Help Identify Bird

OldHillcrestGuy

On my goldfinch feeder, Im also getting little birds that look like a sparrow but they have red on their chest and their head has alot of red, I was once told these are winesap sparrows if there is such a thing.:shrug:
The little goldfinches are starting to get there bright yellow coats again.
Saw some bluebirds scooping out on of my bluebird houses today sure hope they decide to move in.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
On my goldfinch feeder, Im also getting little birds that look like a sparrow but they have red on their chest and their head has alot of red, I was once told these are winesap sparrows if there is such a thing.:shrug:
Saw some bluebirds scooping out on of my bluebird houses today sure hope they decide to move in.

They are probably purple finches. I think that is what they are called. We went through a LOT of thistle this weekend with the goldfinches. Our bluebirds were very busy, also. I'll post pics tomorrow if I remember to.

nicole_M

Can you recommend any good bird books BS Gal? It's been one of my favorite things to do in the early mornings lately...

I've got about 10 different kinds of birds in my yard now... I don't know much about them - just try to keep them fed and always have water in the bird bath.

I've seen red and blue birds... Tons of tiny birds and alot of them are blackish with a burnt orange colored chest. And a few of them have huge bellies...

I want to get a decent book so the kids and I can identify them... I love watching them in the morning. :stupid:

M

Mousebaby

Can you recommend any good bird books BS Gal? It's been one of my favorite things to do in the early mornings lately...

I've got about 10 different kinds of birds in my yard now... I don't know much about them - just try to keep them fed and always have water in the bird bath.

I've seen red and blue birds... Tons of tiny birds and alot of them are blackish with a burnt orange colored chest. And a few of them have huge bellies...

I want to get a decent book so the kids and I can identify them... I love watching them in the morning. :stupid:

I have this book and I absolutely love it!

Amazon.com: Book of North American Birds: Reader's Digest Editors: Books

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

I have found the BEST one is "The Audubon Society Field Guilde to North American Birds." It's a great book for identifying them. Small, softcover, probably less than $20. I've had it forever.

nicole_M

Do you have feeders up for them?

Yes. Well I've got a hummingbird feeder and I also have about 3 birdfeeders that I keep filled with a mix called 'Harmony'... Supposed to attract a ide variety of birds - I got it from a place up in Glen Burnie... They sell about 15 diff. kinds by the pound. I got 10 pounds @ .25/pound. It's almost out.

I catch the squirrels up there sometimes.

I also have an overabundance of pine cones so I cover them in peanut butter and roll them in the bird seed and keep them ALL over the yard for the birdies.

Any other suggestions??

jetmonkey

I use flash guides to quickly ID local birds. Basically like a laminated map of birds. I got some at Greenwell Park and the Wild Bird Center in Waldorf.

Rael

Supper's Ready
Could be a purple finch as BS Gal said, could also be a male house finch. Pics of both below. (House finch on left, purple on right) Not sure I've seen a purple yet, but we have many house finches. (purple finches' red seems a very intense red...with red also on the wings and tail).

Our house finches have a youngen' they're teaching, cool to watch. :yay:

Attachments

• House_finch.jpg
    House_finch.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 137
  • purple finch male.jpg
    purple finch male.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 181

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Yes. Well I've got a hummingbird feeder and I also have about 3 birdfeeders that I keep filled with a mix called 'Harmony'... Supposed to attract a ide variety of birds - I got it from a place up in Glen Burnie... They sell about 15 diff. kinds by the pound. I got 10 pounds @ .25/pound. It's almost out.

I catch the squirrels up there sometimes.

I also have an overabundance of pine cones so I cover them in peanut butter and roll them in the bird seed and keep them ALL over the yard for the birdies.

Any other suggestions??

I personally keep it simple-nyjer/thistle and black oil sunflower seeds-that's it, oh and I do make suet cakes w/black oil seeds.
Top 10 Foods for Winter Bird Feeding
Bird Feeding Chart

morningbell

hmmmmmm

Scarlet Tanager?
Scarlet-Tanager.jpg

OldHillcrestGuy

Could be a purple finch as BS Gal said, could also be a male house finch. Pics of both below. (House finch on left, purple on right) Not sure I've seen a purple yet, but we have many house finches. (purple finches' red seems a very intense red...with red also on the wings and tail).

Its a house finch, purple finch seems to have more red on its tail feathers then the house finch, havent noticed any red on the tail feathers of the birds I have around the feeder. Thanks

beerlover

I always called them Headwound Finches. They look like they've suffered a head wound.