How do you make Chinese style white rice?

General Lee

You know the kind you get at at a Chinese restaurant, fluffy and sticky. Anyone know how to do it? Got to be a secret to it, I can't figure it out.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Oh good Lord, put 1 cup long grain rice in 2 cups cold water. put on stove, bring to a boil, stir, cover , reduce heat to simmer and set the timer for 20 minutes. Perfect rice every time. No need for a rice cooker.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
You know the kind you get at at a Chinese restaurant, fluffy and sticky. Anyone know how to do it? Got to be a secret to it, I can't figure it out.

Kohuho Rose rice cooked in a rice steamer, a little extra water than they call for, turn on the cook cycle and 17 minutes on your timer. When time is up, pull the plug and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Salt, fluff and eat. I usually buy the 25 lb. bag of that rice from the oriental store across from the Friendly tavern on rt. 5 in Great Mills. I believe that SFW may carry it, I've seen it in one of the groceries around here, just can't be certain which one:)

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Damn, Its in the steamer now. I'll try your way next time. Usually I've been using the bag rice. Either way mine always come out loose and the rice grains fall all over the place. I want the consistency you get with Chinese.

Duh! I was thinking vegetable steamer. :doh: I was seeing the rice fall through the slots in the steamer.:lmao:

unixpirate

Pitty Party

short grain rice - when cooked it is moister and more clingy than long grain rice and therefore will hold it's shape.

Sushi rice takes a bit of time and care to prepare, but it can be done ahead of time and left covered with a damp cloth. Do not refrigerate cooked sushi ric for chilled rice won't stick together.

5 cups of sushi rice.
2 cups short grain rice
2 cups plus 6 tsp cold water
1/2 cup sushi vinegar
cold water for washing rice.

You can use a medium size pan or rice cooker.

Soak rice in a bowl of cold water. Stir the rice around in the bowl with your hands.
After the water becomes cloudy, strain the rice by pouring the water and rie mixture into the strainer., letting the waster flow into a skink. Put the rice back in the bowl, add fresh cold water and repeat the process. Keep washing the rice until the water is no longer cloudy, about a total of 5 mins. Finally leave the rice in the strainer and let it sit straining for 30-60 mins. This will allow time for the rice to thoroughly drain.

If you change the amount of rice, you need to change the size of the sauce pan. Also adjust the heat accordingly.

Place over medium high heat until the rice steams. ( 10 mins ) Turn the heat to high and cook 2 mins. You will notice a white foam around the lid. Next reduce the heat to med. and cook another 5 mins. till you see the foam stops. Turn off the heat and let it stand covered another 15 mins. After rice is finished use bamboo paddle to fluff rice. Then wrap the pot cover in a cloth towel and return the cover. Let stand 15 mins.

Man I'm tired of typing. :lol:

I have a Sushi kit with all ingredients and serving utensils. IT is a lot of work, trust me. But always a good ending. :yum:

T

toppick08

short grain rice - when cooked it is moister and more clingy than long grain rice and therefore will hold it's shape.

Sushi rice takes a bit of time and care to prepare, but it can be done ahead of time and left covered with a damp cloth. Do not refrigerate cooked sushi ric for chilled rice won't stick together.

5 cups of sushi rice.
2 cups short grain rice
1/2 cup sushi vinegar

Soak rice in a bowl of cold water. Stir the rice around in the bowl with your hands.
After the water becomes cloudy, strain the rice by pouring the water and rie mixture into the strainer., letting the waster flow into a skink. Put the rice back in the bowl, add fresh cold water and repeat the process. Keep washing the rice until the water is no longer cloudy, about a total of 5 mins. Finally leave the rice in the strainer and let it sit straining for 30-60 mins. This will allow time for the rice to thoroughly drain.

If you change the amount of rice, you need to change the size of the sauce pan. Also adjust the heat accordingly.

Place over medium high heat until the rice steams. ( 10 mins ) Turn the heat to high and cook 2 mins. You will notice a white foam around the lid. Next reduce the heat to med. and cook another 5 mins. till you see the foam stops. Turn off the heat and let it stand covered another 15 mins. After rice is finished use bamboo paddle to fluff rice. Then wrap the pot cover in a cloth towel and return the cover. Let stand 15 mins.

I have a Sushi kit with all ingredients and serving utensils. IT is a lot of work, trust me. But always a good ending. :yum:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms

5 cups of sushi rice.
2 cups short grain rice
1/2 cup sushi vinegar

holy crap, that would make a lot of rice

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Kohuho Rose rice cooked in a rice steamer, a little extra water than they call for, turn on the cook cycle and 17 minutes on your timer. When time is up, pull the plug and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Salt, fluff and eat. I usually buy the 25 lb. bag of that rice from the oriental store across from the Friendly tavern on rt. 5 in Great Mills. I believe that SFW may carry it, I've seen it in one of the groceries around here, just can't be certain which one:)

:yeahthat:

Don't rince the rice either.