Kids with pet allergies..

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Yeah, great.. Just found out my son is highly allergic to cats and mildly allergic to dogs, plu s a list of other environmental things. I don't want to banish Lucky13 to the yard and I'm not will to give him up. I've already invested a bunch of money in to having him and it's just nice to have something furry to play with.(keep your dirty mind to yourself) Can I put something on the dog to protect my kiddo?? Also, the previous owner recommended a shock collar for training and to teach him not to run off so badly.. She says I can work with him outside better. I don't think I want to do this.. Sounds mean if you ask me. What do you think?

B

Bronwyn

Yeah, great.. Just found out my son is highly allergic to cats and mildly allergic to dogs, plu s a list of other environmental things. I don't want to banish Lucky13 to the yard and I'm not will to give him up. I've already invested a bunch of money in to having him and it's just nice to have something furry to play with.(keep your dirty mind to yourself) Can I put something on the dog to protect my kiddo?? Also, the previous owner recommended a shock collar for training and to teach him not to run off so badly.. She says I can work with him outside better. I don't think I want to do this.. Sounds mean if you ask me. What do you think?

Didn't you say you had a beagle that ate cats? Just put them in a closed room together for a day. :roflmao:

jenbengen

Watch it

Our allergist was understanding enough with our cats (my kid is "mildly" allergic to cats) that he recommended weekly allergy shots for the cat issues (also gets shots for outdoor stuff). It's too early to tell if the shots are effective for us or not, but we are hoping for the best! Aside from keeping everything as clean as you can, there isn't much else to do aside from not having a pet.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
You know, my kids and myself love our animals but I'm not sure they would be worth putting my kid through weekly shots for. :ohwell:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I've always had allergies (bad ones) and I've always lived with cats & dogs. They say you can grow out of your allergies, but I never did. I try to keep my animals out of my face and I vaccum and sweep A LOT. There are things you can do to minimize your dogs contact w/your child.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
The kiddo is scheduled for shoots next month and I feel bed about it because he hates shots:frown: I'm gonna do all the regular things, like mattress covers, hepa vac, regular bathing for the dog and such. I'll not allow the dog in the bedrooms at all anymore and restrict him to the living room and kitchen so the mess stays at a minimum. I don't want to banish Lucky to the outdoors completely because it will cut down his people time considerably. That wouldn't be fair to him and it will make it harder for me to work with him on housebreaking and manners. I'm hoping the shots will be enough for Boy to overcome the slight allergy. I never suspected he'd be allergic to the dog. I just thought he had hayfever:ohwell:

M

Mousebaby

The best thing you could do is rip out all your carpet and get rid of it. Also, get one or two of those big ionic breeze machines, they are recommended by allergists for getting rid of all sorts of things in the air including pet dander. Also, replace your filters in your ac/heat intakes with HEPA allergen filters that are reusable. Wash those out regularly, I have to do mine every 3 to 4 weeks. Use a damp wash rag to dust and rinse it out down the sink. I have hardwood floors so I use a dust mop and Endust to get up pet hair and dander. I dust daily! My son and I both have all kinds of allergies but we manage to stay ok with all these preventions. Also, my doctor just told me to get a dehumidifier and keep my humidity levels between 30-40% and for me to put allergy pillow cases on my pillows and a good mattress cover. It gets expensive to do all of this, but you have to make adjustments if you plan on keeping your pets. Good Luck! :howdy:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Afternoon,

I am also trying to get my son tested for allergies, but Dr. Miller said he doesn't due that, so I asked if he would recommened someone to go to, I was told just call my insurance company they will give me a name.

Does anyone recommened a certain doctor to have him tested, I'm in the Mechanicsville area so I can go up to Waldorf or down south.

Oh my doctor recommened Dr. Nina Bhatti but can't seem to find a number for her.

Help

TIA
Sanchezf

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
The best thing you could do is rip out all your carpet and get rid of it. Also, get one or two of those big ionic breeze machines, they are recommended by allergists for getting rid of all sorts of things in the air including pet dander. Also, replace your filters in your ac/heat intakes with HEPA allergen filters that are reusable. Wash those out regularly, I have to do mine every 3 to 4 weeks. Use a damp wash rag to dust and rinse it out down the sink. I have hardwood floors so I use a dust mop and Endust to get up pet hair and dander. I dust daily! My son and I both have all kinds of allergies but we manage to stay ok with all these preventions. Also, my doctor just told me to get a dehumidifier and keep my humidity levels between 30-40% and for me to put allergy pillow cases on my pillows and a good mattress cover. It gets expensive to do all of this, but you have to make adjustments if you plan on keeping your pets. Good Luck! :howdy:

I'm a renter.:ohwell: :lol: But I do plan on doing all that other stuff.:yay:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Afternoon,

I am also trying to get my son tested for allergies, but Dr. Miller said he doesn't due that, so I asked if he would recommened someone to go to, I was told just call my insurance company they will give me a name.

Does anyone recommened a certain doctor to have him tested, I'm in the Mechanicsville area so I can go up to Waldorf or down south.

Oh my doctor recommened Dr. Nina Bhatti but can't seem to find a number for her.

Help

TIA
Sanchezf

My son went to the Bean Medical Center. Call 301-373-7900 and ask for Allergy and Dermatology:yay:

M

Mousebaby

We use Dr. Simlote, he is very nice and really good with kids. He has offices in several places, but I think either the California or Leonardtown office would work best for you. He has one phone number for all offices, it is: 301-475-7900. Good Luck! :howdy:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
My son was severely allergic to dog *saliva* as a child -- not dog fur, nor cats. His face would get blotchy and his eyes would swell shut if he got licked in the face or on his hands and then touched his face/eyes. We didn't own a dog but I kept asking his Dr. if he needed allergy shots and he kept saying he might grow out of it. Well, by age 10 or so he did and we haven't had the problem since. He does still have hayfever though. I would just follow the precautions mentioned above and if it doesn't get any better or if he has Asthma, demand allergy testing/meds from the doc or get rid of the dog. :(

ocean733

Attachments

• Stosh.jpg
    Stosh.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 117