why Canon's claim that most pros shoot with their equipment is true and you can see it on the sidelines at any game. That said, Nikon has recently taken a big step forward with their D3, as it is comparable to Canon's Mark III. But as long as Canon maintains its high quality standards and innovation, the pros will stick with them, especially considering how deeply invested those guys are with their Canon equipment and comfortability.

So, to most of us, there isn't much difference... :lol:

hvp05

6. cheap inverter so you can charge the batteries in the car WHEN you forget to charge them ahead of time.
EXCELLENT investment! They don't cost much and can save you if you run low on power while away from an indoor outlet. Here is an example of one. (I am not recommending that one, but that is what you're looking for; most electronics places carry them.)

8. cheap tripod
I would not suggest anything "cheap", as it will have a shorter lifespan than if you spend a little more on one at the start. You can find them under $20, but like I said before, I think the $50 level is fairly decent.

Pandora

I have a FujiFine Pix....

But I'm sure you all don't care about my camera. :drama:
(kinda like bragging about your new Edge at the Corvette convention :ohwell: )

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Canon is my brand, so I can't answer your other questions, but I can answer this one...

The Nikon D-SLRs have historically held pace with the Canon's up through the "prosumer" level, offering equal results and capability. However, Nikon's pro level has been severely lacking compared to Canon's - hence why Canon's claim that most pros shoot with their equipment is true and you can see it on the sidelines at any game. That said, Nikon has recently taken a big step forward with their D3, as it is comparable to Canon's Mark III. But as long as Canon maintains its high quality standards and innovation, the pros will stick with them, especially considering how deeply invested those guys are with their Canon equipment and comfortability.

So, to most of us, there isn't much difference... :lol:

I heard a rumor about why all the pro's carry Canon.. Most of them are given their cameras to use by Canon..

Don't know if there is any truth to it.. but did hear most carry them as back ups to their preferred cameras (whatever they may be).. so it would be true to say for example 80% of photo professionals carry Canon..

I've also heard Nikon is a late comer to the Digital SLR..

I have the XTi and a few accesories.

If you're just shooting for fun, I'd recommend the following listed in order of importance (in my opinion)...

1. Make sure you get the NEW XTi package. They come with an image stabilized kit lens. Old package does not.
2. External E-TTL II flash (I have the 430EX and LOVE it)
3. extra memory cards
4. Extra camera battery
5. rechargeable batteries for flash
6. cheap inverter so you can charge the batteries in the car WHEN you forget to charge them ahead of time. :lol:
7. Canon 75-300 EF III USM zoom lens (not the best zoom, but good bang for the buck)
8. cheap tripod

Canon also makes a 50mm F1.8 lens that's only $80.Not a bad portrait lens for us family picture nuts, and if you take pictures in low light it works pretty well too.

I have the XT and it ROCKS :yay:

I totally agree with Lugnut on this - I have the same setup above and it does all that I want!

hvp05

You also don't need a Digital SLR either.
Yeah, I guess that's true. :lol: But, even if all I was shooting was family stuff, I would still pick the SLR for its customizability. My advanced point-and-shoot (prior to my first SLR) was a nice camera, but it was still limited in some ways.

I heard a rumor about why all the pro's carry Canon.. Most of them are given their cameras to use by Canon..
Maybe true... but Nikon still did not have much to put in for competition until recently. :shrug: