kids raising chicks for 4-H

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Does anyone have a small to medium size cage that we can buy or use for 25 chicks until they can go out side ?? thanks TC

I

Inkpen

I have a bunch of cages..can you give me an idea of size?
LxWxH???

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
I have a couple you can borrow..I think they are 2 X 2 or 3 X 3 I have 2 or 3 of them..

Thanks These are broliers and I will find out from their 4-h leader how big the cages need to be ..I think the 3x3 maybe a good size I have to have them for April 16th or 17th.. do you know how big the opening are Don't want them going through ..:jameo:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
If you have the time and a few hand tools you can make a couple cages yourself from 1" pine stock and hardware mesh.

Definitely be easier to buy a cage but I think the kids would enjoy this as well.

Cowgirl

Oh, the memories. I raised broilers for 4-H for a few years. Man, were those some tasty birds. :yum:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
If you have the time and a few hand tools you can make a couple cages yourself from 1" pine stock and hardware mesh.

Definitely be easier to buy a cage but I think the kids would enjoy this as well.

Have the tools and the knowledge but not the time ...Trying to get house ready to sell, 4-h, SMTR, trail riding (can't not ride) and driving miss Daisy to the doctors oh yeah and helping with a sick horse.....:jameo:

Elle

Happy Camper!
how are they doing with all this rain - we did this project last year but b/c of vacations had to pass this year.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
how are they doing with all this rain - we did this project last year but b/c of vacations had to pass this year.

I saw TC and kiddo the other day...they came and got another cage they had outgrown the one..I am assuming they are doing great...

Elle

Happy Camper!
I saw TC and kiddo the other day...they came and got another cage they had outgrown the one..I am assuming they are doing great...

Ours started off in a dog cage about 3x5 and then quickly moved to the outside kennel 2 weeks later.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm

out grown is not the word for it they are huge ...Does anyone know where I can get them processed I went all around yesturday and found two people that will do it for $2.00 a bird I am told that is way to exspensive , that they got them done for $.75 a piece but can not remember where .. HELP 4 of them go to the fair Saturday..

Cowgirl

out grown is not the word for it they are huge ...Does anyone know where I can get them processed I went all around yesturday and found two people that will do it for $2.00 a bird I am told that is way to exspensive , that they got them done for $.75 a piece but can not remember where .. HELP 4 of them go to the fair Saturday..

You might want to ask around in the Amish and Mennonite communities. We got ours done somewhere in the Charlotte Hall area, but I cannot remember who did it. I remember it was pretty darn cheap though. $.75 sounds too cheap. I don't know why someone would do it for that price.

Cowgirl

that's what I did yesturday asked around in the Amish and Mennonite communities, IDK maybe a 4H discount ??

I emailed my mom to ask her where we got ours done. She emailed this: we went to Rt. 6 not far off of rt. 235 to an Amish farm on the right back into the woods right after the Charles County Line sign. Down on the end was the family who did them for us.

:shrug: Hope that helps! :lol:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

:frown: Can I get mine alive not :dead: