EZ-Pass for toll bridges

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Anyone have one....I just enrolled and got my transponders...I am all set except I tow a trailer and when I go through the EZ-Pass, how will it charge me for my trailer? I e-mailed them and the response was to log in and add vehicle....I added my trailer tag number...Did I do right?

K

Kain99

I use EZ Pass everyday! Pretty sure you did it exctly right.

Anyone have one....I just enrolled and got my transponders...I am all set except I tow a trailer and when I go through the EZ-Pass, how will it charge me for my trailer? I e-mailed them and the response was to log in and add vehicle....I added my trailer tag number...Did I do right?

I've been wondering that myself. I want an EZ for my travels up to NY, but sometimes I have the trailer, sometimes not. If you add the trailer tag, does it just add the extra axle EVERY time you go thru, whether or not you actually have the trailer? The only way I can see it working is to have a separate transponder for the trailer. When you have it, it registers thru the gate.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
They didn't ask if my trailer is single wheel or dual wheel...I don't know how they tell...I go across the Bay Bridge and it costs me $7.50 and it is $9.00 to go across the Nice Bridge...Their EZ-Pass web site doesn't tell you much either....You can't call because all you get is an automated message...

Is there an automatic axle counter in the EZ-Pass only lanes?

Not sure.... I thought of that too, but I have never noticed any difference in those lanes, no low level cameras, no apparent changes to the surface for sensors.... It's possible that's how it works, just dunno.... :shrug:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
found this on Wiki

Each E-ZPass tag is specifically programmed for a particular class of vehicle, and while any valid, working tag will be read and accepted in any E-ZPass toll lane, the wrong toll amount will be charged if the tag's programmed vehicle class does not match the vehicle. This will result in a violation and possible large fine assessed to the tag holder, especially if a lower-class (e.g., passenger car) tag is being used in a higher-class vehicle such as a bus or truck. In an attempt to avoid this, E-ZPass tags for commercial vehicles are blue in color, contrasting with the white tags assigned to standard passenger vehicles. The blue E-ZPass is also used in government employee vehicles. In the New York metro area, an orange E-ZPass is issued to emergency vehicles and to MTA and PANYNJ employees.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
All I want to do is tow my trailer over the Bay and Nice Bridges about 12 - 15 times this year with no hassles...They are like DVM....They make it as hard to figure out as they can...And...There is no one to ask...I want to do right and I don't want a hefty fine slapped on me because of my ignorance of the law...

Elle

Happy Camper!

I don't know if this is right but it's worked for us - I did just that - registered our trailer as another car on our account so that the tag number would be on file. They have people that actually view the video footage and we've always been charged accordingly.

Each E-ZPass tag is specifically programmed for a particular class of vehicle, and while any valid, working tag will be read and accepted in any E-ZPass toll lane, the wrong toll amount will be charged if the tag's programmed vehicle class does not match the vehicle. This will result in a violation and possible large fine assessed to the tag holder, especially if a lower-class (e.g., passenger car) tag is being used in a higher-class vehicle such as a bus or truck. In an attempt to avoid this, E-ZPass tags for commercial vehicles are blue in color, contrasting with the white tags assigned to standard passenger vehicles. The blue E-ZPass is also used in government employee vehicles. In the New York metro area, an orange E-ZPass is issued to emergency vehicles and to MTA and PANYNJ employees.

Well, that makes it sound like they have no idea there is a trailer in tow.... You get charged "correctly" for having the right pass in the right vehicle.

Elle

Happy Camper!

Certain trailers (like most campers) are not considered commercial vehicles though - no special licenses needed to operate and don't have to stop at most weight/inspection stations. I think the ez pass people need to create a new/clearer policy just for trailer/campers

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
Certain trailers (like most campers) are not considered commercial vehicles though - no special licenses needed to operate and don't have to stop at most weight/inspection stations. I think the ez pass people need to create a new/clearer policy just for trailer/campers

After trying to look up policies and rules, I think what you said would be a good idea for them to implement.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I don't know if this is right but it's worked for us - I did just that - registered our trailer as another car on our account so that the tag number would be on file. They have people that actually view the video footage and we've always been charged accordingly.

Thanks, I just hope it works for me...I'll soon see..:whistle:

Mine is not a commercial vehicle but they charge for each axle....

Elle

Happy Camper!
Just as a side note, you keep saying trailer, do you mean like storage trailer or camper trailer and also not sure where you plan to go but in the state of Maryland you can't go through tunnels with propane bottles over 10 lbs. and a max of 4 of them. Virginia will allow propane bottles but you must stop at inspection stations first and turn them off.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
This is a Cargo trailer....No Propane...They charge per axle....Do they do that for camping trailers?

dave1959

Been using EZ-Pass for a couple of years...Its great...Never registered my camper. Have used the Pass with and without the trailer. When we do tow it charges the correct amount, Never had any hassle from anyone.

Been using EZ-Pass for a couple of years...Its great...Never registered my camper. Have used the Pass with and without the trailer. When we do tow it charges the correct amount, Never had any hassle from anyone.

...meaning, it added a charge when you have the trailer, and did not when you are not pulling?