Vet Scam

pilot

I've recently noticed something with my vet that seems suspiciously like a scam.

It all started when I took one of my cats to the vet back in January. They were pushing to have all these additional tests done for "senior" cats. The problem is not only that these tests are very expensive, not only are they extremely intrusive to your cat (you have to leave the cat alone at the vet's office, where presumably they are poked and prodded for hours), but they also define as "senior", any cat that is six years or older.

But that's not all.

A few months later I took another cat to the same vet. The vet flagged him as being "overweight". Now, I know kitty could probably stand to lose a few pounds (can't we all!), but he is not grossly overweight. He's a little chunky. But not only have I been pressured to put him on a diet, but they keep wanting me to bring him in for "follow-up" appointments. Of course, these additional appointments cost money.

I want to do my best for the cats, but is all this really necessary? Or is this just the latest scam to "guilt-trip" pet owners into spending more money?

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Sounds like the old orthodontist and "your kid needs braces" scam.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My cat is 12 years old and at last check was in good shape, in no need of any tests of any sort, no special medications or any other treatments. No such thing has ever been suggested. She has developed the habit of sitting on my keyboard when I'm typing though...especially when she knows I'm talking about her. That could be hazardous to her health.

Cowgirl

I get a senior panel done every year for Scooter because he's older now. I just like to make sure everything is working properly. It's only about $90, and I think it's worth it.

If the vet said your cat is overweight, it probably is. Don't kill it with kindness. Why would you want your pet to be overweight if you can help it? As far as follow-up visits, your cat should at least be taken in yearly for vaccines/checkups. I wouldn't think it's necessary to take the cat in just to monitor its weight or anything. :shrug:

luvscats

I used one vet's office that recommended the extra tests, bloodwork, etc., for my senior cats. At first I assumed the tests were necessary but after hearing the same requests for addl tests over and over it got expensive and it just didn't feel right to me. I'm now using a vet that has what I feel is a more common sense approach. I take good care of my critters but things were just getting out of hand.

H

HouseCat

I've recently noticed something with my vet that seems suspiciously like a scam.

It all started when I took one of my cats to the vet back in January. They were pushing to have all these additional tests done for "senior" cats. The problem is not only that these tests are very expensive, not only are they extremely intrusive to your cat (you have to leave the cat alone at the vet's office, where presumably they are poked and prodded for hours), but they also define as "senior", any cat that is six years or older.

But that's not all.

A few months later I took another cat to the same vet. The vet flagged him as being "overweight". Now, I know kitty could probably stand to lose a few pounds (can't we all!), but he is not grossly overweight. He's a little chunky. But not only have I been pressured to put him on a diet, but they keep wanting me to bring him in for "follow-up" appointments. Of course, these additional appointments cost money.

I want to do my best for the cats, but is all this really necessary? Or is this just the latest scam to "guilt-trip" pet owners into spending more money?

No, its not necessary, and Yes, its a guilt trip. I would find another vet. A good one will tell you what you really need, and what you don't. My old vet in TX told me I could opt for certain tests as a precaution, but since my cat is an indoor cat, he really didn't need them. I now use the vet in PF; she seems pretty reasonable.

You can always put your foot down and so NO as well. Nothing wrong with a chunky cat. We all have different opinions on what is chunky, and what is not. Use your common sense like others mentioned. Tell the vet you're going to try alternative methods to slim him down that doesn't involve poking/prodding, like less food in the bowl; more exercise.

resrie7

But that's not all.

I wouldn’t view this type of marketing as a scam, more so I think that the veterinarians are trying to make their clientele aware of everything that is available for them (the client). Veterinary medicine is growing by leaps and bounds and there are so many things we as pet owners can do for our pets these days but ultimately, it is and should always be our decision whether to do the added tests. As pets age, just like us, underlying medical conditions may start to develop. Early detection rather than waiting until there are symptoms is certainly a plus in managing any disease but can you afford it??? If no, then don’t do it but if you can and that is something you wish to do, go ahead and have the tests done. Some people like the peace of mind that an extensive clean bill of health can give them. Pets age at a much faster rate than we do and many animals are approaching senior age by the age of seven or so and geriatric by the age of 12-16. There are certain breeds as well that are susceptible to certain diseases such as the small terriers and Cushing’s disease, Flat Coated Retrievers and Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia, or Golden Retrievers and cancers or thyroid problems. If you have a breed that is a high risk for disease you should talk with your veterinarian and see what route is best for you. If your veterinarian and veterinary hospital are reputable, I wouldn’t worry too much about them scamming you. I truly believe that it is their job to educate the public, let the public know all the options out there these days. When I take one of my younger dogs in I just say …thank you for all your information but I just want my routine physical exam and vaccines. Don’t feel bad, just because something is available and offered to you doesn’t mean you have to purchase and you should never feel guilty or forced into anything that’s just wrong.
As for your overweight cat, it probably is. Don’t take it personal. It is what it is. We all get the “overweight pet talk” from the veterinarians… :)

Last edited:

animalgal2003

scam

I am sorry that you feel that they are scamming you. Just as we age, so do your cats. When we get put on medications from the doctor or become seniors- your doctor wants to see you every 3 months. Cats can develop severe health issues and may not show symptoms until it is too late. Kidney failure is high on that list- remember that kidney's cannot repair themselves but if you catch it early enough there are easy treatments that can prolong their life. Diabetes is very common in overweight cats. Thyroid disease another very common disease of senior cats- can be extremely dangerous if left untreated- high heart rate, rapid weight loss etc. So, maybe they didn't educate you enough as to why these things were important. It seem like you love you cats a lot. They just want to help you hold on to them for as long as you can.

Do you feed your cats dry or wet food? Ask your vet about putting your overweight cat on wet. Cats are carnivores. They need protein. Dry foods are full of carbohydrates and they are not able to break those down. That's when they run in diabetic issues. Check with your vet to see how they feel.You always have the right to decline these offers- it is your vet's job to educate you and offer what is best for your kitties.