Cougar help...

T

TwilightImaging

I know this should be in the animal thread...but was thinking there were hunters out here somewhere...nothing in the other forums even came close (sorry)
I have the head/skull of a cougar...and would like to preserve it. I have searched online with too many different views on what to do and not to do.

I have soaked it for awhile and I was thinking boiling it was next...any ideas?

We can delete this thread if it is too far out there:( I did a nutria skull and it came out nice...but this one still has some "yuckies" in it.

My apologies in advance:spank::shrug:

M

Mousebaby

I know this should be in the animal thread...but was thinking there were hunters out here somewhere...nothing in the other forums even came close (sorry)
I have the head/skull of a cougar...and would like to preserve it. I have searched online with too many different views on what to do and not to do.

We can delete this thread if it is too far out there:( I did a nutria skull and it came out nice...but this one still has some "yuckies" in it.

Hubby has done many deer skulls, I will ask him to shoot you some words as soon as I can flag him down! :yay:

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com

Twilight, I found this pdf from a college program. You may have seen it too.

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/natresources/az1144.pdf

The other idea is to call the closest museum and talk to there archaeologist, or someone that does skeletons.

M

Mousebaby

If you have time leave it in a 5 gallon bucket of water outside for at least 2 months in this weather and change the water every week. It's going to stink be prepared! You can use pliers and hemostats to get rid of all the flesh. Once all the flesh is gone, get some borax and pack the whole skull in it (completely buried) and leave it for a couple of days. Then go to Sally's Beauty Supply and ask for 40 volume peroxide paint the whole skull with a generous application and cover it or leave it inside a big plastic trash bag overnight. Rinse it off, then leave it in the sun and it will whiten.

You can also google European skull mounts. They have alternate methods. Boiling will work but you can make the skull too brittle. Good Luck! :howdy:

T

TwilightImaging

Perfect...I owe everyone a sam'ich! Seriously thank you! It has been soaking and I change it regularly with a shot of laundry detergent...and yes my garage smells like a...well not like roses:)
I will look into the link and do as perscribed...TY! You all ROK!

Cougar...it took me awhile...a blonde thing:) too funny...definately wrong forum for that!

they just had this same topic on "dirty jobs", this guy runs a business selling animal skeletons and skulls.. heres his method

1. boil

2. next step is into a container with some type of beetle or maggots who eat all the flesh

3. soak in a hydrogen peroxide and water mixture- made it really white

preserving skulls

T

TwilightImaging

Thank you, the boiling starts tomorrow :)... the neighbors are going to love this, hehe, "hey Mike...watcha' cookin?" hahaha

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Anyone else think that this thread was going to be asking for tips on picking up older chicks?

I thought it was older chicks picking up on younger guys?
1. Cougar
3095 up, 419 down
An older woman who frequents clubs in order to score with a much younger man. The cougar can be anyone from an overly surgically altered wind tunnel victim, to an absolute sad and bloated old horn-meister, to a real hottie or milf. Cougars are gaining in popularity -- particularly the true hotties -- as young men find not only a sexual high, but many times a chick with her #### together.

That cougar I met last night, showed me #### I didn't know existed, I'm goin back for more.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I've boiled skulls before and then remove all meat & fat debris, they come out white and clean. I have skulls in all the cactus plant pots in my farmhouse. Just a little piece of info, if some dead animal looks like it's really fat, don't touch it or move it. I no longer cut tails off of dead racoons that have been hit by cars because of this. I never knew somthing could smell that bad when it pops:)

crf291

It's called a European mount so if you search on that you should find tons of information. Most of which matches what other people have already told you. Cabelas.com sells kits to do it as well. It's the individual stuff you need (that you could buy other places) but packaged in one kit.

Using the beatles is the best way. Contact a taxidermist in your area and he can turn you on to someone with beatles. There are also places advertised on the web that you can mail your scull to. Most are reasonable cost.

Last edited:
E

(((echo)))

Anyone else think that this thread was going to be asking for tips on picking up older chicks?

there's really no trick to pick up older chicks :coffee:
all you need is a bottle of ensure and some geritol and your good to go :yay:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me

TwilightImaging, my SO just did this last week to two deer heads in our garage. If you would like I have him walk you through it.

Just let me know..

T

TwilightImaging

Thanks everyone! I'll give it a try and may be back with more questions...we'll see. I know an entamologist, maybe she has some bugs around? The last skull I did, a coyote, I used a mixture of bleach and water...a few days later the skull was eaten in half by the bleach, lesson learned. I got that info somewhere online. It might have been Billy-Bobs Taxidermy or something:)
It's in the low 40's here brrrrrrrrrrrr...enjoy the day!! hehe

I just noticed this ad at the top of this page...I think I did a bad thing using the word "cougar" I think I tainted the site...ummmm sorry:)

Cougar Personals
100% Free Cougar Personals.
Chat With 1000's of Singles Today!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowgirl

TI, I'd just bury it in the ground. By the end of summer (probably before that), all the soft tissue will be gone. Just dig up the skull and scrub with bleach water, then put it in the sun for a few days.

I've done a few cattle skulls this way. It's quick and easy!

T

TwilightImaging

hmmmmm an idea:) Thanks. Before I leave Tejas I'm gittin' me a Longhorn ifen I have to drag it back behind the V-Cross the whole way. Some of those things get way over seven feet accross.

yankee44

Skin it and remove all soft tissue as best as you can then make a very thick paste of water and Borax soap and cover the entire skull with paste and let sit for a month.

Works great NO SMELL, NO MESS