Raw vs. jpg

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
What would you place more emphasis on, RAW image capabilty and integrated flash (Panasonic FZ8) or integrated flash and a hot shoe (Canon S5)?

I've been told I should just forgo the point and shoot route and go straight to DSLR. I would do this BUT the camera has to be simple enough for the wife to use.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What would you place more emphasis on, RAW image capabilty and integrated flash (Panasonic FZ8) or integrated flash and a hot shoe (Canon S5)?

I've been told I should just forgo the point and shoot route and go straight to DSLR. I would do this BUT the camera has to be simple enough for the wife to use.

Don't most (if not all) of the DSLR cameras have an auto setting?

I borrowed my sons camera on vacation and it had a multitude of settings.. Point and Shoot (full Auto).. Aperature priority shooting (you set the f-stop, camera sets shutter speed and ISO).. Shutter speed priority (same same with shutter).. Full user input, ISO, f-stop, and shutter speed... plus Macro settings, portrait, landscape.. etc.. etc.. Even had a flash priority setting, where I could set the flash to "rear facing" even though the flash didn't move, and still shot straight forward.

Wife wants to use it, set it to full auto, and let her point and shoot all her heart desires.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Those are drastically different capabilities to be answered by different questions.

For the RAW, how deep do you usually go (or want to go) into editing? If you want the most power and versatility, you should shoot RAW. Especially if you typically shoot in Auto, you probably need to correct a fair percentage of your photos for color temperature and/or exposure.

But if you prefer to stay within the bounds of simple editing, JPG could do well enough.

As for the flash option, what type of lighting do you most use - natural or artificial? Outdoors or in? If you spend most of your time shooting landscapes you don't have a great need for a flash. But if most of your shots are of family functions then you should have a good flash.

I, personally, would go with the RAW capability because I like being detailed and I mostly use natural light. But your needs may be different. :shrug:

And I don't think most cameras are difficult these days - fairly straightforward, actually. I gather your wife is not camera savvy, so if all she ever does is shoot in Auto and review/delete her shots, that would be pretty easy to learn, whatever she may have.

kom526

I gather your wife is not camera savvy, so if all she ever does is shoot in Auto and review/delete her shots, that would be pretty easy to learn, whatever she may have.

This would be an understatement:lmao:

(no, she does not read the forums.:killingme)

kom526

I'm ordering my new camera today and I'm thinking about expedited shipping.:whistle: The cupola for the Blackistone Island Light is supposed to be delivered either Monday or Tuesday via barge or helicopter. I've spent a lot of time on the island helping with the reconstruction and this would be a fantastic (once in a lifetime) opportunity to break in my new toy.:yay:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I'm ordering my new camera today and I'm thinking about expedited shipping.
And... ? Which option (and camera) did you pick? :tap:

... this would be a fantastic (once in a lifetime) opportunity to break in my new toy.
One bit of advice: make sure you know how it works before you get out there. You don't want that to be the very first time you use the camera before you realize something doesn't work or you don't know how to use it.

Otherwise you could return home from your big event doing a lot of :banghead:.

M

Mousebaby

I have the FZ8 and it is a fantabulous camera!

kom526

And... ? Which option (and camera) did you pick? :tap:

One bit of advice: make sure you know how it works before you get out there. You don't want that to be the very first time you use the camera before you realize something doesn't work or you don't know how to use it.

Otherwise you could return home from your big event doing a lot of :banghead:.

Canon S5 IS. I figure it gives me the flexibility I want and the simplicity my wife needs. Hell, I'm already shopping for filters. No RAW, but I don't foresee myself getting that involved...yet. I found a great deal online and hopefully (according to FedEx tracking) it will be here on Friday (28th). I looked at the Olympus SP-570 also and was starting to get interested (RAW and hot shoe and lens options) but I decided to stick to my budget.
Features and Benefits

I am DEFINITELY taking my 6+ year old CoolPix 775 (overdue for an upgrade?:lmao:) for a back up piece just in case. There are several people who are relying on me to get some shots of this event to add to my slide show. All of this depends on the weather cooperating also.

I have the FZ8 and it is a fantabulous camera!

I decided after much thought, research and input from others that having a hot shoe trumped RAW. Panasonic has an 18x w/ hotshoe and RAW capabilities now...for a cool $1299 MSRP.:faint:

Last edited:
T

TwilightImaging

Kom...this looks like a great camera...let us know how things go...post a pic or three when you can.

M

Mousebaby

Canon S5 IS. I figure it gives me the flexibility I want and the simplicity my wife needs. Hell, I'm already shopping for filters. No RAW, but I don't foresee myself getting that involved...yet. I found a great deal online and hopefully (according to FedEx tracking) it will be here on Friday (28th). I looked at the Olympus SP-570 also and was starting to get interested (RAW and hot shoe and lens options) but I decided to stick to my budget.
Features and Benefits

I am DEFINITELY taking my 6+ year old CoolPix 775 (overdue for an upgrade?:lmao:) for a back up piece just in case. There are several people who are relying on me to get some shots of this event to add to my slide show. All of this depends on the weather cooperating also.

I decided after much thought, research and input from others that having a hot shoe trumped RAW. Panasonic has an 18x w/ hotshoe and RAW capabilities now...for a cool $1299 MSRP.:faint:

Holy guacamole that's a lot of dough! :faint:

kom526

Kom...this looks like a great camera...let us know how things go...post a pic or three when you can.

Just got delivered! I ordered it from buydig.com paid for 2-3 business day shipping and 24 hours later here it is! The manual for this thing is ginormous.

Package:
Camera (and stock accessories)

Plus the "Special Bargain Accessory Kit for S2, S3, & S5"
1 gb sd card
Hi-speed sd usb card reader
Rapid ac/dc charger and 4 NiMH AA batteries
pack of 12 screen protectors
lens cleaning kit

All this plus shipping for less than $400.

Please excuse me for a while...

kom526

1st batch
IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Tree rat on Auto
12x
No zoom (less than 1/2 mi away)
Lighthouse @ 48x digital zoom landscape mode (no tripod) so it was ~~~~

I have discovered that a 32mb fills up REAL quick :lmao: the 1 gb card is still in the package but it'll come out soon.

Last edited:

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
That is the same camera I have. It is nice but I am already itching for a full DSLR. It is nice with learning how to use the manual mode and all. I just got the speedlite 430 for it and a UV filter. I am not sure if the UV filter does anything for me yet but I only paid 7.00 for it from B&H.