Inkpen, can birds...

M

Mousebaby

Have rabies???? :bawl:

I got a bird from my hairdresser and I was trimming his wings and he bit the pee out of me!!!! :bawl:

Seriously, do I need to be worried about anything, like getting my tetinus shot? :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Aww...I have a c0ckatiel. You should wrap him in a towel when trimming his nails and wings. Have you clipped wings before?

belvak

Happy Camper
We used to have a cockatiel. Son signed up for the Marines, so he gave the bird to a co-worker's friend. That bird was a hoot but he definitely didn't want anyone to hold him. :lmao: We actually "acquired" him when we were on vacation in Luray, VA. We went to a lake and while Hubby and Son were off around the lake fishing, they kept hearing a bird. Eventually, Hubby spotted the cockatiel and talked him down out of a tree. We had to go to the local WalMart and buy a cage to bring him home in. It was really lucky that we found him, because they had a weird drop in temperature with rain that night and if he had been out in it, he would probably not have survived. We had him for about 5 years before our Son gave him away. Sorry for the long post, but you reminded me of "Fred" and I just wanted to share the story. BTW, he is doing fine in his new home and I get updates often!

M

Mousebaby

Aww...I have a c0ckatiel. You should wrap him in a towel when trimming his nails and wings. Have you clipped wings before?

Yes, but I was told that this one was tame and wouldn't hurt a soul. :lmao:

She's right, he is very tame and placid until you mess with his wings! I can only assume he has had bad experiences in the past. I felt sorry for the poor little guy. I got him all trimmed up and now I am going to let him be for a few days and let him get acclimated. (shoulda did that in the first place :doh:)

M

Mousebaby

I love this particular breed of bird they are so much fun and don't really cost alot. What sux is, I just spent 140.00 on a new bird last week!!! Now I got people trying to GIVE me their birds! I shoulda just waited! :ohwell:

dawn

Have rabies???? :bawl:

I got a bird from my hairdresser and I was trimming his wings and he bit the pee out of me!!!! :bawl:

Seriously, do I need to be worried about anything, like getting my tetinus shot? :popcorn:

I was feeding some ducks at the pond in hugesville and this newby duck with some red thing on its head started chasing me, it grabbed a hold of my sweatpants (at the butt) and pulled them down to my thighs. When the duck lunged, it bit me. I went to civista and was told that an animal that is hatched can not carry the rabies virus. I dont know how true it is, other than the medical personnal at the hospital told me that.

I dont think they had much experience with duck bites, because they called the police (it was an animal bite) and the police told them they didnt need to take a report for the duck bite.:lmao: they did give me a tetinus shot (but I was due for one anyway).

Nanny Pam

I love this particular breed of bird they are so much fun and don't really cost alot. What sux is, I just spent 140.00 on a new bird last week!!! Now I got people trying to GIVE me their birds! I shoulda just waited! :ohwell:

I'd love to have a bird! The kids would love it, too.

S

SmowPea

I acquired two breeding cockateils last weekend. They are 7 months old, and I got a great deal from a girl who had an ad on somd.com. I paid $75 for both birds AND a large cage. I went out and bought them some toys, treats and food. They are so kewl. The male is all white with a hint of grey on his face. The female is a pearl. They are both beautiful. The female is rather timid and quiet, but the male is LOUD and mean, but I'm working with them. They obviously were not hand-raised. Now... they did "their thing" on Sunday -- hey Paso or anyone else who may know -- when should I expect her to lay her eggs so I can be prepared? I still have some research to do but just looking for a quick answer!

VduvUMarie

I have a 4 year old female cinnamon-pearl! She is amazing and is in TOTAL LOVE with my boyfriend. We only have her but she lays dead eggs on the regular, and our vet said it was because she feels comfortable and secure. So maybe when your birds get comfortable around each other she may start laying.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I acquired two breeding cockateils last weekend. They are 7 months old, and I got a great deal from a girl who had an ad on somd.com. I paid $75 for both birds AND a large cage. I went out and bought them some toys, treats and food. They are so kewl. The male is all white with a hint of grey on his face. The female is a pearl. They are both beautiful. The female is rather timid and quiet, but the male is LOUD and mean, but I'm working with them. They obviously were not hand-raised. Now... they did "their thing" on Sunday -- hey Paso or anyone else who may know -- when should I expect her to lay her eggs so I can be prepared? I still have some research to do but just looking for a quick answer!

Do you have a nesting box and bedding? I think they like to "court" the female and build a "lovenest" before they really get it on.