Question about posting images and ownership

Loper

Animal Poor!
I don't know the laws and if someone else does great! When we post an image on here (in the photography forum) without a copyright, does that make the image public? Or does the photographer still own the image? I thought I saw something in the rules of this forum about images but can't seem to find it again.

I know there have been instances of people stealing images before with and without copyright marks on the images.

I guess what I am asking is if I post an image on here:
a. do I retain ownership even though this is a public forum?
b. what are the limitations (if any) of another forumite using the image?
without permission? with or without a copyright on the image?
c. do we need to "quote every thread with these images are not for use for personal or commercial purposes"

Does anyone one use digimark?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Any image you post remains yours whether it has a copyright/watermark or not; it's your intellectual/creative property.

So no one has the right to post your image as theirs or to post without giving some recognition of ownership. If they do you can, and should, ask for it to be deleted.

Same for the last question; if someone uses it without asking - presuming you find out they have done it - you can go after them.

I doubt most folks here would have a problem with someone saving an image as a background or whatever, but permission should be sought. If an image is sold that's a little more serious.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Any image you post remains yours whether it has a copyright/watermark or not; it's your intellectual/creative property.

So no one has the right to post your image as theirs or to post without giving some recognition of ownership. If they do you can, and should, ask for it to be deleted.

Same for the last question; if someone uses it without asking - presuming you find out they have done it - you can go after them.

I doubt most folks here would have a problem with someone saving an image as a background or whatever, but permission should be sought. If an image is sold that's a little more serious.

well actually I think the opposite, I don't think any images that have been posted on here should be saved at all for anyone. (Unless they have permission from the photographer) I know that is not the case though. Which is why I come back to the photog's right to the picture.

B

Bronwyn

I believe the copyright belong to the person that created the picture for the lifetime of the photographer plus X amount of years (like 75) or something.

T

TwilightImaging

A little info regarding copyright:

Permission The Law for Photographers / Travel Photography Law / Legal Issues of Taking Photos

Since March 1, 1989 Copyright notations are no longer an absolute necessity.
A copyright originates at the moment a work is created. Rights...questions

Additionally...
10 Myths about Copyright explained

Under age must be noted and signed by guardians, but I have rarely used one when shooting for Newspapers...I figure its on them?
Sample:
Generic PHOTOGRAPHY RELEASE FORM
I hereby grant to Twilight Imaging the irrevocable and unrestricted right to use and publish photographs of me, or in which I may be included, for library publications, electronic reproductions (web sites) and/or promotional materials or any other purpose and in any manner or medium. In
addition, I grant my permission to alter the same without restriction; and to copyright the same. I
hereby release the photographer and Twilight Imaging from all claims and liability relating to said
photographs.
Printed Name: _________________________________________ Date: _________________
Signature: ____________________________________________ Phone: ________________
Address: ____________________________________________________________________
City: ______________________________________ State: ___________ Zip: ____________

Last edited by a moderator:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
well actually I think the opposite, I don't think any images that have been posted on here should be saved at all for anyone.
I would consider it a compliment. :shrug: Unless they are a jerk about it or start distributing it elsewhere, I wouldn't mind.

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
This is why people should be considerate and ask before downloading an image to use as a desktop or whatever. Some people could care less if you do, while others would rather you not.

As the photographer, you can always put a water mark or copyright info across the image to protect it, but it does take away from the image.

As an admirer, realize that people do make money off of their skill. Since everyone here is nice enough to share their images, please respect that these image are the photographers property.

Tomcat

Anytime
Is this the post you're referring to?

Board Mommy said:
Red Alert Notice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG tags have been turned on in the Photography forum. This means that you can embed your photos in your posts instead of having to upload and attach them.

HOWEVER, embedding photos that do not belong to you is STRICTLY forbidden. And don't think you won't get caught because we get notes all the time from photographers and authors, complaining that someone has stolen their work and put it in the forums. We also get complaints about bandwidth theft, which is what happens when you embed a photo from someone else's site and it consumes their bandwidth whenever the photo is viewed on here.

So the rules are:

Only embed photos that belong to you and reside on a website that you own/maintain. If we get a complaint from a photographer that you have embedded one of their photos and/or stolen their bandwidth, you will be banned. No excuses.

If you want your fellow photographers to see someone else's work, link to it so the artist can have proper credit, do not steal it..

T

TwilightImaging

Sarah Lynn...in the words of my lil' one..."You Rok" Thanks!

Sarah Lynn

Giddy up
It's my favorite description of copyright law. It's the only one that can keep the attention of my hyperactive short attention span.

T

TwilightImaging

I can understand this...I actually watched the whole thang! yay! Not sure if thats good or bad, but I liked it!! Thanks...it was better than Sponge Bob!