Other Childless by Choice Couples????

Boones6433

Just wondering if there are any other 20 or 30-something couples in the area that are childless by choice? My husband and I enjoy children (as long as they belong to someone else) and aren't sure whether our opinion of having children will ever change. It would be nice to chat with or hang out with other couples that haven't given in to the pressure of becoming parents. If you fit the description I'd love to hear your opinions.....

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Boones6433
Just wondering if there are any other 20 or 30-something couples in the area that are childless by choice? My husband and I enjoy children (as long as they belong to someone else) and aren't sure whether our opinion of having children will ever change. It would be nice to chat with or hang out with other couples that haven't given in to the pressure of becoming parents. If you fit the description I'd love to hear your opinions.....
pressure? :shrug: What is that all about?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Other Childless by Choice Couples????

Originally posted by mainman
pressure? :shrug: What is that all about?

Whatcha mean, main? There's all sorts of pressure to have children in today's society. As a newly married person, I can't count the # of times I've been asked when we're having children.

Boones6433

Parenting Pressure

In my opinion it just seems that as soon as a couple gets married the "when are you going to have children" question is asked over and over again - which can begin to feel like pressure to conform to a social norm.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Parenting Pressure

Originally posted by Boones6433
In my opinion it just seems that as soon as a couple gets married the "when are you going to have children" question is asked over and over again - which can begin to feel like pressure to conform to a social norm.

:yeahthat: I got what you were saying, Boones :cool: .

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by Barbra
It may be selfish, but we're happy.
ura.gif
And that is all that matters. I don't think of it as being selfish at all. If you don't want the responsibility, then you shouldn't have children. It's not easy, but for me, it's very rewarding. :biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
And that is all that matters. I don't think of it as being selfish at all. If you don't want the responsibility, then you shouldn't have children.

:yeahthat: It's not selfish at all to not want to take on unnecessary responsibility. Good for ya'll!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It may be selfish, but we're happy.
Let me tell you what's selfish, Sweetie Pea - having a child that you have neither the time, energy, money or desire to care for. I admire couples who don't want children and don't give in to the pressures of would-be grandmas and aunties.

Boones6433

Childless = Selfish....I don't think so

I have heard the comment that choosing not to have children is selfish and I usually argue that many reasons people give for having children are actually more selfish. People have children for their own personal reasons, since there is no way to ask a child if it wants to be born into a family.

bottoms up

I would rather see a couple make a conscious decision to not have children for their own personal reasons than some couples I see who have a couple of kids they don't really want and treat them that way. :ohwell:

Good on you all! :clap:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What if one of these childless couples gets knocked up by accident (or simply defeating whatever form of birth control you use), it happens, two of my four were pill babies, what will you do now?

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by Ken King
What if one of these childless couples gets knocked up by accident (or simply defeating whatever form of birth control you use),
:howdy: That's how I ended up with my little lady bug. :biggrin:

I could have chosen to abort or give her up for adoption. I chose to keep her and although I was young at the time, I think I made the right decision. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
what will you do now?
Lots of options, but most would probably just choose to be betrayed by their own body and resign themselves to becoming a parent.

Both of my kids were unplanned - I'd have been happily childless but my birth-control had other ideas. When I got pregnant with Doug, we just figured, oh well, and got married. When I got pregnant with Kyle, we again figured, oh well - and then there were two. The only kids in my life that I actually chose were my two step-daughters - this fact tickles them to no end. :lol:

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
:howdy: That's how I ended up with my little lady bug. :biggrin:

I could have chosen to abort or give her up for adoption. I chose to keep her and although I was young at the time, I think I made the right decision. :biggrin:
You did make the right decision! :smile:

SxyPrincess

I'm glad to have met some of you forumites w/ kids in tow. Example - RoseRed & Bch/Yakky's girls. They're cute as can be and smart little cookies to boot.
rev.gif
I remember the night Yak's little girl was talking about her 'Soozie' :roflmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Not having children allows us to do the things we want to do when we want to do them. Not having children allows us to have the things we want to have when we want to have them. Not having children allows us to have the money we need to do the above-mentioned. It may be selfish, but we're happy.

:yeahthat: I'm not sure if I really made a conscious decision to NOT have kids, but it never happened and probably never will. I'm not going to fret over not having kids.

My mom has grandkids through my sister, so she's happy. :lol:

bottoms up

What if one of these childless couples gets knocked up by accident (or simply defeating whatever form of birth control you use), it happens, two of my four were pill babies, what will you do now?

Good point. :ohwell: I would hope though that if a couple is adult enough to make the conscious decision that they do not want children, they would be adult in making a decision about how to handle the unplanned pregnancy whether that means keeping the child or offering him or her for adoption.

What sickens me is when it happens to people who toss the newborn child when he or she is born in a dumpster, river, port-a-potty. :burning: There are so many families who would want that child and give it a good home and would be more than happy to keep the birth parents identity secret if they wanted that and not question their reasons for chosing adoption or their priorities.