Silly cow question

red_explorer

I know I am stupid, and shouldn't ask this, but what does it mean when a heifer freshens? My friend was talking about it, and I didn't want to seem ignorant, and I can't find a definition on the web. All I can find is "When a heifer freshens..." That doesn't help me.

Please help!

Cowgirl

I know I am stupid, and shouldn't ask this, but what does it mean when a heifer freshens? My friend was talking about it, and I didn't want to seem ignorant, and I can't find a definition on the web. All I can find is "When a heifer freshens..." That doesn't help me.

Please help!

It means she calves. Has a baby. Pops one out. They say "freshen" because she will start lactating...she's "freshening" her milk supply. It's typically a dairy term. Beef people usually say a cow calves, not freshens.

ETA: And after she freshens, she's no longer a heifer. She's a cow!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser

Please help!
Poor, poor K_Jo. :ohwell:

red_explorer

It means she calves. Has a baby. Pops one out. They say "freshen" because she will start lactating...she's "freshening" her milk supply.

Ok, thank you very much. I really appreciate that!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So...

It means she calves. Has a baby. Pops one out. They say "freshen" because she will start lactating...she's "freshening" her milk supply. It's typically a dairy term. Beef people usually say a cow calves, not freshens.

...this whole 'cow girl' moniker business isn't just a name, eh?

:lmao: