Sewing Machines

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
What's the best sewing machine out there? I have a Singer that is really not that great and it needs about $100 worth of repair. That's prolly all it's worth. So.. I'm in the market for a new one. Not super fancy, not too expensive and user-friendly.
Any suggestions?

M

Mousebaby

I have a Brother sewing machine that I have had for over 10 yrs. It's one of their very basic machines, I paid less than $100.00 for it and I love it! It has never let me down! :howdy:

Pandora

I have a Brother CS-6000 computerized stitch. Love it! :howdy:

I retired my Singer after finding out that nobody around wants to work on the old belt driven type machines.

Robin

I have a Brother sewing machine that I have had for over 10 yrs. It's one of their very basic machines, I paid less than $100.00 for it and I love it! It has never let me down! :howdy:

we must have close to the same model Mine is a few years older but it has never let me down. I have only replaced a needed or two and it has not skipped a stitch. I think I purchased it in 92 for $79.00.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I just replaced a Pfaff and a Singer with a sewing machine from Target. Works great! Now I need a new serger. :ohwell:

H

HouseCat

Just stay away from Wal-mart/K-mart when you buy one. I have a Janome. Paid $299 for it 5 years ago. Still sews awesome. Well worth the money. White is a good brand too, I've heard.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
What's the best sewing machine out there? I have a Singer that is really not that great and it needs about $100 worth of repair. That's prolly all it's worth. So.. I'm in the market for a new one. Not super fancy, not too expensive and user-friendly.
Any suggestions?

I bought a new singer at white trash mart for like $110 and I love it. Nothing super fancy just all the regular stitches and button holer

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Just stay away from Wal-mart/K-mart when you buy one. I have a Janome. Paid $299 for it 5 years ago. Still sews awesome. Well worth the money. White is a good brand too, I've heard.

Gosh those are soo nice. I saw them at that sewing place up by KenMar liquors.. one was on sale for $300 :yikes: Maybe one day....

H

HouseCat

Gosh those are soo nice. I saw them at that sewing place up by KenMar liquors.. one was on sale for $300 :yikes: Maybe one day....
It is worth it though... they're under warranty for quite a while too. Maybe placing a want-ad in the classifieds here might help? Never know who is upgrading and selling an older model. Or, check the specialty stores to see if they have a layaway/payment plan option.
I might do that myself. I've been wanting to upgrade to a model with more options, but like you.. .that price tag.. ouch! I'll call around and see if I can find stores that offer these options and post it later. (hope I don't forget..everything is closed right now.)

luvscats

I have an old belt driven Singer. Dunkirk Sew/Vac put a new belt on and made an adjustment to my machine. It's one of those old black Singers from the 40s/50s. It really doesn't do anything fancy :) but I love it and it keeps right on humming along.

Anyway, I'd check with them to see what they have on hand for sale. Good luck!

H

HouseCat

I have a Brother and I like it. Brother is made by Singer.

Those machines are good for very simple, straight stitching; repairing a hem, etc. I had one of those and it tore up within 4 months, because I was sewing patches/stripes on USAF battle dress uniforms. They are not meant for heavy duty sewing. But for sewing a simple quilt, or pattern, they're ok. Just make sure you keep it lubricated, and never sew over pins (like I did.. der! that will knock the timing out of whack and make the stitches skip/loose.) and it should last you for a while.

I'm sure you already know that though...just in case someone else is contemplating buying one; I thought I'd share my exp. with them. Like cars, I seem to tear up sewing machines quite a bit.. so far, my Janome has put up with me the longest. :blushing: lol

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Those machines are good for very simple, straight stitching; repairing a hem, etc. I had one of those and it tore up within 4 months, because I was sewing patches/stripes on USAF battle dress uniforms. They are not meant for heavy duty sewing. But for sewing a simple quilt, or pattern, they're ok. Just make sure you keep it lubricated, and never sew over pins (like I did.. der! that will knock the timing out of whack and make the stitches skip/loose.) and it should last you for a while.

I'm sure you already know that though...just in case someone else is contemplating buying one; I thought I'd share my exp. with them. Like cars, I seem to tear up sewing machines quite a bit.. so far, my Janome has put up with me the longest. :blushing: lol

I'm saving up for a Janome... I've made up my mind... I do so much sewing... feedbags, canvas, jeans, you name it... I made all my cloth diapers on the singer.. it could barely get one done...I need a tough one.

For what I paid for it, it's definitely not a super high quality machine meant to last forever. If it was a car, it'd be a Chevy Aveo while the Janome would be a Caddy.