LCD Monitor Calibration Help

JEB

I thought posting here would be better than the Computer Forum.
I just got a ViewSonic 22" LCD.
So, naturally I decided to check-out its adjustments.
First with my video cards software, then adobe gamma, and then with a free download QuickGamma. I've tried to avoided conflicts.
But I've never been able to get the 2.2 or any where near.
It is like I need 1._ or something.
Any ideas?

I thought posting here would be better than the Computer Forum.
I just got a ViewSonic 22" LCD.
So, naturally I decided to check-out its adjustments.
First with my video cards software, then adobe gamma, and then with a free download QuickGamma. I've tried to avoided conflicts.
But I've never been able to get the 2.2 or any where near.
It is like I need 1._ or something.
Any ideas?

You probably need something like this....
LaCie - Calibrators

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
GW--I was hoping for something more basic/simple/cheap.

JEB, Most of the things I have read are that the cheap and free Gamma or color correction stuff does not work. Which makes sense, since you are using you eye to do the calibration. Thats like trying to build a deck and make it level by just using your eye. I tryed doing the gamma correction stuff and finially gave in and bought the SPyder 2 by color vision. It is much better not trusting your eye for something like that.

JEB, Most of the things I have read are that the cheap and free Gamma or color correction stuff does not work. Which makes sense, since you are using you eye to do the calibration. Thats like trying to build a deck and make it level by just using your eye. I tryed doing the gamma correction stuff and finially gave in and bought the SPyder 2 by color vision. It is much better not trusting your eye for something like that.

:yeahthat: By your own admission, Jeb, the "cheap" tools are not doing the job. If you want accurate calibration, you need real calibration tools.

JEB

This old carpenter is not blaming his tools.
But I'm having a hard time getting started.

Max the contrast, then adj brightness, then adj gamma.
These initial steps just won't make those little gray lines behave.
So I'm going with what looks right.
Same as if the level's not right.

One of the guys I work with bought something like the LaCie solution for his 2 laptops... they were drastically different and now there are spot on! I will check and re-post...

One of the guys I work with bought something like the LaCie solution for his 2 laptops... they were drastically different and now there are spot on! I will check and re-post...

Color Control - huey™PRO

The Pantone Huey Pro costs between $90 and $120... It works on both the Macintosh and Windows platform. We used it to synchronize the whites between the two laptops (Mac and PC). They were drastically different, but with the software, they are spot on.

It runs a small application which does the sync... and it does not phone home - we extensively monitor and check for this.

I only pointed out the LaCie because I was aware it was there, used it as an example. I don't have any customers doing critical imaging, so I hadn't researched other devices. I just knew that technology was going to be needed in the long run.

JEB

Maybe I should have said 'monitor adjustment' instead of 'monitor calibration'.
Thanks for all the trouble, but I'm not at perfection yet. Just trying to look at my pics without too much of a handicap.

I only pointed out the LaCie because I was aware it was there, used it as an example. I don't have any customers doing critical imaging, so I hadn't researched other devices. I just knew that technology was going to be needed in the long run.

My office mate (another sysadmin) is picky about screens and to be honest, the two were WAY off - the whites were drastically different.

He normally sets them for preference for him and then duplicates them with this tool.

At my corporate office they actually calibrate the monitors to the printers using another tool and process which I will not pretend to understand! :lol: