Police / Fire Scanners For Vehicles...

Dodgem250

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has a newer police/fire scanner for your car or truck and what make model of scanner do you have. I'm interested in putting one in my truck, but, with this new radio system that the fire and police have here in Charles County.... I'm curious to know who has what and what the prices are like now.

Thanks,
Dodgem

OldHillcrestGuy

Ive got the Radio Shack portable scanner the one thats $500 bucks, I don't leave home without.:roflmao:
Have Charles, St Mary's, Calvert and PG on when Im out and about and depends where I am what I can pickup, I dont hook it to a antenna, in Charles I can get them and PG and some times St Mary's, depends where I am in the county, Calvert I need to be pretty close to Calvert. If Im in PG (Marlboro) can get all of PG and the closer down 301 toward Charles the better CC picks up.
If Im in St Marys around California, picking up Charles is hit or miss.

When home listening to it, (Im on the Charles/St Marys line) get Charles great, St Marys not too bad could be better and Pg most of the time with no outside antenna.

Booboo3604

Ive got the Radio Shack portable scanner the one thats $500 bucks, I don't leave home without.:roflmao:
Have Charles, St Mary's, Calvert and PG on when Im out and about and depends where I am what I can pickup, I dont hook it to a antenna, in Charles I can get them and PG and some times St Mary's, depends where I am in the county, Calvert I need to be pretty close to Calvert. If Im in PG (Marlboro) can get all of PG and the closer down 301 toward Charles the better CC picks up.
If Im in St Marys around California, picking up Charles is hit or miss.

When home listening to it, (Im on the Charles/St Marys line) get Charles great, St Marys not too bad could be better and Pg most of the time with no outside antenna.

We have that one too! Only we got it when it was on sale for $350 :yahoo:

OldHillcrestGuy

We have that one too! Only we got it when it was on sale for $350 :yahoo:

Got mine for $450 on sale, keep looking for Radio Shack ads, the year I bought mine 2 years ago I think, they had a Fathers day sale on them the whole month of June for $400, of course by the time I heard they were on sale and got to Radio Shack it was July 4th weekend and they said it was a June sale for Fathers Day @$400, but they did have them on sale for $450 instead of $500 for July.

Desert

Bcd396t

Hello,

maybe someone could help answer a question. I am not sure I understand something. I intend to buy a BCD396T but need some clarification. I understand this scanner is unlike conventional type scanners that have "Banks". I understand this scanner does not. I travel around to different places and withe my old conventional type I would put channels in different banks for different areas. For example; I set one bank aside for say Maryland, and another for say Maine etc and that is how I keep everything seperated.

with this type of scanner how can i seperate different areas and only listen to what ever area i am in without blocking out each individual frequency...or can I?..or better yet do i even need to?

Thank ya

Last edited:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Hello,

maybe someone could help answer a question. I am not sure I understand something. I intend to buy a BCD396T but need some clarification. I understand this scanner is unlike conventional type scanners that have "Banks". I understand this scanner does not. I travel around to different places and withe my old conventional type I would put channels in different banks for different areas. For example; I set one bank aside for say Maryland, and another for say Maine etc and that is how I keep everything seperated.

with this type of scanner how can i seperate different areas and only listen to what ever area i am in without blocking out each individual frequency...or can I?..or better yet do i even need to?

Thank ya

I am not very familiar with the BCD396T. But I just bought the BCD996T which is basically the desktop varient. Still in the box and I haven't even started messing with it yet.

But I just read over the instruction manual and it appears to me that opposed to storing your frequency groups directly into banks you simply program them into what appears to be, for all intents and purposes, a separate memory. As opposed to assigning aparticular Trunked system to a dedicated bank you can now access that system simply by pressing the corresponding quick keys.

I am not going to sit hear and say I understand it entirely yet as I have just bought mine. But it does appear to be a much more efficient method from what I can tell just from looking through the manual.

I amlooking forward to playing with the GPS deal on mine. The way I understand that is when I move from one area to the next the Scaner automatically switches to whatever systems cover the area I am in. Now this is slick. :yay:

But as for your original question, maybea quick glance through the online manual might help.
http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BCD396Tom.pdf