Gas Mileage for moving van?

shmltn

Gas Mileage for moving trucks?

Does anyone have any idea what kind of gas mileage one can expect for different sized moving vans? We need to move our crap [and yes, at this point I'm calling it crap :crazy:] from San Diego out to Pax River area. Budget truck rental has 1o', 16' and 24' moving trucks all for the same price. They're automatic transmissions and I am presuming they run on regular instead of diesel. They also have a 10' cargo van available. Does anyone know what kind of gas mileage they should get? TIA -Sherry

Last edited:
R

RadioPatrol

Does anyone have any idea what kind of gas mileage one can expect for different sized moving vans? We need to move our crap [an yes, at this point I'm calling it crap :crazy:] from San Diego out to Pax River area. Budget truck rental has 1o', 16' and 24' moving vans all for the same price. They're automatic transmissions and I am presuming they run on regular instead of diesel. They also have a 10' cargo van available. Does anyone know what kind of gas mileage they should get? TIA -Sherry

You'll be lucky to get 10 MPG, maybe the newer diesels get better - but moving vans / trucks are geared to haul loads not go zipping down the highway .... also keep it under 65

good luck your looking at about 2700 miles:

san diego to pax river, MD - Google Maps

hmm 2700 miles / 10 mpg = 270 Gal x $ 3.25 = $ 877 :faint:

bcp

In My Opinion
I went from here to Florida with a 24 ft moving van and I think the mileage was around 13 highway.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Does anyone have any idea what kind of gas mileage one can expect for different sized moving vans? We need to move our crap [and yes, at this point I'm calling it crap :crazy:] from San Diego out to Pax River area. Budget truck rental has 1o', 16' and 24' moving trucks all for the same price. They're automatic transmissions and I am presuming they run on regular instead of diesel. They also have a 10' cargo van available. Does anyone know what kind of gas mileage they should get? TIA -Sherry

When we did that big move, we used Penske (got a better deal). The gas fillup wasn't that bad then b/c gas was about a buck sixty nine a gallon.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The larger...

...diesel trucks, the 24 and 26 footers will get about 8.

The 16' box vans, the tilting cab, snub nosed ones, will get about 12-14