Morons in the gym...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...so I'm benching this AM, right? Normal routine, normal warm up, work my way up to this weeks weight and I can only get 6 reps. I'm like 'wtf?'. So, I get some water and breath, and come back and try again. My routine is 3 sets of 12 bar, slow, stretching, warming up, then 12 25's, then 12 35's then the new weight, 12, 10, 8, 6, then drop back down 12 35's, 12 25's, done. I try again. 6. And it feels like a house at this point. Not even trying for 7.

So, I'm waving the white flag and as I'm taking plates off I notice I added a pair of 10's, not my normal 5's when I go up.

Dumb azz. So, I put 5's on and struggle my azz off to get back on routine, coming up short each set as I'm already gassed.

I'm not heavy lifter my any means, but it just blew my mind how much heavier an extra 10 pounds felt.

T

toppick08

...so I'm benching this AM, right? Normal routine, normal warm up, work my way up to this weeks weight and I can only get 6 reps. I'm like 'wtf?'. So, I get some water and breath, and come back and try again. My routine is 3 sets of 12 bar, slow, stretching, warming up, then 12 25's, then 12 35's then the new weight, 12, 10, 8, 6, then drop back down 12 35's, 12 25's, done. I try again. 6. And it feels like a house at this point. Not even trying for 7.

So, I'm waving the white flag and as I'm taking plates off I notice I added a pair of 10's, not my normal 5's when I go up.

Dumb azz. So, I put 5's on and struggle my azz off to get back on routine, coming up short each set as I'm already gassed.

I'm not heavy lifter my any means, but it just blew my mind how much heavier an extra 10 pounds felt.
Benching is my least favorite thing.....not suited for long arms....But I do enjoy curling and flys......10 lbs. on bench is very noticeable for me, but not for other exercises......:howdy:

warneckutz

Benching is my least favorite thing.....not suited for long arms....But I do enjoy curling and flys......10 lbs. on bench is very noticeable for me, but not for other exercises......:howdy:

I have an easier time doing incline bench over flat bench. I have no idea why but it doesn't hurt my shoulder as much and I get a better range of motions.

Vince

Can't bench heavy anymore. The bar restricts my movement too much and after two rotator cuff surgeries, I don't want another. I can go heavier on the dumbells. I have been told by the physical fitness pro's that if you can't get at least 7 reps out, lower your weight. Don't know why 7. I think they just picked a number. :lol:

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
I have an easier time doing incline bench over flat bench. I have no idea why but it doesn't hurt my shoulder as much and I get a better range of motions.

Hubby was told to do incline over flat after his shoulder surgery. Doing dumbells is perferred.

Personally, I don't see any problems with Mormons in the gym. They're just like anyone else, they need to keep in shape, too. I mean, what does a person's religion have to do with whether or not they are in the gym?? My momma, Mrs. RosannaDanna always used to say....

Chevy: Rosanna, the word is "moron", not "Mormon".

Rosanna: Oh. Nevermind......

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I refuse...

Personally, I don't see any problems with Mormons in the gym. They're just like anyone else, they need to keep in shape, too. I mean, what does a person's religion have to do with whether or not they are in the gym?? My momma, Mrs. RosannaDanna always used to say....

...to work out with people who won't let their hair down and put on smelly sweats.

:lmao:

B

Big Fatty

OK, here is my two cents.
1. Ater all those sets/reps, I would be gassed too. And trying to PR with an extra 10lbs? Hell yeah, I would be fried.

2. There are so many variables involved but just realize you cannot duplicate the same 100% effort or break PRs every day you train. It is near impossible. Think of it this way. You think what you did today, you could do tomorrow? Do you think if say you got 2 hours sleep you could perform at 100%? How about if you didn't eat that preworkout meal and tried to train at a high level? Or say you had a stressful day at work? My point is: you can only give 100% of whatever 100% is for that day. Follow?

3. Maybe you are overtrained. Time to rest or try something new. Rest is a variable in training plans few account for.

Things to think about.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hey...

Things to think about.

...I'm all for that. If you would like to offer some guidance, I'd be happy to hear it.

Here's what I do now;

M,W,F; stretch, warm up, 10 minutes. Then jog (plod) 3-4 miles. 40-45 minutes including cool down. Goal; cardio. Work up to 5 miles 3* a week over the next six months.

6 sets of crunches, 15 center, 15 right and left, per set. About 10 minutes. Goal; core strength, stability and stamina.

Then off to the bench. My goal here is an emphasis on NOT hurting my shoulders, firm up the chest and get stronger. I don't even try to find what my max 1 rep is. I just wanna slowly get stronger with weight I can always handle on my own.

Then I curl, 12 per arm per set, 35, 30, 25, 20 then 15 pounds. Dumbells. Goal; Decent guns. :lmao:

I'm in there for 2 hours and feel great.

Thoughts? Critique?

PrepH4U

Actually that is the way I read the title at first :lol: