A few Rook' images...

T

TwilightImaging

Okay here are a few of too many...I wanted to change lenses and shoot the height I was at...but used the phone camera instead. It's amazing how NOT having a leaning harness or a padded belt while using spikes can shorten the time in trees to about 1.5 hours, then your legs go numb and your back locks up:(
Today was about 80 feet then the rains came in fast and hard. I think the light changed every second.
Just random images...the strange thing is...an Egret and Heron are sharing a nest...has anyone ever heard of this, they were passing sticks to each other as the other pairs were...never saw them doing the naughty, just think it's strange.

IMG_3080c.JPG

IMG_2997c.JPG

IMG_3131c.JPG
[/IMG]
IMG_3097c.JPG

Thanks for looking:howdy:

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
Okay here are a few of too many...I wanted to change lenses and shoot the height I was at...but used the phone camera instead. It's amazing how NOT having a leaning harness or a padded belt while using spikes can shorten the time in trees to about 1.5 hours, then your legs go numb and your back locks up:(
Today was about 80 feet then the rains came in fast and hard. I think the light changed every second.
Just random images...the strange thing is...an Egret and Heron are sharing a nest...has anyone ever heard of this, they were passing sticks to each other as the other pairs were...never saw them doing the naughty, just think it's strange.

IMG_3080c.JPG

IMG_2997c.JPG

IMG_3131c.JPG
[/IMG]
IMG_3097c.JPG

Thanks for looking:howdy:

Not sure if this would change the mating habits, but I think thats a Great White Heron. Had to check my Audubon book, but that's what it looks like.

It also has them as the same species, might explain it.

J

T

TwilightImaging

I thought that as well at first but the books i have, have the GW Herons with yellow legs minus the green by the bill...hmmmm strange.
Edit...I stand corrected on the green...dang it's odd. I should have been an Ornithologist huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Inkpen

Where ARE you shooting?
You a climber? You local?
Would love to have you on call to help renest hawks when needed...
LOVE the photos...as always!!!!
Thanks for sharing them!!!

IF I could give you Karma: AWESOME PHOTOGRAPHS :flowers:

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
The hard work of climbing that tree with gear sure payed off in some AWESOME images. :yahoo: If you try again borrow a hunters tree stand so you can sitt all day and if you have an assistant they can send your gear up the tree , just carry a 100' rope with a lead sinker to drop down. and pull it up.

T

TwilightImaging

Where ARE you shooting?
You a climber? You local?
Would love to have you on call to help renest hawks when needed...
LOVE the photos...as always!!!!
Thanks for sharing them!!!
IF I could give you Karma: AWESOME PHOTOGRAPHS :flowers:

Thank you Inkpen...I am in Kingwood Texas, NE of Houston. I'm moving to Md in late July, give or take. I have never climbed with spikes before yesterday, the first 30 feet were a bit nervy...but have climbed and jumped quite a bit. Spikes really beat on the pines, and you get the weirdest feeling using them, but enables you to scramble fairly quickly. The only way to get these guys was to get to the canopy. The pines they are nesting in are WAY up there, not a branch for the first 60 or so feet. I have done some work with local biologists, and Cornell on Osprey studies...

I tell you what, when I get out there I will get with you and do whatever is needed...I'm busted up pretty good from the years but can still get around in the trees pretty good:):crazy: I'd love to be involved...Thanks!!!

T

TwilightImaging

Thanks Sarah and Deadeye, it is a bit odd...I'll send a few to someone and we'll see...

I would work around the tree 360 degrees to keep the legs fresh, but man o man. My harness is a Black Diamond Alpine, light and more of a free style harness. I don't have that huge padded belt that the tree pruners use. Tonight I cut up one of my huge waist packs and added it to the back strap, it has two metal vertical bars and is padded so the next trip should be better.
I will try the chair idea, that would keep me up there all day with out wondering if I'll reach muscle failure on the way down... I might also try the crossbow idea shooting a line 150 feet up and running a line, using ascenders or prusiks and descenders minus the spikes would be wonderful:)
WooHoo!

I

Inkpen

Thank you Inkpen...I am in Kingwood Texas, NE of Houston. I'm moving to Md in late July, give or take. I have never climbed with spikes before yesterday, the first 30 feet were a bit nervy...but have climbed and jumped quite a bit. Spikes really beat on the pines, and you get the weirdest feeling using them, but enables you to scramble fairly quickly. The only way to get these guys was to get to the canopy. The pines they are nesting in are WAY up there, not a branch for the first 60 or so feet. I have done some work with local biologists, and Cornell on Osprey studies...

I tell you what, when I get out there I will get with you and do whatever is needed...I'm busted up pretty good from the years but can still get around in the trees pretty good:):crazy: I'd love to be involved...Thanks!!!

Ahhh...Texas..have some dear friends in the Corpus area..been out to the Gulf....magical place Texas!!

Thanks again so much for yur photos...
Maybe Ill look at getting some climbing gear...love trees..love heights!!!

Be safe up there TI!!!!

T

TwilightImaging

Yeah, Corpus and the Gulf region is nice...they have different "kits" you could get.
such as...Tree Climbing Kits for Arborists, Rescue, Recreation at WesSpur Tree Climbing Equipment
But as I found out yesterday...almost too late...know your knots, when to use them and where and know them well enough to do in the dark:)
Tree climbing this way, at least standing with spikes for hours can wear ya down pretty well. If you pivot your foot a bit much and the spike isn't set perfect...in 20 minutes you notice your feet sliding. So now I reset the spikes every 5 to 10 minutes.

I'd rather climb the conventional way...either way...it's a blast being way up there...leaning way back away from the tree trying for a good angle:yahoo:

T

TwilightImaging

Thanks Jazz (_)!:gossip:

Yes, the pillows were stacked 2 deep all around the tree:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

I have to process more from the other tree...they are really a treat to watch. Amazingly, they even fell asleep while I was up there with them.

T

TwilightImaging

Actually I think they were all talking to eachother saying, who the beep is this guy, no way is he making it up here, poor dumb human! Just look at 'em! Hahaha!
And yesterday when I ended up upside down a few stories up I swear I heard a laugh up there...
Edit: that last sentence, please disregard, I was only kidding:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TwilightImaging

Holy...did you see that guy descend? What the...ummm like...I was like...errr almost that fast...NOT! Amazing, dang!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Actually I think they were all talking to each other saying, who the beep is this guy, no way is he making it up here, poor dumb human! Just look at 'em! Hahaha!
And yesterday when I ended up upside down a few stories up I swear I heard a laugh up there...
Edit: that last sentence, please disregard, I was only kidding:whistle:
:buttkick: Thank goodness you had GOOD knots tied, huh? :rolleyes:

Here ya go....the way to speed climb....

And a few on You Tube...

Love to watch this on tv...honest!!!

The descent wasn't so bad but the almost free-falling down.... :faint:

I

Inkpen

Holy...did you see that guy descend? What the...ummm like...I was like...errr almost that fast...NOT! Amazing, dang!

I sit here with one artificial knee joint and one really shot up knee...
Just watching those guys decend causes me pain!!!
Imagine...just catching one spike and tearing out a knee...OUCH!!!!!
But other than that..they are awesome !!!!

T

TwilightImaging

Ink' you hit it 'zactly...I got about 40 or so feet up and stopped...just thinking...alright if I start to go I'll have to try and dig a foot into the tree...SNAP, there is no way the knee would hold, no way! I tied off as many times as I could to avoid that. these spikes are not that long! Sheesh, thats crazy!

T

TwilightImaging

Thank goodness you had GOOD knots tied, huh?

Ohhhh yeah...the knots were solid, solid completely!