2 stroke advice

bohman

This isn't exactly about a "ride", but I figured there are more gear-heads here than the outdoor forum. I have a 5 horse Nissan outboard that is starting to put out a lot of white smoke in the exhaust. Plus, the last time I ran it full-throttle, it was starting to bog down a bit.

It idles just fine, and starts on the first or second pull. I put a new plug in it last week, although I didn't bother to measure the gap first, so that may not have done as much good as I thought. I simply forgot to bring the gapper with me to the dock.

A couple of obvious things come to mind. Make sure I get some fresh fuel & oil in it. That can be a problem, since I run it infrequently - it's a on a sail boat. I run for 10 minutes to get away from the dock, & 10 minutes back to the dock. Possible clogged fuel filter. Possible dirty carb?

What are some other starting points for me to look at?

This isn't exactly about a "ride", but I figured there are more gear-heads here than the outdoor forum. I have a 5 horse Nissan outboard that is starting to put out a lot of white smoke in the exhaust. Plus, the last time I ran it full-throttle, it was starting to bog down a bit.

It idles just fine, and starts on the first or second pull. I put a new plug in it last week, although I didn't bother to measure the gap first, so that may not have done as much good as I thought. I simply forgot to bring the gapper with me to the dock.

A couple of obvious things come to mind. Make sure I get some fresh fuel & oil in it. That can be a problem, since I run it infrequently - it's a on a sail boat. I run for 10 minutes to get away from the dock, & 10 minutes back to the dock. Possible clogged fuel filter. Possible dirty carb?

Fuel is the first thing to come to mind, too much oil in the mix. 2nd is the spark plug. Make sure it's gapped correctly. Beyond that, it just may need some running. Also, get some Marvel Mystery Oil and put an ounce or two in the fuel mix. It will help loosen the rings if they are getting stuck from sitting.

White smoke would be an indication of water getting into the combustion chamber via a cooling jacket/port, even in a 2-stroke.

ImnoMensa

Just a guess ,but is there a piss hole for the cooling water or does it come out from the exhaust.

Maybe the water pump isnt putting out enough and you are just getting steam.

Sometimes water pumps go bad over the winter.

T

TwilightImaging

White smoke would be an indication of water getting into the combustion chamber via a cooling jacket/port, even in a 2-stroke.

:yeahthat: White is h20...other wise I would say oil....but thats water.

bohman

Well damn. I didn't want to hear that. I assume the fix would be taking the head apart & putting in a new gasket?

Just a guess ,but is there a piss hole for the cooling water or does it come out from the exhaust.

Maybe the water pump isnt putting out enough and you are just getting steam.

Sometimes water pumps go bad over the winter.

Possible, but not likely. I put a new impellor in recently, and there is a good stream of cooling water getting through. Comes back out warm, not nearly hot enough to steam.