School forces pregnancy tests on 8th graders

watercolor

yeah yeah
"The next day the girls were suspended and told they had to be tested for pregnancy, HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases and could not return to school without a doctor's note that included the test results. "

Well what I find funny about them doing this the next day....it wouldnt have shown up so soon. I mean come on...what kind of dumbarses are these people. It just doesnt make sense.

B

Bruzilla

Here we go again... kids break the law and engage in dangerous behavior, and who takes the heat? The schools. :burning: :burning: :burning:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
The civil liberties union is representing two of approximately 11 girls who cut school on April 11th and attended a "hooky party" where there reportedly was sexual activity.

The suit says one male student also attended the party, but he was not required to be tested for diseases. :cool:

Hmmmm...

Makavide

Not too talkative
Originally posted by jlabsher
...approximately 11 girls who cut school on April 11th and attended a "hooky party" where there reportedly was sexual activity.

...one male student attended the party... :cool:

Hmmmm...

Must of been pretty good to be the one guy...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That might be the dumbest thing I've heard all day - but the day's not over and I haven't checked my email in 15 minutes. The only thing the school should have been involved in is giving them an unexcused absense and notifying their parents. That's the end of their responsibility.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I'm just trying to think back to my 8th grade...sexual acts at a party would have been beyond my wildest dreams.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
actually, amend my previous post:

I'm just trying to think back to my 8th grade...sexual acts at a party would have been beyond my wildest dreams

replace 8th grade with 99.99% OF MY ENTIRE LIFE

F

Flo

I'm just trying to think back to my 8th grade...sexual acts at a party would have been beyond my wildest dreams.

Of course we always had chapparones...but at 12 or 13, I didn't know why we needed them, unless it was to break up a fist fight between boys, or a hair pulling fight between girls....:biggrin: Majority of the time, we were just interested in listening to the music or dancing...most of the time the fellas would stand in the corner, and leave us girls to dance with each other.:smile:

F

Flo

I'm just trying to think back to my 8th grade...sexual acts at a party would have been beyond my wildest dreams

SO TRUE!

F

Flo

Originally posted by vraiblonde
ditto. Heck in 8th grade I was still closed-mouth kissing. :blushing:

In my 8th grade classes, maybe a peck on the cheek and holding hands. :wink:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Flo
In my 8th grade classes, maybe a peck on the cheek and holding hands.
We played a game called "7th Heaven" where you were supposed to go in and neck with some boy in the closet for 7 minutes. No necking actually went on because everyone was still too bashful - 12 or 13 was young back then.

A

AlluringFairy

I agree with Vraiblonde. The schools responsibilty should have been to notify the parents of their unexcused absences and required a detention or something of that nature. When I was in high school there was always a senior skip day. It was of course not approved by the school, but that never stopped any of us from doing it. It's a harmless tradition. Having "sex" at this young age is up to the parents to "school" their children. It isn't anyones business what went on their unless they were teh parents involved.:nono:

G

giggles04

:yeahthat:

J

justhangn

Where is the conspiracy theorist??

My vote is on a teacher looking to scope the active students for targeting at a later time. :lol:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
School-Ordered STD Tests Case Is Settled

February 1, 2004 09:31 AM EST

NEW YORK - The city settled a federal lawsuit filed by five female students who were forced to undergo tests for pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases after they skipped school to attend a "hooky party" where there was sexual activity.

School policy regarding medical tests for students would also be revised under the settlement, the New York Times reported Sunday. The amount the girls would be paid was not disclosed.

The lawsuit was filed by the New York Civil Liberties Union after the eighth-grade girls cut school last April to attend the party.

When they returned to school the next day, they were called to the principal's office and told they had to be tested for pregnancy, HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, according to the lawsuit. They were told they could not return to school without a doctor's note that included the test results.

The lawsuit claimed the forced tests violated the students' privacy and their right to attend school. Under new guidelines, school officials cannot order such tests or require students to say whether they are pregnant or have a disease, the Times reported.