Help with "deaf" dog

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have a real problem with my one dog. He won't come when called. Once he's off the leash, he becomes completely deaf to any commands.

He broke his leash yesterday and ran off. After chasing him for an hour across the busy 45 MPH road we live on now and through several neighboring homes and into the woods, I went home and got our van. I spotted him on the side of road. As he loves to go for rides, he came when I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride, hopped in the van, and I took him home.

We adopted the dog when he was about a year old from a friend who could no longer keep him. He got away with this behavior with her and we have been unable to "unteach" it. He does beautifully on a lead or in the house or other confined area, but once free, he runs and doesn't come back until he's good and ready. This is the first time he's gotten loose at our new house and immediately headed up the driveway and into the thankfully non-busy 45 MPH road.

He's about 6 years old and is an unneutered (not MY idea) male. Do you think it would help to have him neutered? I am probably going to do it as the vet recommended we should think about it to cut down on problems as he gets older.

How can we teach him to listen? I've tried the long lead line and getting him to sit, stay, and then come when called, which he will do - on the lead. But once off the line, he's "deaf." I've never had this problem with any other dog I've ever had. :frown:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jazz lady
He won't come when called. Once he's off the leash, he becomes completely deaf to any commands.

I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride, hopped in the van, and I took him home.
No surprise there. :lol: If you want to get a dog's attention the magic word is COOKIES!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
First off, neuter him. It will help with wandering and is a generally good idea healthwise and helps to prevent prostate cancer...yep, dogs get it too.

You have to keep him on a lead and he can't get the "reward" of running off. It will take time to train him. Use a long rope or some such thing. Practice with him, letting him go and calling him while on the rope. When you call him, pull him in and praise him and give him a treat. No guarantees though. I have dog that bolts almost every time I take him out without a leash. Yet my son can take him out without any problem.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
I have dog that bolts almost every time I take him out without a leash. Yet my son can take him out without any problem.
It's the opposite here. My dog listens to me but he ignores the kids.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Frostillicus
Sounds to me like he's on a trim hunt.

Probably. He basically goes around peeing on everything. When he can't pee any more, he comes home. It must be his way of saying "come and get me, beyotches." :lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
First off, neuter him. It will help with wandering and is a generally good idea healthwise and helps to prevent prostate cancer...yep, dogs get it too.
I just took him to the vet last month. The vet said the same thing. When I first got him, I was going to get him neutered but someone was against it. I don't like having any unfixed pets anymore, so I'm going to make an appointment and have it done.
You have to keep him on a lead and he can't get the "reward" of running off. It will take time to train him. Use a long rope or some such thing. Practice with him, letting him go and calling him while on the rope. When you call him, pull him in and praise him and give him a treat. No guarantees though. I have dog that bolts almost every time I take him out without a leash. Yet my son can take him out without any problem.
I've tried and tried. He "gets" it when he's on the lead. He'll sit, stay, and come when called. He gets rewarded with praise, petting, and cookies. But as soon as he KNOWS he's off lead, he bolts and does HIS thing.

Last edited:
F

Frostillicus

Originally posted by otter
Speaking of that, did the Monistat-1 clear up your dogs problem??
I use Huggies Baby Wipes. Every day. She really seems to like it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You know, Jazz, he might just be set in his ways. As he gets older, he may settle down a bit. I'm finding this happens with most older animals. Take my Otter, for example. When he used to get out by himself, without supervision, he would take off for hours. Now he rarely goes out alone and if he does, he doesn't wander far at all. And the odd part is that I didn't even have to have this one neutered.:biggrin:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
You know, Jazz, he might just be set in his ways. As he gets older, he may settle down a bit. I'm finding this happens with most older animals.
I've tried from day one to break the dog of the habit. Other than this, he's a very good dog. It just scares the schnit out of me when he gets in the road, especially since the road we're off of has a speed limit of 45 mph.

Take my Otter, for example. When he used to get out by himself, without supervision, he would take off for hours. Now he rarely goes out alone and if he does, he doesn't wander far at all. And the odd part is that I didn't even have to have this one neutered.:biggrin:

:killingme

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My dawg has been neutered and he scared to go too far from home. Even the one time he "ran away" he just went to the end of the street and came back. He is a wussy. Even when I take him off his leash and let him run, if he turns and sees me and thinks I am too far away he comes running back.
I say neuter him.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
We have had a similar problem with our dog. We got a shock collar for him. It gets his attention. He still tries to run if he thinks we're not paying attention or if he thinks he's out of range of the remote. But he comes when he's called now, as long as we're in sight, even if he doesn't have the shock collar on.