Rabies!!

Racingwolf

I just wanted to remind everyone to get their animals up to date on their rabies shots!! My Uncle just killed a rabid coon in his back yard in Valley Lee. Three dogs have had to be put down because of rabies in that area!!:frown:

Racingwolf

The racoons were tested? Why were the dogs put down?

Yes the racoons were tested, and the dogs were put down because they did not have up to date rabies shots. If a dog has been bitten by a rabid animal that isnt up to date on its shots, then the only thing that can be done is to put it to sleep. I myself need to get my dogs updated on thier shots. I thought that since they were in a fenced in yard nothing could happen, but my uncle's dog was on a running line and the coon came after it!!:frown:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
An animal doesn't even have to be bitten to be infected. Rabies can be transmitted through saliva or an open wound.

Racingwolf

An animal doesn't even have to be bitten to be infected. Rabies can be transmitted through saliva or an open wound.

So true!!!

I need to find a vet that will come to my house, I have a 120 lb German Shepherd that doesnt get along with other female dogs, so she is hard to take to the vets office!!!

Jameo

What?!
Originally posted by cattitude

:yeahthat:

I just made an appointment to get my dog up to date on everything this morning.

BTW, that new Advantix stuff is awesome!! Works great and really does repel mosquitos.

Racingwolf

BTW, that new Advantix stuff is awesome!! Works great and really does repel mosquitos.

Have you heard anything about not letting dogs that have advantix on them near cats? something about causing seisures(sp)? I can't remember where I heard that and I wanted to make sure I checked it out before I put some on my dogs(I have cats too).

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Racingwolf
So true!!!

I need to find a vet that will come to my house, I have a 120 lb German Shepherd that doesnt get along with other female dogs, so she is hard to take to the vets office!!!
Vet-A-Pet, 301-475-5777. They came by and put my 15 year old Huskey down a couple a years ago.

Jameo

What?!
Originally posted by Racingwolf
Have you heard anything about not letting dogs that have advantix on them near cats? something about causing seisures(sp)? I can't remember where I heard that and I wanted to make sure I checked it out before I put some on my dogs(I have cats too).

I don't see how that could happen:confused: My dog as well as other dogs she used to be around where around cats all the time and never had any problems. If you applied K-9 advantix on a cat then might cause problems.