Sassafras Hill

lusbyhouse

Anyone have experience with/or know anything about the Sassafras Hill store in California. What does it take to sell stuff there?

spinner

It depends what you are selling. I was in there for about 6 months, it has good traffic flow, they take care of the sales tax and other fees. The set-up is nice, and the sales people were friendly. But there was alot of items made in other countries- mass produced type of items- and I couldn't compete with their prices. My things sell better in an art/craft venue with customers who are looking for locally made items.

mamissa3

I have looked into selling there as well, to me the prices were kinds high for the space they wanted. That is just my opinoin though

frequentflier

happy to be living
Anyone have experience with/or know anything about the Sassafras Hill store in California. What does it take to sell stuff there?

I have had booth space there for 2.5 years. I recently downsized because I opened my own store. IMO, the owner, Kathryn, is a great lady and has been 100% with me. The store gets steady traffic and has recently expanded. She has good help there and I have never had any problems.

Moving merchandise depends on demand and interest. Like everything else, there are a lot of trends- what moves today may not be what people want tomorrow. It surprizes me that "country" and "primitive" are still hot!

Where there are crafters and artists with hand made goods, there are also resellers of merchandise not home made. There is a mix and Kathryn tries not to have people carrying the same kind of merchandise.

If you are interested in renting space, go and talk to her!
If you do rent space, my advice would be to frequently tend to your booth space. Change your displays often. Frequent shoppers overlook booths that never change. Depending on what you sell, have pleasant displays; not plastic shelving and junk. If something does not move in one location, move it to another. Sometimes moving something from the lower area to an upper area makes a huge difference! I got a lot of ideas on merchandising from the other vendors there as well as from going to other small stores and antique shops and looking in magazines. I try to make my current store unique and fun.
I realize this is a long response...Please PM me if you want any more info!