PDA

View Full Version : Moms in here please

joeyinlexpark
07-09-2003, 09:00 AM
How do you stop your 2 1/2 yr old from biting??? He likes to bite kids at daycare, should I bite him back to show him its not nice:biggrin: But serioulsy, hes gonna get booted out of daycare if he keeps biting.

RoseRed
07-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Red pepper threats.

cattitude
07-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Biting is very normal, especially at that age. I'm not sure what "they" recommend, but I was in the grocery store with my oldest son. He was sitting in the front of the cart and leaned over and bit me on my, uh..... Well, needless to say I was in a great amount of pain and just reacted and bit him on his arm. Never bit me again. I didn't go through it with my younger one. Did you do a search on the internet to see what the experts advise??

looky here (http://toddlerstoday.com/resources/articles/biting.htm)

cattitude
07-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Ooops....guess I was a bad mommy.:frown:

RoseRed
07-09-2003, 09:11 AM
When my daughter was 22 months, she got mad at me because I wouldn't let her eat the doggie treat. She in turn bit me on my arse. Hurt like hell and left teeth marks for a week.

vraiblonde
07-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Why do you say that, Catt? I never had any biters but Doug spit at me one time - I knocked him across the room. It was just a reaction and I felt bad, but he never spit again.

migtig
07-09-2003, 09:19 AM
I don't have kids, but when the dawg was a puppy he bit me hard and I bit him on the ear (my dad's reasoning skills at work) and he never has bit me nor anybody else again. :shrug:

pixiegirl
07-09-2003, 09:19 AM
I say bite him back too. The other day I was putting the little one in the car and he was pitching a fit. I tried handing him his toy phone to occupy him and he threw it at me busting me square in the nose. I smacked the crap out of his hand and almost felt bad because I thought maybe I had hit him too hard but then I realized it didn't even phase him. Boy am I gonna be in trouble when the terrible 2's really start.:frown:

Kyle
07-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
How do you stop your 2 1/2 yr old from biting??? ...
Rap 'em on the nose with a rolled up newspaper?

migtig
07-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Kyle
Rap 'em on the nose with a rolled up newspaper?
:yeahthat: Or you could shake a can filled with change....

otter
07-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by kwillia
Thirty-three year old boys are worse than two year old boys...:bubble:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

migtig
07-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by otter
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:yeahthat: They are. :rolleyes:

vraiblonde
07-09-2003, 09:27 AM
You know what's funny? "They" always say that if you smack your kid, you're teaching them violence and they'll grow up to be violent. But I was never afraid of getting physical with my kids and establishing that dominance over them and they turned out fine. I didn't beat them or anything like that, but I had no qualms about smacking their butts or popping them in the mouth.

Vince
07-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by cattitude
Ooops....guess I was a bad mommy.:frown:

No you weren't. Did the same with my kids. Bite them back, it works!

pixiegirl
07-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by vraiblonde
You know what's funny? "They" always say that if you smack your kid, you're teaching them violence and they'll grow up to be violent. But I was never afraid of getting physical with my kids and establishing that dominance over them and they turned out fine. I didn't beat them or anything like that, but I had no qualms about smacking their butts or popping them in the mouth.

:yeahthat: My parents (well my mom) use to spank the hell out of me. She didn't do it often but when she did it was very effective. I didn't just get the hand either. I got a belt or a spoon or something. My dad on the other hand only spanked me once. I can still remember running from him because I was so scared. He did it bare handed too.

cattitude
07-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Why do you say that, Catt?

I read the article I posted for Joey. But, seriously, he NEVER bit another soul. I can still remember the looks I got from the old ladies in the produce section where the "assult" occurred.:biggrin:

Dymphna
07-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Kids that age bite because they are frustrated. Usually because they can't talk as well as they understand. They know what they want to say, such as, "I want that toy" but don't know how.

