Anyone a Travel Agent????

JLS

Just wondering what other career path I should get into.. how do u become a travel agent? Meaning - do u take college classes or do u have to take a special class through an agency or ?? anyone have any ideas?

devenny99

Travel agent

My travel agent is Amy Baker ata Cruise Planners. I don't think she would mind answering some questions.:howdy:

signora

Just wondering what other career path I should get into.. how do u become a travel agent? Meaning - do u take college classes or do u have to take a special class through an agency or ?? anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure of the requirements now or what type of courses are offered at the colleges in MD (I'm new to MD), but years ago I had went to a Jr. College in PA who offered the course (Travel Agency & Computer Reservation Training Certificate Program. It was a 6 month course (I think you had to complete a certain amount of hours) where you also learned the airline reservation system. You had to pass the course in order to receive your certificate from the Institute of Certified Travel Agents.

It was a good course and if it's something you want to do, you should pursue it. If you cannot find a local college/school that offers courses for it, you should check out online schools. I chose not to pursue it as a career path. Even though there are a lot of travel agencies out there, I just wonder do more people book their own travel thru the Internet then go thru a travel agency.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Just wondering what other career path I should get into.. how do u become a travel agent? anyone have any ideas?

I just wonder do more people book their own travel thru the Internet then go thru a travel agency.

I would think becoming a travel agent in 2008 would be as good a career move as becoming a buggy wheel maker in 1908

signora

I would think becoming a travel agent in 2008 would be as good a career move as becoming a buggy wheel maker in 1908

:killingme I think as P/T job it wouldn't be bad and it does have it's benefits like going on fam trips. I just think a majority of people book flights, hotel reservations, etc. themselves on the internet.

JLS

I'm not sure of the requirements now or what type of courses are offered at the colleges in MD (I'm new to MD), but years ago I had went to a Jr. College in PA who offered the course (Travel Agency & Computer Reservation Training Certificate Program. It was a 6 month course (I think you had to complete a certain amount of hours) where you also learned the airline reservation system. You had to pass the course in order to receive your certificate from the Institute of Certified Travel Agents.

It was a good course and if it's something you want to do, you should pursue it. If you cannot find a local college/school that offers courses for it, you should check out online schools. I chose not to pursue it as a career path. Even though there are a lot of travel agencies out there, I just wonder do more people book their own travel thru the Internet then go thru a travel agency.

Thanks for all the info!! I'll have to look again - I kinda looked under CSM for "Travel Agent" or "Travel" anything and didn't really find anything but didn't really looking under computer reservation stuff.. Thanks for the tip!!

TRAVELWORX

Travel Agent

Hello, I am a Travel Agent and did not go to school for it. I would suggest some type of training but you may be able to find an agency that will train you as you go...that is how i learned.... I do now run a Travel Agency from home now..... I with you the best in what ever carree path you choose.. Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know...