when/how to shift efficiently

joeykcp

lI've been driving manual for 10 years now, never own an automatic before. However, I'm still not sure if my habit of shifting gear is most efficient on the transmission/clutch. I want to know if it causes premature wear or tear, and how do people in here usually drive.

1/ Say when I shift to a higher gear, I let go of the gas pedal, disengage the clutch, push in the gas pedal to match the engine speed then engage the clutch slowly to avoid sudden lurch I believe this is called "riding the clutch", I thought what I did was pretty good, maintaining minimal wear and tear to the part, but I read somewhere that riding the clutch is bad
If the car is already moving and I shift up to higher gear, I don't know if I should let the clutch out completely before push in the gas pedal, but this would cause a lurch and I thought that would be bad for the transmission

2/ Say when I see a red light and want to slow down from 5th gear, first I put the gear in neutral, using the brake only, but tap it slowly for the car to slow down, then if the light turn green and I'm not at the complete stop yet, I would shift to the appropriate gear (say 2nd gear, I believe this is called "blip the thottle", and I wasn't sure if this is good for your car or not

3/ I do #2 to go around the corner, I would put the gear in neutral, use the brake to slow down then enter the corner, while in the corner, I would shift to 2nd gear. If #2 is bad, this would also be bad

4/ how about slipping the clutch? Isn't it mean disengage the clutch half way? say you stop the car at an incline and use gas/clutch to keep it stationary as oppose to brake? I heard it's bad for your car too right?
I don't do this though, just wanted to know

DEEKAYPEE8569

lI've been driving manual for 10 years now, never own an automatic before. However, I'm still not sure if my habit of shifting gear is most efficient on the transmission/clutch. I want to know if it causes premature wear or tear, and how do people in here usually drive.

4/ how about slipping the clutch? Isn't it mean disengage the clutch half way? say you stop the car at an incline and use gas/clutch to keep it stationary as oppose to brake? I heard it's bad for your car too right?
I don't do this though, just wanted to know
----------------------------------------------

Joey, this is how I was taught.

When on level ground, at a complete stop, with the engine warmed up and idling smoothly, fully engage the clutch, and shift into first gear. Then slowly release the clutch until the motor begins to bog down a bit; then gently compensate by slowly stepping on the gas. In most, if not all; of the new manual transmission equipped cars, all you have to do is slowly let the clutch out; without stepping on the gas; and the car will begin moving.

When shifting after you are already in motion, when the gear you're in stops pulling you forward, take your foot off the gas, depress the clutch pedal, shift into the next higher gear then release the clutch pedal and re-engage your gas pedal.

If you want to "bang gears," then just mat the gas pedal, "give'er 5 and dump the clutch", as my Dad says; while in first gear and engage the clutch while shifting to the next higher gear, but keep the gas pedal to the floor.
{{Only advisable on the drag strip}}

E

(((echo)))

I only use the clutch for 1st and 2nd gear, every other gear i just let off the gas and slide it into the next gear :shrug:
and i've never had to replace a clutch

joeykcp

----------------------------------------------

Joey, this is how I was taught.

When on level ground, at a complete stop, with the engine warmed up and idling smoothly, fully engage the clutch, and shift into first gear. Then slowly release the clutch until the motor begins to bog down a bit; then gently compensate by slowly stepping on the gas. In most, if not all; of the new manual transmission equipped cars, all you have to do is slowly let the clutch out; without stepping on the gas; and the car will begin moving.

When shifting after you are already in motion, when the gear you're in stops pulling you forward, take your foot off the gas, depress the clutch pedal, shift into the next higher gear then release the clutch pedal and re-engage your gas pedal.

If you want to "bang gears," then just mat the gas pedal, "give'er 5 and dump the clutch", as my Dad says; while in first gear and engage the clutch while shifting to the next higher gear, but keep the gas pedal to the floor.
{{Only advisable on the drag strip}}

thanks
the thing was I wasn't sure was if the car already in motion and I shift gear, should I let go the clutch complete off before engaging the gas pedal, or do both simultaneously

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
thanks
the thing was I wasn't sure was if the car already in motion and I shift gear, should I let go the clutch complete off before engaging the gas pedal, or do both simultaneously

10 years of manual driving and you are asking these questions? Doesn't it just come naturally? :confused: I have never thought of any of those questions with a lot of years of stick driving.

no wisecracks about dinosaurs or sticks please :lol:

Cowgirl

I always downshift when I stop now. I didn't used to until I started pulling loaded trailers. It really helps to have the engine take some of the workload off the brakes, even with trailer brakes. In a regular vehicle, I can get away with not having to break at all during turns.

joeykcp

10 years of manual driving and you are asking these questions? Doesn't it just come naturally? :confused: I have never thought of any of those questions with a lot of years of stick driving.

no wisecracks about dinosaurs or sticks please :lol:

I can drive fine, but I don't know how the internal parts work mechanically, so I don't know what would be the most efficient way to drive to minimize the wear and tear of the parts, mainly clutch and transmission.

I have a friend whose driving habit is to disengage the clutch and holds it there instead of putting the gear in neutral or put in lower gear, and it's certainly not good for the clutch

Cowgirl

I can drive fine, but I don't know how the internal parts work mechanically, so I don't know what would be the most efficient way to drive to minimize the wear and tear of the parts, mainly clutch and transmission.

I have a friend whose driving habit is to disengage the clutch and holds it there instead of putting the gear in neutral or put in lower gear, and it's certainly not good for the clutch

As long as the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor, it does not hurt the clutch. At least that's my understanding.

joeykcp

As long as the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor, it does not hurt the clutch. At least that's my understanding.

yeah I think you're right
I had a huge transmission/clutch problem with my previous vehicle, I just want to make sure my driving habit won't be a contributing factor to the ones I currently own

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
My clutch just went out at 141K miles. The one owner before me ran it 40K miles around the Beltway commuting and I got another 100K miles out of it. I don't know if that's good or bad for a clutch.

E

(((echo)))

every vehicle has a different "throw" when it comes to clutches.
usually the only time the clutch has to be floored is during startup, other than that you can get away with "trowing" the clutch about halfway to slip it into the next gear

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My clutch just went out at 141K miles. The one owner before me ran it 40K miles around the Beltway commuting and I got another 100K miles out of it. I don't know if that's good or bad for a clutch.

I see the little lamb has found her way. :roflmao: