Wal-Mart Experiment Paid Off

B

Bruzilla

My wife has issues with cholesterol and high blood pressure for years, and was taking four presciption drugs that had an out-of-pocket cost of about $175 every month. Three months ago my wife was complaigning about the cost to me, and I told her to get the list of generics that Wal Mart has on it's $4 deal, take it to her doctor, and tell him instead of these super-fancy new brand name drugs that she wants a good, effective, generic off the list.

She took me up on my suggestion, went to her doctor, and he wrote her scripts for four of the drugs on the list. New out-of-pocket cost: $16. Three months later her cholesterol issues are gone and she's now down to just two blood pressure drugs, one she gets on a 30-day script and one on a 90-day. New monthly cost - $7. So after taking all these fancy drugs for two years, and paying $175/a month with little sign of improvement, she's now much improved and paying $7 a month. Maybe it was the drug costs that were keeping her blood pressure up.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
*lol*

My wife has issues with cholesterol and high blood pressure for years, and was taking four presciption drugs that had an out-of-pocket cost of about $175 every month. Three months ago my wife was complaigning about the cost to me, and I told her to get the list of generics that Wal Mart has on it's $4 deal, take it to her doctor, and tell him instead of these super-fancy new brand name drugs that she wants a good, effective, generic off the list.

She took me up on my suggestion, went to her doctor, and he wrote her scripts for four of the drugs on the list. New out-of-pocket cost: $16. Three months later her cholesterol issues are gone and she's now down to just two blood pressure drugs, one she gets on a 30-day script and one on a 90-day. New monthly cost - $7. So after taking all these fancy drugs for two years, and paying $175/a month with little sign of improvement, she's now much improved and paying $7 a month. Maybe it was the drug costs that were keeping her blood pressure up.

Good news! Glad to hear it!

:buddies:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Big kudo's to Wal-Mart for the drug prices. Target is following suit, and we get better service there at the same price.

But Wal-Mart does deserve all the credit because they are leading the way. They are doing more to make everyday health care affordable than any politcian has.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Same with me! For years I spent money on allergy and BC pills. Even w/my insurance I was paying $30 for BC and $50 a month for allergy. I switched to generic BC and OTC Wal-Mart brand allergy meds (which work BETTER than the name brands EVER did). My monthly cost is now $14. :yay:

terbear1225

anyone know if there's a generic scrip for pink eye? cost's $40 each time my daughter gets it and she's had 5 cases already this year!

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Bruzilla, I'm glad your wife is doing so much better. :flowers:

I am a little confused. Is it that the brand names cost so much that insurance only pays a portion or is it that insurance doesnt pay at all? Is the new (very) low price the prescription (co-pay? Can't think of the terminology)?

My Rx insurance has to be done online for ongoing/monthly meds so I may never get to see this but it's definitely good news.

S

sportspartier

awesome!! :buddies:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Bruzilla, I'm glad your wife is doing so much better. :flowers:

I am a little confused. Is it that the brand names cost so much that insurance only pays a portion or is it that insurance doesnt pay at all? Is the new (very) low price the prescription (co-pay? Can't think of the terminology)?

My Rx insurance has to be done online for ongoing/monthly meds so I may never get to see this but it's definitely good news.

You can go to Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. or Welcome to Target and click on "Pharmacy" for an explanation and list of drugs.

I use my mail order benefit for those that aren't covered, and I use the Target pharmacy for my $4/month meds.

If you have insurance, and your co-pay for a covered med is more than $4, they will only charge you $4.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I wonder...

Big kudo's to Wal-Mart for the drug prices. Target is following suit, and we get better service there at the same price.

But Wal-Mart does deserve all the credit because they are leading the way. They are doing more to make everyday health care affordable than any politcian has.

...if WalMart has nay plans to move into generic oil and gasoline, too?

:banghead:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I switched to generic BC and OTC Wal-Mart brand allergy meds (which work BETTER than the name brands EVER did). My monthly cost is now $14. :yay:

The Wal-Mart brand allergy meds price is being dropped to $4 now also. Saves me a few more $. :yahoo:

smsd

DA BEARS!!!
anyone know if there's a generic scrip for pink eye? cost's $40 each time my daughter gets it and she's had 5 cases already this year!

