Mothman Prophecies

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Just saw it and I am still not sure if I liked it or not. I guess I was expecting something much different. Glad I waited to rent it though . . . .
Does anyone know how much of that was based on the truth? Just curious . . .

blueeyes76

i don't think very much of it was based on the truth. i read a little about the mothman when the movie first came out and don't remember there being that much of a story at all. a lot of people just claimed to see an unusual creature.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
It's loosely based on a book which is full of purported accounts. In that regard, I'd give it about as much credibility on how 'true' it is as I would any of several UFO abduction movies. The trailers gave me the general sense I was going to watch an X-Files episode, so I passed on it. Maybe I'll give it a rental, but I'll probably have a back-up rental.

SxyPrincess

I'm still in a toss over this movie. I saw it and liked some parts and then, thought some scenes were slightly boring. I guess the only reason I rented the movie was to see how gracefully Richard Gere is aging. :yum:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Haven't hear of this movie. I know in the classic graphic novel Watchmen, there's a superhero named Mothman.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Thats the same way I felt Sxy - parts were interesting but then I kept getting bored. Definately glad I didn't see it in the theater!
Frank - I would make it the rainy day - wanna get a movie but seems like we already saw everything thats out - rental. I thought the plot was pretty bad - I guess because it was based on not very much at all . . . . .

romance

One of the sinners
I saw the movie and it is nothing like I learned in WV history class (being from WV I had to learn most of the history) My teacher was a "spook buff" and we learned all the haunted houses and creepy stuff in WV.
The movie was somewhat based on actual events but thats only cause the bridge did fall, the towns people were seeing things and the sheriff there did believe them.

We were taught in school that it happened in the mid 60's. Not sure exactly when though ( I sucked at history) The mothman was reported though (and this sticks out for some reason in my mind) as a demotic creature with large red eyes and bat like wings. I had to see the movie souly because it was based on thigns that happened in WV but I say the movie sucked compared to the lit. my history teacher gave us on it.

There used to be a site you could read all the police reports and stuff on the mothman but the site was taken down a few years ago cause the people who filed the reports did not want their stories out there. (well the children of these people now)