Bird Question

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I asked this in another thread, but thought I would put it here also.

I just took my dog down to the beach and he brought me a dead bird. Not sure what kind it was, but it had a pointy beak and it's feet reminded me of back fins on a crab, it also had a white chest and stomach. Anyone know what this might have been? It was floating in the water and I was trying to distract my dog from it, but then a while later it washed up and I had forgotten about it, but the dog sure didn't.

I searched the internet and couldn't find anything.

Cowgirl

The feet looked like crab fins? :confused: How pointy was the beak? How long? Hummingbirds and herons both have pointy beaks, but they're much different. :lmao: What color was the rest of the bird?

jenbengen

Watch it

I just took my dog down to the beach and he brought me a dead bird. Not sure what kind it was, but it had a pointy beak and it's feet reminded me of back fins on a crab, it also had a white chest and stomach. Anyone know what this might have been? It was floating in the water and I was trying to distract my dog from it, but then a while later it washed up and I had forgotten about it, but the dog sure didn't.

All joking aside, I have no idea what that would be. Sorry. :howdy:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
The feet looked like crab fins? :confused: How pointy was the beak? How long? Hummingbirds and herons both have pointy beaks, but they're much different. :lmao: What color was the rest of the bird?

I'm pretty sure it was one of those birds you see diving straight down into the water for fish. The feet were just really strange.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

Okay, I'll describe it differently. It had 3 or 4 "toes" on each foot and they were each shaped like the rounded part of the crabs back fin. They were curled up from being water logged, but I imagine if they were spread out normal they may have been webbed like a duck.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Allright then, that narrows it down to several dozen.

It doesn't really matter, I was mad for not taking my camera anyway I could have gotten some great shots of my puppy in the water. I also could have had a picture to go by, would have made it a lot easier. :doh: I'll take my bone head award now.

Sounds like a loon.