Glenspending's Extorting this county!

they were warned, but they listenonly to the money people here in the county, thoe local developers who pay the big bucks to cities for the permits, aand now they will pay the price, but they got there money and will just put on a front to push blame away, and this from a guy who has only been here 3 wks, but I see alot that is wrong, but what the hell, I will make my way thru the quagmire and survive, but will watch who gets my vote

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I agree that Glendening is being WAY too heavy-handed about this. But I also have to agree that Mr. Lame Duck Governor has a point about sprawl. One-in-5 zoning is not rural zoning. One-in-20 zoning is probably too restrictive. I was hoping our local commissioners would go for a compromise of one-in-10.

T

Tom Roche

Im not a real estate tycoon guru, but it seems to me a 1-in-5 decision just gives all the big luxury home deveolopers a green light. At that point, even with a 1-in-5 can't the local government set strict standards to how many or what type of development can take place? Any development, if controlled over time, can be positive if it is properly regulated in the local offices and maintained as such.

Looking at this in retrospect, it would be nice to be able to afford a spot on one of the waters for a retirement home or such. The 1-in-5 decision might just enable someone like myself to have that opportunity where otherwise we wouldnt.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The way I understand it, one home per 5 acres doesn't mean 5-acre home lots. It means you can subdivide a 5-acre lot into a regular-sized home lot (like 1/4 acre or 1/2 acre or whatever) and leave the rest untouched. So if you own 50 acres, you can get 10 home lots out of it. If the lots are 1/2 acre each, that means 5 acres for home lots and 45 acres left as farmland or forest.

So the density of the zoning really doesn't have a lot to do with the size of the lots. Now, decreasing the number of home lots available in the rural parts of St. Mary's may drive up home prices, if the county has lots of demand for all types of housing.

About buying retirement property on the water--I think the local zoning density doesn't have that much to do with the pricing. What does drive up the cost of waterfront homes? There are plenty of state and federal restrictions on waterfront development here, to protect the Chesapeake Bay. Some of it is well thought out and some of it isn't.

About 40 years ago, many people from the D.C. area began buying retirement properties along the St. Mary's shoreline. These lots didn't cost a lot back then. When the waterfront restrictions were put into place in the late 1980s, many of these retirees found that their tiny homes were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, with the accompanying property taxes. Part of this was the overall trend toward gentrification of the shoreline areas, like on St. George's Island.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So now your current crop of Commissioners have screwed the community out of State funding. What do you all plan on doing about it?

And how does it feel, Marylanders, to be ruled by a King and held hostage to the inner city voters? This isn't over - you watch.

Originally posted by vraiblonde
So now your current crop of Commissioners have screwed the community out of State funding. What do you all plan on doing about it?

As I recall, a recent SOMD poll showed that most folks were going to vote out the incumbents, something like 5 to 1. Lame duck governor and potentially lame duck commisoners. That's a bad combination anywhere.

I think I'll build a wall around my place and declare my own country. (how cliche) Then I won't need a permit to cut down a tree.

Oh yeah, I quess I'll vote this year too.