Are you sure that she doesn't have allergies? Only reason I ask is that my 7 yr daughter has allergies and the symptoms are almost identical to pink eye. And when they first presented, I thought it was pink eye and we had medication for it but no sooner did she get off the medication it would come back. She takes Claritin and for the most part it stays away, unless there's a really bad pollen week.

Just something to look into.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
You can go to Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. or Welcome to Target and click on "Pharmacy" for an explanation and list of drugs.

I use my mail order benefit for those that aren't covered, and I use the Target pharmacy for my $4/month meds.

If you have insurance, and your co-pay for a covered med is more than $4, they will only charge you $4.

Thanks MMDad. :flowers:

I am almost certain I can't use anything except the mail-order/online Rx program. But, I am going to research that "monthly/ongoing/reoccuring Rx's" clause because some things I don't want to wait for like Allergy meds for my son and me.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Are you sure that she doesn't have allergies? Only reason I ask is that my 7 yr daughter has allergies and the symptoms are almost identical to pink eye. And when they first presented, I thought it was pink eye and we had medication for it but no sooner did she get off the medication it would come back. She takes Claritin and for the most part it stays away, unless there's a really bad pollen week.

That's how my son's allergies affect him, eyes itchy and red. He has drops and pills. Mine are sneezing and itchy eyes but I don't rub them.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Thanks MMDad. :flowers:

I am almost certain I can't use anything except the mail-order/online Rx program. But, I am going to research that "monthly/ongoing/reoccuring Rx's" clause because some things I don't want to wait for like Allergy meds for my son and me.

You don't even need to run it through your insurance if you use Wal-Mart or Target. You can get the $4 meds.

MMDad

Lem Putt
These are the $4 eye drugs:

Atropine Sulfate 1% op. solution 5ml 15ml
Bacitracin op. ointment 4gm 12gm
Erythromycin op. ointment 4gm 12gm
Gentamicin 0.3% op. solution 5ml 15ml
Levobunolol 0.5% op solution 5ml 15ml
Neomycin/Polymyxin/Dexamethasone 0.1% op. ointment 4gm 12gm
Neomycin/Polymyxin/Dexamethasone 0.1% op. suspension 5ml 15ml
Pilocarpine 1% op. solution 15ml 45ml
Pilocarpine 2% op. solution 15ml 45ml
Polymyxin Sulfate/TMP op. solution* 10ml 30ml
Sulfacet Sodium 10% op. solution 15ml 45ml
Timolol Maleate 0.25% op. solution 5ml 15ml
Timolol Maleate 0.5% op solution 5ml 15ml
Tobramycin 0.3% op. solution 5ml 15ml

terbear1225

I've thought of that. this last time I thought for a while that it was just allergies but the morning she couldn't open her right eye because it was so gooped up, we decided enough was enough and took her in to the doc.
don't know if bohman mentioned the allergy idea when he took her in but if she gets it again, I definitely will ask.

terbear1225

These are the $4 eye drugs:

Atropine Sulfate 1% op. solution 5ml 15ml
Bacitracin op. ointment 4gm 12gm
Erythromycin op. ointment 4gm 12gm
Gentamicin 0.3% op. solution 5ml 15ml
Levobunolol 0.5% op solution 5ml 15ml
Neomycin/Polymyxin/Dexamethasone 0.1% op. ointment 4gm 12gm
Neomycin/Polymyxin/Dexamethasone 0.1% op. suspension 5ml 15ml
Pilocarpine 1% op. solution 15ml 45ml
Pilocarpine 2% op. solution 15ml 45ml
Polymyxin Sulfate/TMP op. solution* 10ml 30ml
Sulfacet Sodium 10% op. solution 15ml 45ml
Timolol Maleate 0.25% op. solution 5ml 15ml
Timolol Maleate 0.5% op solution 5ml 15ml
Tobramycin 0.3% op. solution 5ml 15ml

will have to check her meds when I get home and see if any of those match with what she has now. Thanks!!