Heart Rate Monitor

Khurley

Do these really help with your workout? I do spinning and aerobic classes and see people wearing them all the time.

If they do work - could someone recommend a type/brand?

lovinmaryland

Do these really help with your workout? I do spinning and aerobic classes and see people wearing them all the time.

Yes they make a difference, especially in spin class. I have been borrowing a monitor from a friend for the past few weeks and it has made my work outs so more effective I ended up getting one...

I just bought this one yesterday from overstock.

Polar F6 Women's Heart Rate Monitor : Sports & Fitness from Overstock.com

Khurley

Second Q

Does the chest strap slip around during aerobic/step classes? The Polar F6 seems to be the most popular.

signora

They help if you are someone that wants to see the zone (%) you are working at. I think it depends on the instructor and the type of class they are instructing especially with Spinning because it they are doing different intervals they need to tell you what %'s you should be working at.

Polar has good heart monitors and vary in $ (type depends on what all you want it to do). No, they don't slip when you are working out as long as you have it correctly adjusted on your chest.

lovinmaryland

Does the chest strap slip around during aerobic/step classes? The Polar F6 seems to be the most popular.

I dont do those classes I am so clumsy I would trip and fall on my face I know it :lol:

If you know some one who uses one ask to borrow it (sometimes the spin instructors at my gym offer up their monitor to someone in class who may not have one) to see if you like it first. I ended up loving it.

kerriellen

Sounds like you already got wonderful advice. I want to reinforce that from my experience too. I use a HRM to run. I've never had a problem with it falling off as long as it is tight enough. It is really great to gauge how hard you are really working because sometimes I feel like I'm working really hard, but my heart rate is low, and vice versa.

I got really into HRM training after reading a book called Heart Rate Monitor Training for the Complete Idiot. It is really interesting. I've also found the HRM really helpful in interval training.

Good luck.

Kerri