Car Trouble: What is the problem?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX (automatic) that I use primarily as a commuter car--since buying it new it's never given me any trouble. Low mileage, and well cared for. Oil is changed regularly, routine maintenance done, etc.

About a week ago my husband took it out to pick up dinner, and when he tried to start it nothing would turn over...moreover, the shifter became locked in the "Park" position. We thought initially that it might be the battery, so I drove up to the parking lot and tried to jump it--didn't work. We putzed around with it for an hour or so, and finally when we turned the key the engine started and we were able to get it home.

For a few days after that it worked just fine...

Now, yesterday morning I tried to leave for work and again, it won't start. No click, no turn over, and the shifter is again stuck in the "park" position.

What in the world is the problem? Starter? Alternator? Battery? Something else?

If anyone experienced with this sort of thing has any ideas, I would be very appreciative for some advice. Thank you!

MrX

High Octane
My guess would be ignition switch or neutral safety switch having an issue.....

itsbob

I bowl overhand
When we changed the clocks to you convert your left handed wombulator to a right handed wombulator??

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
When we changed the clocks to you convert your left handed wombulator to a right handed wombulator??

Now why do you have to always be a smartazz?

Everyone knows the first thing to check is the blinker fluid.

bohman

My uneducated guess would be a bad starter, or bad contacts on the starter, but I don't know why that would leave you stuck in park. Best to get it into a mechanic.

Bigt3725

Big T's Entertainment LLC
same problem

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Come to find out it was my connections on the battery. They were in bad shape. So I had to replace them on my 02 eclipse and now all is good.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Come to find out it was my connections on the battery. They were in bad shape. So I had to replace them on my 02 eclipse and now all is good.

Makes sense.... to get a car out of park you have to depress the brake. If the brake switch isn't seeing enough voltage, then the car thinks the brake is not depressed and locks it in park.

Check the battery connections, and the battery itself.

backagain39

I had a car that wouldn't start after it rained.......I guess it had a moisture problem or it hated the rain.......:killingme

R

residentofcre

I had a car that wouldn't start after it rained.......I guess it had a moisture problem or it hated the rain.......:killingme

I had a car that wouldn't start after a rain... it was a cracked distributer cap....

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
My Honda Accord has 296,000 miles on it and still going strong. Sounds like your battery is the issue. If it will jump and stay running then disconnect battery while the car is running and if it stays running you have dead battery. If it dies then your alternator may be shot provided your cables are in good shape.

Good luck.

C6R_Mag

***shifter*** shifter will not move without the car running. i know thats the least of your worries though.

Dodgem250

I have not read all the threads but right off I'm going to say the Park safety switch is failing, next time it does it, try jamming the shifter into park, may need to do it a few times, if it's the safety switch, then car should start up.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX (automatic) that I use primarily as a commuter car--since buying it new it's never given me any trouble. Low mileage, and well cared for. Oil is changed regularly, routine maintenance done, etc.

About a week ago my husband took it out to pick up dinner, and when he tried to start it nothing would turn over...moreover, the shifter became locked in the "Park" position. We thought initially that it might be the battery, so I drove up to the parking lot and tried to jump it--didn't work. We putzed around with it for an hour or so, and finally when we turned the key the engine started and we were able to get it home.

For a few days after that it worked just fine...

Now, yesterday morning I tried to leave for work and again, it won't start. No click, no turn over, and the shifter is again stuck in the "park" position.

What in the world is the problem? Starter? Alternator? Battery? Something else?

If anyone experienced with this sort of thing has any ideas, I would be very appreciative for some advice. Thank you!