sinus infections

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)
I have a terrible one and have tried everything. Hot compresses to the point of burning my skin, apple cider vinager sips, inhaling vaporized honey. It's been off and on for two weeks now. Some days are great and some days, like today and yesterday, horrible. The pressure is so intense.
Any other suggestions til I call the doc tomorrow?

Go NOW to CVS and get Mucinex. Take two pills every 12 hours. It is a prescription strength expectorant and will begin releaving pressure in no time.

multitaskerJuls

Go NOW to CVS and get Mucinex. Take two pills every 12 hours. It is a prescription strength expectorant and will begin releaving pressure in no time.

I could not of said it any better. I love that stuff!! As soon as I get the slightest bit of sinus pain, I take Mucinex and within hours I am great! Aleve and Mucinex is always in my medicine cabinet. I hope you feel better soon!! :huggy:

M

Mousebaby

:bawl: Oh man I wish I would have thought to ask! I have been suffering for at least two weeks now too! My face feels like someone has kicked it and I AM on antibiotics! I have been taking Tylenol sinus but it only helps a little. Now I have to wait for this dose to wear off before I take anything else. :bawl:

snuzzy

Mucinex is alway recommended by my Dr. I like to use Vick's Vaporub, smear some under the nose, it's an oldy but goody.

I've tried the Mucinex and it never did much for me. I use Zicam spray and 2 arthritis strength Tylenol. Usually breaks it up in short order.

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)

Can I take that with the V and T I just started drinking?

I have a bottle of Mucinex DM expectorant/cough suppressant. Is this the stuff? It will relieve my poor pounding head?

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)
I've tried the Mucinex and it never did much for me. I use Zicam spray and 2 arthritis strength Tylenol. Usually breaks it up in short order.

tried that with two percocets. Did nothing. :(
Glad it worked for you. I'm dowing the Mucinex now. with my V and T. :buddies:

Lilypad

I have a terrible one and have tried everything. Hot compresses to the point of burning my skin, apple cider vinager sips, inhaling vaporized honey. It's been off and on for two weeks now. Some days are great and some days, like today and yesterday, horrible. The pressure is so intense.
Any other suggestions til I call the doc tomorrow?

I had a SI last week-along w/all the symptoms you had; I couldn't tolerate light-natural or artificial-very weird! Today, a week later I feel like I finally turned a corner and will live to see another day!:yahoo:
Hope you're feeling better Slow Twist

greyhound

My doc has told me that if you have a sinus "infection" you need to see a dr. Any infection in or around the head needs an antibiotic. The other meds work if you have sinus pain and congestion.

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
My doc has told me that if you have a sinus "infection" you need to see a dr. Any infection in or around the head needs an antibiotic. The other meds work if you have sinus pain and congestion.

Good reply greyhound!

IMHO-"sinus infection" is a catch all term most of us use-whether it is a head cold or a stuffed up nose-a true sinus infection is x-tremely serious (fever, tender, red, or swollen cheekbone, double vision).

A person should call a doctor when experiencing pain or pressure in the upper face accompanied by nasal congestion or discharge, postnasal drip, or ongoing bad breath that is unrelated to dental problems.

Fever can be a symptom of a sinus infection or a cold. A person experiencing simple congestion with a low–grade fever probably has a cold and may not need special medications or antibiotics. Those also experiencing facial pain or headaches may have a sinus infection.

A doctor often can treat simple sinusitis. If left undiagnosed and untreated, though, complications of sinusitis can occur that may lead to severe medical problems and possibly death.

In the past month I have seen many, many cases of "head colds"-most are not life threatening.

*Beware-taking antibiotics "frivolously" without a doctors knowledge or scrip is not a good thing!

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Have you ever tried a netti pot? My husband has historically had sinus problems until he started using one. He has been using it almost daily for over a year and it has really helped. In addition to the salt, he adds a little bit of baking soda - the salt breaks up the mucous and kills germs and the baking soda soothes inflamed tissues.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Have you ever tried a netti pot? My husband has historically had sinus problems until he started using one. He has been using it almost daily for over a year and it has really helped. In addition to the salt, he adds a little bit of baking soda - the salt breaks up the mucous and kills germs and the baking soda soothes inflamed tissues.

:yeahthat: or just a rinse of salt, baking soda and warm water. Antibiotics don't do much for a sinus infection unless the infection is bacterial. Most sinus infections are viral.

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....

I love the Netti Pot!!!
My boss's wife convinced me to try it .... It took a little while to get used to it, but I'm so happy that I tried. It washes all of the snot and germs right out of my sinuses. It's pretty awesome.

I found a plastic one at CVS for around $12. It's called a Sinus Cleanse (I think). Everyone needs to go buy one!

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)
thank you all for the responses.:howdy:i think the Mucinex is working. I don't have so much pressure. I still have a slight headache. But that may be from my overindulgence of V and T's yesterday.
:whistle::otter:

I'd like to get a netti pot. I seem to have sinus infections a couple times a year. in the spring and after a bad cold. I read online that I should take a tsp. of Apple Cider Vinager everyday to prevent it. Maybe I'll try that to with this crazy weather, I may need to .