Dust on Digital SLR Mirror

Nupe2

Had a great time today folks (met a bunch of Forumites...hey that's my camera on that rock! :lol:)

That was the good news....the bad news is that I apparently have some dust on my mirror. I know better than to try to clean it and have found a company in DC that can clean it (Strauss). Here's my question - anybody here ever had that problem? If so, how much did it cost to clean? I've heard it could be as much as $200. :yikes:

Looks like I should break down and get another camera body. That way I wouldn't have to change lenses as often.

Anyway, today was fun. We drove about 150 miles and I got to St. George's Island and Piney Point for the first time. Meeting Danzig, Jameo, CMC, et. al was icing on the cake!

Great to meet you folks! :howdy:

T

TwilightImaging

Wow...dust on the mirror won't effect the image, but will be a pain, dust on the sensor is another story. if ever I can't clean them off theres a camera store here that goes through the body and lenses for $45.00 while you wait. Seems steep, I may be wrong, but...
Hope it helps?
Are you sure it's not on the sensor? or a scratch?

Nupe2

Wow...dust on the mirror won't effect the image, but will be a pain, dust on the sensor is another story. if ever I can't clean them off theres a camera store here that goes through the body and lenses for $45.00 while you wait. Seems steep, I may be wrong, but...
Hope it helps?
Are you sure it's not on the sensor? or a scratch?

I think you're right. It might be on the sensor. I've attached an example of what I'm getting. Also, what's the name of the store and where is it located?

Thanks! :yay:

Attachments

• DSC_6437e.jpg
    DSC_6437e.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 109
T

TwilightImaging

yea, any images on the mirror will not end up in the image, have you switched lenses, it might be in the lens, if not, it's the sensor. Unfortunately, the store is here in TX. I am sure some of the local fav's could help you out with removing it or steering you in the right direction...200 is too much though. They make kits for cleaning sensors but you have to be careful, and don't use "lens" cleaning fluid on the swab :) sorry i cant help more.

E

(((echo)))

Had a great time today folks (met a bunch of Forumites...hey that's my camera on that rock! :lol:)

That was the good news....the bad news is that I apparently have some dust on my mirror. I know better than to try to clean it and have found a company in DC that can clean it (Strauss). Here's my question - anybody here ever had that problem? If so, how much did it cost to clean? I've heard it could be as much as $200. :yikes:

Looks like I should break down and get another camera body. That way I wouldn't have to change lenses as often.

Anyway, today was fun. We drove about 150 miles and I got to St. George's Island and Piney Point for the first time. Meeting Danzig, Jameo, CMC, et. al was icing on the cake!

Great to meet you folks! :howdy:

hold it under warm water for 20 min :lol:
J/K don't do this

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Nupe, it was nice meeting you today!!!

Re: dust on the mirror...besides being visually annoying when you're composing a shot it's not really a big deal. Dust on the mirror will NOT show up in pictures. If you have a hurricane or rocket blower you can get the dust off though. Make sure you camera is off, face it so that the lens is facing down. Take off the lens. Poof the blower in at an angle a couple times. Visually inspect...clean mirror!! Replace lens and enjoy!

Now, if you have dust on your sensor really small particles aren't usually visible until you've stopped down to about F8, but really at F11 and it's a blizzard at F22. I'm anal about how I change lenses so I've *knock on wood* been able to keep pretty darn clean sensors. There's a lot of debate about locking up the mirror and using the hurricane blower on the sensor. Some say "No prob." Some shriek in fear. I've also got a Copperhill kit (liquid sensor cleaning kit). When I was in Canada and Montana alot of the photogs had just purchased Artic Butterflies. They were quite fun to see and use. :):

Nupe2

yea, any images on the mirror will not end up in the image, have you switched lenses, it might be in the lens, if not, it's the sensor. Unfortunately, the store is here in TX. I am sure some of the local fav's could help you out with removing it or steering you in the right direction...200 is too much though. They make kits for cleaning sensors but you have to be careful, and don't use "lens" cleaning fluid on the swab :) sorry i cant help more.

Yep. Switched lenses and the mark is still there. I'm giving Strauss a call on Monday....:ohwell:

Thanks!

T

TwilightImaging

Better safe than sorry...get with some of the local md'ers and I'm sure they would be glad to show the right way to swab the sensor in the future... Believe it or not...debris in the lens can be REALLY 'spensive:(

Nupe2

Nupe, it was nice meeting you today!!!

Re: dust on the mirror...besides being visually annoying when you're composing a shot it's not really a big deal. Dust on the mirror will NOT show up in pictures. If you have a hurricane or rocket blower you can get the dust off though. Make sure you camera is off, face it so that the lens is facing down. Take off the lens. Poof the blower in at an angle a couple times. Visually inspect...clean mirror!! Replace lens and enjoy!

Now, if you have dust on your sensor really small particles aren't usually visible until you've stopped down to about F8, but really at F11 and it's a blizzard at F22. I'm anal about how I change lenses so I've *knock on wood* been able to keep pretty darn clean sensors. There's a lot of debate about locking up the mirror and using the hurricane blower on the sensor. Some say "No prob." Some shriek in fear. I've also got a Copperhill kit (liquid sensor cleaning kit). When I was in Canada and Montana alot of the photogs had just purchased Artic Butterflies. They were quite fun to see and use. :):

Nice meeting you too. We are a hardy bunch aren't we? When we got home, my sister-in-law called wondering where we had been all day. I think she's jealous cuz she spent the day in the house.

As far as the sensor issue. I'll post on Monday after I hear from Strauss. I think I'll probably run over there on my lunch hour if they can clean it for a reasonable price.

I still need some pics so me and the backup may be out again tomorrow.

Cheers! :buddies:

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
Nice meeting you too. We are a hardy bunch aren't we? When we got home, my sister-in-law called wondering where we had been all day. I think she's jealous cuz she spent the day in the house.

As far as the sensor issue. I'll post on Monday after I hear from Strauss. I think I'll probably run over there on my lunch hour if they can clean it for a reasonable price.

I still need some pics so me and the backup may be out again tomorrow.

Cheers! :buddies:

Nupe, It was nice meeting you at Point Lookout yesterday!

I may be able to help a little with the sensor. I clean mine, but I don't thing your camera uses the same swabs as the D50. I do have a good dust blower, that may take that spec of dust off of there. If Strauss gives you a reasonable price, it maybe worth just letting them clean in. They will probably do the sensor, mirror and all. If it is to high, let me know and we can see what the blower will remove.

Nupe2

Nupe, It was nice meeting you at Point Lookout yesterday!

I may be able to help a little with the sensor. I clean mine, but I don't thing your camera uses the same swabs as the D50. I do have a good dust blower, that may take that spec of dust off of there. If Strauss gives you a reasonable price, it maybe worth just letting them clean in. They will probably do the sensor, mirror and all. If it is to high, let me know and we can see what the blower will remove.

Thanks JBR...I'll let you know what I find out...I'm on hold with them now.

(edit: about $45 to diagnose and repair the sensor. I'm going to drop it off in the morning and it should take a couple of days to repair)

Great to meet you on Saturday! :buddies:

Last edited: