Where to get car calibrated?

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
I was wondering if anyone knew a local shop that would be able to calibrate my speedometer? Any information is appreciated.

Elmo

I had the same problem with my Pontiac I had and couldn't find anyone to help me out. I ended up having to go to the dealership to get it fixed and wasen't cheap either. They had to send away my cluster to get it fixed. When this happens it really sucks.

MrX

High Octane
What kind of car and why does it need calibration? Change rear gears? Tire size?

E

(((echo)))

funny you should mention this
I got in the beast yesterday and the speedo was 20mph fast!?
got in it today...now it's 10mph fast!?

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
Haha funny you should say that. The reason I want to get this done is because I was pulled over for doing 63 on 231 by one of CC's finest. I know for a fact that I wasn't speeding because the cruise control was on 50 and I do not speed.

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
That's what it looks like I'm going to do. I can do anything else mechanical wise on a car but when it comes down to this, I have no clue.

maxpower

I was wondering if anyone knew a local shop that would be able to calibrate my speedometer? Any information is appreciated.

Most of todays newer vehicles have the tire size programmed into the Transmission control module. The trans control module then controls the speedometer. If the wrong tire size is programmed it will throw off the speedometer. Keep in mind that all vehicles can have a + 0r - 5% off on this reading

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Are you still having speedo problems? Could be a slipping clutch. That would make it read fast. That is how I knew I needed a new clutch on my Beretta.

I've never seen a speedo that was driven pre-transmision. I suppose it's possible but...

Echo, when you first start the car, do the gauges all jump to max, drop down, then jump to operating parameters? If the speedo does this, then it's actually stepper driven and you have most likely have an electrical problem.

If NOT, then you have an analog speedo and the temp probably dropped low enough to thicken the fluid in the viscous coupling within the speedo.

That used to happen every winter on my Grand National and on my 83 Toyota pickup.