All you photography people

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I am looking to purchase a camera for pictures of my children, holidays, sports events, etc. I can not afford a $3000.00 camera I just need something affordable to take decent pictures to have for the later years.

Thanks to Mousebaby she recommend the first one, but I also found the second one that looks like it might be the newer version of the one she showed me.

What would you recommend? Thoughts?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8K, 7.2 Megapixel, 12x Optical/4x Digital Zoom SLR Digital Camera (Black)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50K 10.1 Megapixel 12x Optical/2x Digital Zoom Digital Camera (Black)

Thanks in advance
sanchezf

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I just noticed the difference the first one has 4x Digital zoom SLR and the second one has 2x Digital zoom.

I am guessing the first one is actually better even though it has 7.2 Megapixel compared to the 10.1 because of the zoom feature.

HELP????

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm sure the more experienced photographers will chime in but I would go with the higher OPTICAL zoom over the digital.

Flash recovery time is an important factor also.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I'm sure the more experienced photographers will chime in but I would go with the higher OPTICAL zoom over the digital.

Flash recovery time is an important factor also.

So you would go with the 4x Digital zoom SLR ?

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Does anyone know what the SLR is when it talks about zoom, I notice alot of cameras have the 4x digital zoom but not the 4x digital SLR zoom.

T

TwilightImaging

It's a tough call...for this with tax...you might want to look into something that you can interchange lenses with...there are affordable zooms and wide angles you could get in the future...and the cost of digital bodies with these capabilites is right in the ballpark. You eventually will want more lens, trust me:)
Other than that the Pani's shutter lag time looks pretty quick...one of the biggest complaints...Just a thought.

The FZ8 looks has got good write ups:)

Last edited by a moderator:

kom526

Shutter lag!!!:burning: I've missed some great shots due to this and recovery time. I really need to update (my camera is 6+ years old) I'd like to go the SLR route but the wife is a point and shoot type.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack you sanchez.:flowers:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Two quick things...

Neither one of those cameras are SLRs. SLR stands for "single lens reflex" and SLR cameras have interchangeable lenses, no fixed lenses. There is digital zoom in an SLR. Zoom in an SLR is soley dependent on the lens you put on the camera.

Second important thing is to steer clear of Techon Digital...
TheDigitalNerds / techondigital.com / DigitalSuperdeals / Wawa Digital / Stargate Photo / Starlight Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

They are one of many, many bait and switch tech sites.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
It's a tough call...for this with tax...you might want to look into something that you can interchange lenses with...there are affordable zooms and wide angles you could get in the future...and the cost of digital bodies with these capabilites is right in the ballpark. You eventually will want more lens, trust me:)
Other than that the Pani's shutter lag time looks pretty quick...one of the biggest complaints...Just a thought.

The FZ8 looks has got good write ups:)

What camera would you recommend that I can change lenses in this ballpark?

kom526

Two quick things...

Neither one of those cameras are SLRs. SLR stands for "single lens reflex" and SLR cameras have interchangeable lenses, no fixed lenses. There is digital zoom in an SLR. Zoom in an SLR is soley dependent on the lens you put on the camera.

TheDigitalNerds / techondigital.com / DigitalSuperdeals / Wawa Digital / Stargate Photo / Starlight Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

Good Info!! I was really eyeing up their site for a new camera.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Two quick things...

Oh, so what does the SLR in the title ( Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8K, 7.2 Megapixel, 12x Optical/4x Digital Zoom SLR Digital Camera (Black)) mean then?

Thank goodness ya'll are helping me :howdy:

rack'm

Jaded
Does anyone know what the SLR is when it talks about zoom, I notice alot of cameras have the 4x digital zoom but not the 4x digital SLR zoom.

Digital Zoom is the camera cropping the picture, Optical zoom is actual zoom performed by the lens.

T

TwilightImaging

Just trolling through the latest KEH.com catalog...there are a lot of digital cameras in this range...if you go digital SLR (DSLR) consider lens availability for future considerations.
I think they call them entry level or consumer pro cameras. I made tons of sales with the older Rebel...another thing...you can have a great camera body but if you put poor quality glass in front of it...it will degrade the image. The past 3 years companies have gotten a lot better with their "kit" lenses, the lenses they include.
A friend hit e bay and purchased an xti, 18-55 lens, 70-300 lens, bag and some other goodies and ended up saving 45%. I have never purchased from e bay...but he has had good luck. Hope it helps a little?