Dusty Baker - more interesting sports news

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'll post a link to this one since some people might not have heard the story.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/cubs/2003-07-07-baker_x.htm

Basically, Cubs manager Dusty Baker said that he thinks blacks and hispanics are more suited to playing in the sun and heat. Went on to say that whites are more suited to colder climates.

Now the PC brigade is all over him, saying that's a racist statement and he's being "insensitive". Personally, I agree with Dusty - you can't get past the fact that blacks and hispanics originated in hotter climates, so it stands to reason that they have some genetic thing that helps them tolerate it better.

But what I don't understand is how these could be considered racist statements. I never understood the John Rocker brouhaha, either - he didn't say anything that wasn't the truth (except for maybe the Asian woman thing).

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Otter and I talked about this on the ride to work today. Many people have made similar comments (well along the same lines)...only to be fired or reprimanded. Agreed, what he said what somewhat in jest but had it been a white individual making the statement and he'd be looking for a job.

F

Frostillicus

Research shows that he is twice as stupid as originally thought - whites are better off than minorities in hot weather.