Hey Porsche944turbo

LateApex

Nothing wrong with either design as long as the engine is adequately cooled.

An air cooled engine is by nature a simpler design because there is no radiator and other related parts. So it is cheaper and easier to maintain. Of course, the fan has to be utterly reliable - or else!

However, the main disdvantage to an air cooled engine is that it is very loud. That is the reason why Porsche now has water cooled engines.

The only advatage I see in water cooled engines is in turbo aplications. There you have the turbo putting out huge amounts of heat and an air cooled motor will suffer from severe heat soak.

blacklabman

Nothing wrong with either design as long as the engine is adequately cooled.

An air cooled engine is by nature a simpler design because there is no radiator and other related parts. So it is cheaper and easier to maintain. Of course, the fan has to be utterly reliable - or else!

However, the main disdvantage to an air cooled engine is that it is very loud. That is the reason why Porsche now has water cooled engines.

The only advatage I see in water cooled engines is in turbo aplications. There you have the turbo putting out huge amounts of heat and an air cooled motor will suffer from severe heat soak.

This is just a friendly jab amongst Porsche owners.

There are plenty of turbo air cooled 911s out there.

Porsche, I hear, decided to go water cooled to meet increasingly stringent emission standards. BTW, Jerry Seinfield, a Porschephile, bought the last air cooled 911 off the production line.

This is just a friendly jab amongst Porsche owners.

There are plenty of turbo air cooled 911s out there.

Porsche, I hear, decided to go water cooled to meet increasingly stringent emission standards. BTW, Jerry Seinfield, a Porschephile, bought the last air cooled 911 off the production line.

Real Porsche's are front engined!!!

LOL

Actually my father in law always gives me crap that only 911 is a real Porsche. I tell him the "real" Porsche in any comparison is the one that is fastest..... :lmao: No, my car is not stock. ;)

I have seen a few more of us around since the weather has improved.

Are you on Rennlist?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

WHY would an aircooled engine be louder than not?

I've got a pretty damn quiet aircooled bike..