This is what worked for me. If you see them getting frustrated, intervene before they bite. If it's too late, remove them from the situation, comfort the victim first. The biter needs to see that biting gets the other kid attention. Then tell your kid that you understand that what they wanted but too bad and biting won't help. Like this, "Biting is not nice. I know you want that truck, but Joey is playing with it right now and you have to wait. Why don't you play with this car."

It's not an instant cure, it takes a few times but it works. As we speak, my former biter (now 2 1/2) is on the floor screaming "My turn" at his brother (annoying, yes but no one is hurt).

joeyinlexpark
07-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Well thanks for all the repsonses so quickly, if he bites again I am going to bite him back! This "nice touches Sean" is a crock!!!

blueeyes76
07-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by cattitude
Well, needless to say I was in a great amount of pain and just reacted and bit him on his arm. Never bit me again.

That's exactly how my Mom cured me of biting! I was throwing a temper tantrum, she was sitting on the couch and I threw my head into her lap and bit her on her inner thigh. She picked me up and bit me back...she said I screamed for a while...but I never bit anybody again!

Elle
07-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Well thanks for all the repsonses so quickly, if he bites again I am going to bite him back! This "nice touches Sean" is a crock!!!

But after you bite him back, make sure you ask "that hurt didn't it" Make sure he knows that biting is wrong but at the same time let him know how it feels!

NAS
07-11-2003, 11:23 PM
i agree with the bitin the child back my son bit me when he was 2 and i bit him back and said **thats how its feels** and he never bit again, i know to some it sounds awful but its really not

vraiblonde
07-12-2003, 12:46 AM
This "nice touches Sean" is a crock!!! Agree. They don't listen and it's hard to communicate with a 2 year old anyway. Kids at that age are like animals (really) - they only understand negative and postive reinforcement. When you talk nice to them and try to explain things, they don't get the message. You could probably tower over him, use your mean Daddy voice and intimidate the crap out of him - get your message across without getting physical. My mean Mommy voice is legendary in our house - when I break it out, kids start scurrying. :lol:

Dymphna
07-12-2003, 12:14 PM
I just want to go on record as saying that I think biting your kid is wrong. I'm not one of these mamby pamby, no disipline, let your kids do what they want kinda moms and I don't think talking to them at that age does much good but the thought of intentionally hurting your kid appalls me.

vraiblonde
07-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by cmcdanal
I just want to go on record as saying that I think biting your kid is wrong. I agree to some extent, but you can't really argue with the results. I don't think anyone's advocating biting the kid's arm off - just give him enough to feel some discomfort. You're not supposed to leave bruises or marks on your kid.

Kain99
07-12-2003, 01:43 PM
I was never much of a spanker. When the kids were little I definitely swatted their butts for going towards the road, touching outlets etc.

All of that aside I have to agree that situation is very serious.

I say bite him back. The Daycare Center cannot keep a biter... No Center can.

Teach him the quick way. You cannot reason with a two year old.

mainman
07-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Kain99
I was never much of a spanker. When the kids were little I definitely swatted their butts for going towards the road, touching outlets etc.

All of that aside I have to agree that situation is very serious.

I say bite him back. The Daycare Center cannot keep a biter... No Center can.

Teach him the quick way. You cannot reason with a two year old.
so you say a bite for a bite...why didnt you then jam their fingers into the outlets, to learn them to not touch?:shrug:
FYI. I bit my kid once (not too hard) Never bit me again....

Kain99
07-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by mainman
so you say a bite for a bite...why didnt you then jam their fingers into the outlets, to learn them to not touch?:shrug:
FYI. I bit my kid once (not too hard) Never bit me again....

OMG! That reminds me of that show Titus! Man I loved that show.... :razz2:

huntr1
07-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Kain99
OMG! That reminds me of that show Titus! Man I loved that show.... :razz2:

:yeahthat:

jlabsher
07-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Mine is hard-headed (must have gotten it from mom!) bit a lot. We bit back, slapped & said no, nothing helped. Kept doing it for 3 months or so. Now she doesn't do it anymore, must have been a phase.