What should I buy

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
I am looking for an entry level Digital SLR that will shoot some great photo's but won't send me to the poor house. Even something used is OK. I was looking at the Nikon D40X. A little more than I want to spend. Anyone have any recommendations or input?

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I am looking for an entry level Digital SLR that will shoot some great photo's but won't send me to the poor house. Even something used is OK. I was looking at the Nikon D40X. A little more than I want to spend. Anyone have any recommendations or input?

Talk to JBR13 here on the forum. His camera takes GREAT pictures. :biggrin:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Talk to JBR13 here on the forum. His camera takes GREAT pictures. :biggrin:

:lmao:

253695198_4ETZv-XL-0.jpg

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com

workaholic, First the D40 and D40X are Nikons baseline DSLR's and they don't get much cheaper in price except used cameras or refurbished. Second, you have to remember that once you get a DSLR you usually will have to get another lens or a few more accessories, which bring the price up even more, ie. I started with a $650 D50, and a year later I had about $3000 between the camera I don't follow Canon to know what they have to offer in this area, but can give you a quick run down on Nikon.
THese prices and approx. and from B&H Photo. Watch when you look at cheaper prices, make sure you stuff always comes with a USA warrenty. If it is cheaper it might be an import or grey market, which comes with no warenty.

New D40X w/18-55mm lens- $600

New D40 w/ 18-55mm lens- $500

New D40 w/ 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens- $575

Looking at Craigslist.com

Used D70S w/ no lens - $550 you would spend another $120for the 18-55mm

Used D50 w/ 18-55 and 55-200 lenses - $595

I have seen refurbished D50 for around $399 with no lens somewhere before as well.

With the D40 and D40X autofocus is supported only with AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor. Older used lenses will work but you may have to use manual focus.

Out of the Nikons have listed the D50 is getting hard to find but is touted as the better camera, plus the D70S and D50 can use the older lenses.

Now if you still feel this DSLR stuff is out of your price range, there are a few really good point and shot camera that for the price are much more practical.

You can spend $300-400 dollars and have a 6-8 MegaPixel point and shoot with 10-15X optical zoom that has the manual modes like a SLR camera and get really great shots. SLR-like point and shoots are a great cameras that save you a lot of money in zoom lenses. These cameras can turn out pictures just as good as the ones you see of mine. Remember, its not all in the camera, I have taken some really crappy pictures with really expensive cameras!

Well this is my 2 cents or a little more.

Hope it helps.

ylexot

Super Genius

Define "sending you to the poor house." Your poor house is different from mine.

Canon or Nikon...take your pick. Some think Canon is better, some think Nikon is better.

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
OK so heres the next questions. I am new to the whole Photography thing. What should I be looking for in a camera. Obviously everyone has their own opinion on Nikon vs Canon. But I know I want to get the most mega pixels I can but what else do I need to look for.

I know the D40x is a 10 MP camera along with the D80. The price difference is huge. So what makes the D80 better?

I guess I don't understand all of the lingo and benefits of different things. Again I am just getting into this. I am thinking start small and work my way into it.

ylexot

Super Genius
But I know I want to get the most mega pixels I can
:smack: NO! Unless you are printing posters, you're not going to see much difference between 6MP and 20MP.
I guess I don't understand all of the lingo and benefits of different things. Again I am just getting into this. I am thinking start small and work my way into it.
Learn first. Get camera second. Things to learn:
ISO
aperture/f-stop
shutter speed
the relationship between the three
focal length
field of view
depth of field
crop sensor
full frame
bit depth
RAW vs JPEG
buffer size/speed
fps
chromatic aberration (or "purple fringing")
barrel distortion
vignetting
histogram

If you insist on getting a camera now, get a cheap camera and put the big money into lenses.

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
OK so heres the next questions. I am new to the whole Photography thing. What should I be looking for in a camera. Obviously everyone has their own opinion on Nikon vs Canon. But I know I want to get the most mega pixels I can but what else do I need to look for.

I know the D40x is a 10 MP camera along with the D80. The price difference is huge. So what makes the D80 better?

As said above, I think you take the time to learn the things listed. Get a $200-300 Point and shot camera that has the manual modes like Maunal, Shutter Priority, and Aperture Priority and learn how to use them. This does two things, one it lets you learn how to use a camera and these modes for a much smaller investment. Secondly, you can find out if you want to take to photography further. Another good thing is to get a few books on how to use a digital camera from the library.

Good luck and have fun!!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Obviously everyone has their own opinion on Nikon vs Canon.
Sorry for our "fighting" posts getting you off-track a bit. I know very little about Nikon, but some things are universal, so I can tell you a few things.

But I know I want to get the most mega pixels I can
Actually, that is virtually a non-issue nowadays. Even with an 8MP camera you can print as large as you will probably ever want.

More important things are high ISO (light sensitivity) performance, burst rate, autofocus accuracy, and overall speed. Those are not set rules though; for example, if you plan to shoot mostly landscapes, you needn't pay much attention to the burst rate.

IMO, what you ought to do is go to a store - like Penn Camera - and try a few different cameras. Hold them, work with them a little, and see which one you feel comfortable with. Don't let anyone sell you anything, though; there are several Nikon folks here who can give you solid, unbiased advice.