Be Aware - White Plains and Dr. Pressman

MaxsMom

Well after reading a lot in these threads about Vet referrals and a few references to Dr. Pressman, I thought I should post a new thread about Dr. Pressman at White Plains Animal Hospital.

I took my 5 year old cat Max to him in Dec 06, because Max was urinating outside the litterbox and straining. The urinalysis was clear and I told Dr. Pressman about my having had two cats many, many years ago that had FUS. He told me, oh, there have been so many changes over the years. He said Max had a stress problem that caused irritation, prescribed Amitryptillene (sp?). Max had about two more episodes prior to Nov 07, when I took him back in to Dr. Pressman because there was now blood in the urine. Dr. Pressman did not do a urinalysis, even though he had not seen Max in 11 months, not to mention hematuria!!!!! He gave us an antibiotic, "just in case" there was an infection and said "just keep him happy and calm". On December 22, I noticed Max straining again and started him right way on the meds. The next day he was lethargic, but those meds did that at the full dose. Max urinated on himself that evening, just as he had done the month before when I took him in to the Dr. The next day, Max wasn't perking up like I expected him too. That evening, when I moved him from one room to another, he started open mouth breathing. I took him right away to the Emergency Clinic in Waldorf. They took him back quickly, but by the time they got him on the table, he had stopped breathing. CPR was performed without success. My 6 year old baby died on Christmas Eve. There isn't much to thank God for, only that I got to hold my Max the whole way there.

It took me more than a week before I got the courage to go on the internet to look up how this could have happened. What I found out has angered, no, enraged me! What Max had were the symptoms of FLUTD, which has a very high incidence of leading to a complete blockage, WHICH IS FATAL!!!! DR PRESSMAN NEVER, EVER TOLD ME THIS!!!! He never told me that I could or should make changes in the food and feeding times as well as litter box placement and other precautions. Not to mention the fact that he did not do a urinalysis on a patient he had not seen for almost a year that was presenting with blood in the urine!!!!!!!

If you want to believe that Dr. Pressman is so great because he does not charge for unnecessary tests, then you are gambling with your pet's life.

If you think this case is a fluke, let me tell you about my 3 yr old male cat, who I took to Dr. Pressman for vaccinations. Chopper had bad breath, which I reported to Dr. Pressman. His response? "Oh, some cats just have stinky breath." Well, after what happened with Max, Chopper was the first to go to our new vet and GUESS WHAT? Chopper has dental disease and already, four of his teeth need to be removed. I saw them myself and they are rotted half through or are already loose and wiggling! NOW HERE IS THE WORST PART. Halitosis, or bad breath, is a common, and I stress common, symptom of Feline Leukemia Virus and Feline Auto immunodeficiency Virus!!! Not to mention, if not the primary disease, it is secondary to something else going on, especially in a young cat!!!! AND TO TOP IT OFF, when the new vet called over for Chopper's vaccination record from Dr. Pressman, I discovered Dr. Pressman had only vaccinated him against Rabies and Distemper, and not FLV/FIV, which is the basic standard for vaccinations in any and all cats!!! (thankfully, Chopper tested negative)

This man killed Max, my BFF, I have no doubt of it whatsoever. Maybe because he's so cheap and won't bother you with "unnecessary" care for your loved one. How about Patient and Guardian education, especially in the face of a potentially fatal disease (in BOTH my cats)!!! I can tell you in no uncertain terms, I and most of you, would have rather paid $1,000 for tests and medicines than to have lost a very, very dear friend that did not have to and should not have died.

I have not checked the BBB and State Vet Board but I will be. I have not spoken with Dr. Pressman nor do I ever wish to. PLEASE BELIEVE ME THAT YOU MAY VERY WELL BE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH YOUR PETS LIFE.

Like I said, you could blow this off as a bad experience or coincidence or freak occurrence or whatever with one pet, but not when you look at how he BLEW OFF the care of my younger cat as well. MAX SHOULD NOT HAVE DIED FROM THIS CONDITION AND WOULD NOT HAVE DIED AT THE AGE OF SIX IF NOT FOR DR. PRESSMAN!!!!!

Please, for you and your loved one's sake, do not trust him to do everything that is needed for you and your pet. When I told my new vet what had happened he told me "we don't play that game" and that they will tell me everything they feel my pets need and let ME make the decision.

By the way, the Emergency Clinic in Waldorf was great in the face of this horrific tragedy. They even refunded me 75.00 because they weren't able to save Max. I plan on making them aware of how Max came to them on Christmas Eve as well.

Good luck and God bless,
Max's Mom

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
That is VERY sad and quite distressing. I encourage you to contact the vet and tell him just what you did here and if you had any doubts, no matter how enraged you might be, you have GOT to give tell him this. :huggy:

MaxsMom

Thank you all for your kindness and sympathy. No, I really don't think I can talk to Dr. Pressman. I thought about writing a letter but haven't been able to. Eventually I may do something like that.

After Max died, I might have thought there could be a mistake or miscommunication or something that just went very wrong. I know people make mistakes, even Doctors (I was a Paramedic for many years). But now that I know about Chopper and how he handled that, I just really don't want anything to do with him. Crap, I still cry everyday, so how can I face this man?

Anyway, I'm glad that at least I'm getting the word out. If you really like him as a Vet, at least you might be more aware now.

Peace.

C

ChristineG6

You do have my deepest sympthy! My sister actually sent me the post you had written, and when reading half way through I already knew what was going on with your beloved Max. I have been a vet tech for 14 1/2 years and have seen a lot of these cases. You had mentioned that you had a cat previously that had FUS, and the Emergency Hospital said that Max had FLUTD, a few years ago they had changed the name from FUS to FLUTD. I agree that Dr Pressman should have run another urine analysis on Max, and i'm honestly surprised that when he had run the first one that the crystals didn't show up then. Also you should have been advised to change his diet. This is the thing, it's always a catch 22 situation, if the Vet runs tests and find nothing wrong the owner seems to complain and say that the vet ran tests just to get more money, but in your case he didn't run a test and it ended in tragdy, and you feel that tests should have been run. Honestly people a very quick to file suit against the Vets theses days, either for charging too much when they thought it was not necessary, and those who like you lose their beloved pet.

I am a pet owner as well as a vet tech. I have lost pets of my own and know the heartbreak that you are feeling. My pets are my children just as much as my human children! And I have also helped fight to keep someone elses pet alive, and when it's not successful not only do I feel their heartbreak, but it also breaks my heart.

I do hope that you don't think i'm trying in any way to be negative towards you. Please in the future if in doubt and your vet won't listen or run tests you think are necessary seek a second opnion. I pray this tragdy you have been through never happens again. And I do thank you for writing the post in the hopes other pet owners will learn to ask questions/and or demand tests are run.

mrboswell

Well after reading a lot in these threads about Vet referrals and a few references to Dr. Pressman, I thought I should post a new thread about Dr. Pressman at White Plains Animal Hospital.

I took my 5 year old cat Max to him in Dec 06, because Max was urinating outside the litterbox and straining. The urinalysis was clear and I told Dr. Pressman about my having had two cats many, many years ago that had FUS. He told me, oh, there have been so many changes over the years. He said Max had a stress problem that caused irritation, prescribed Amitryptillene (sp?). Max had about two more episodes prior to Nov 07, when I took him back in to Dr. Pressman because there was now blood in the urine. Dr. Pressman did not do a urinalysis, even though he had not seen Max in 11 months, not to mention hematuria!!!!! He gave us an antibiotic, "just in case" there was an infection and said "just keep him happy and calm". On December 22, I noticed Max straining again and started him right way on the meds. The next day he was lethargic, but those meds did that at the full dose. Max urinated on himself that evening, just as he had done the month before when I took him in to the Dr. The next day, Max wasn't perking up like I expected him too. That evening, when I moved him from one room to another, he started open mouth breathing. I took him right away to the Emergency Clinic in Waldorf. They took him back quickly, but by the time they got him on the table, he had stopped breathing. CPR was performed without success. My 6 year old baby died on Christmas Eve. There isn't much to thank God for, only that I got to hold my Max the whole way there.

It took me more than a week before I got the courage to go on the internet to look up how this could have happened. What I found out has angered, no, enraged me! What Max had were the symptoms of FLUTD, which has a very high incidence of leading to a complete blockage, WHICH IS FATAL!!!! DR PRESSMAN NEVER, EVER TOLD ME THIS!!!! He never told me that I could or should make changes in the food and feeding times as well as litter box placement and other precautions. Not to mention the fact that he did not do a urinalysis on a patient he had not seen for almost a year that was presenting with blood in the urine!!!!!!!

If you want to believe that Dr. Pressman is so great because he does not charge for unnecessary tests, then you are gambling with your pet's life.

If you think this case is a fluke, let me tell you about my 3 yr old male cat, who I took to Dr. Pressman for vaccinations. Chopper had bad breath, which I reported to Dr. Pressman. His response? "Oh, some cats just have stinky breath." Well, after what happened with Max, Chopper was the first to go to our new vet and GUESS WHAT? Chopper has dental disease and already, four of his teeth need to be removed. I saw them myself and they are rotted half through or are already loose and wiggling! NOW HERE IS THE WORST PART. Halitosis, or bad breath, is a common, and I stress common, symptom of Feline Leukemia Virus and Feline Auto immunodeficiency Virus!!! Not to mention, if not the primary disease, it is secondary to something else going on, especially in a young cat!!!! AND TO TOP IT OFF, when the new vet called over for Chopper's vaccination record from Dr. Pressman, I discovered Dr. Pressman had only vaccinated him against Rabies and Distemper, and not FLV/FIV, which is the basic standard for vaccinations in any and all cats!!! (thankfully, Chopper tested negative)

This man killed Max, my BFF, I have no doubt of it whatsoever. Maybe because he's so cheap and won't bother you with "unnecessary" care for your loved one. How about Patient and Guardian education, especially in the face of a potentially fatal disease (in BOTH my cats)!!! I can tell you in no uncertain terms, I and most of you, would have rather paid $1,000 for tests and medicines than to have lost a very, very dear friend that did not have to and should not have died.

I have not checked the BBB and State Vet Board but I will be. I have not spoken with Dr. Pressman nor do I ever wish to. PLEASE BELIEVE ME THAT YOU MAY VERY WELL BE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH YOUR PETS LIFE.

Like I said, you could blow this off as a bad experience or coincidence or freak occurrence or whatever with one pet, but not when you look at how he BLEW OFF the care of my younger cat as well. MAX SHOULD NOT HAVE DIED FROM THIS CONDITION AND WOULD NOT HAVE DIED AT THE AGE OF SIX IF NOT FOR DR. PRESSMAN!!!!!

Please, for you and your loved one's sake, do not trust him to do everything that is needed for you and your pet. When I told my new vet what had happened he told me "we don't play that game" and that they will tell me everything they feel my pets need and let ME make the decision.

By the way, the Emergency Clinic in Waldorf was great in the face of this horrific tragedy. They even refunded me 75.00 because they weren't able to save Max. I plan on making them aware of how Max came to them on Christmas Eve as well.

Good luck and God bless,
Max's Mom
I feel for you and your loss,but I do have to ask,you gave TWO examples of his incompetency. Why didd you return to him a second time if he showed you previously he was not doing a good job? Again,not trying to be rude or make you feel to blame but this sounds strange to me?

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
Honestly people a very quick to file suit against the Vets theses days, either for charging too much when they thought it was not necessary, and those who like you lose their beloved pet.

I agree this can be the case and my old vet was expecting one from me. Do to the bad way they handled my baby Alex a 15 yr old Hymie that we had to put down. They asked us about his remains and we asked for creamation with return. We did delay the answer until we departed the office, it was a hard time for us. Someone forgot to include his return in the directions. I never got my baby back.

He did pay for the fees himself, and said it was wrong and applogiesed and asked what he could do. I told him nothing. What can you do at that point, Nothing! Between that and a few issues with a new vet their I decided my animals and myself would be better served elsewhere. It was a hard decision to leave a vets office we had been with since we moved to the area in 8 yrs ago.