Assisted Living

Jules

This might not be the right place for this topic, but I'll give it a try. Can anyone recommend a good assisted living facility in the area of Calvert, Prince Georges, Charles or St.Mary's Couny? My elderly mother has dementia and is getting to the point of not being able to live alone . They all seem VERY expensive!! Any recommendations or guidance would be much appreciated.

sockgirl77

This might not be the right place for this topic, but I'll give it a try. Can anyone recommend a good assisted living facility in the area of Calvert, Prince Georges, Charles or St.Mary's Couny? My elderly mother has dementia and is getting to the point of not being able to live alone . They all seem VERY expensive!! Any recommendations or guidance would be much appreciated.

If she was ever military, you should check out Charlotte Hall Veterans' Home. :yay:

Mdcopswife

Boss Lady

There are several in the area. I suggest taking a visit to each one. I really dont know if one is better than another, sorry. I know this must be hard for you.:huggy:

ginwoman

call the Office On Aging or your local health department. They are usually very helpful and informative. I don't know your mother's financial situation, but they might be able to offer some help/advice with that also. Good luck. I am in the same boat with my parents.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Hi Jules. Been there, done that. My Mom went to Taylor Farm assisted living in Bushwood. In fact, you can probably find their ad on the home page of this website. Look for the green flashing ad on Somd.com. They were the best I ever found but they are down in the sticks and cost @$5,000 per month. They provide everything and have the best nurses. The best part about it is that there are 2 nurses for every 8 residents. Much better than the other places that have one nurse for every 10-20 residents. I wish you well on this and there might be a waiting list.

Jules

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. This is no fun at all. I can't afford $5000.00 per month but I will check them all out. Life sure does come full circle, dealing with my mother is more like dealing with a child rather then a parent. Wish me luck :)

D

doubt_me

My grandmother also has dementia and when it got really bad we placed her in St. Mary's Nursing Center. It does run around 5,000 a month, but the people there are excellent and very caring. I would not recommend Morningside in Waldorf. You pay way too much for nothing.

SoMDGirl42

Hi Jules. Been there, done that. My Mom went to Taylor Farm assisted living in Bushwood. In fact, you can probably find their ad on the home page of this website. Look for the green flashing ad on Somd.com. They were the best I ever found but they are down in the sticks and cost @$5,000 per month. They provide everything and have the best nurses. The best part about it is that there are 2 nurses for every 8 residents. Much better than the other places that have one nurse for every 10-20 residents. I wish you well on this and there might be a waiting list.

Fellow co-worker is going through the same thing with a family member. He just visited this place this past week. He said by far it was the best he has seen around. I think he has decided that is where she will be going. Good luck.

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. This is no fun at all. I can't afford $5000.00 per month but I will check them all out. Life sure does come full circle, dealing with my mother is more like dealing with a child rather then a parent. Wish me luck :)

LUCK
I can't even begin to imagine!!!
:huggy:
I can tell you that I worked at Waldorf Health Care on 925 for 2 years back in 96,,,, and that was the place to be... I highly recommed it... There are a few nurses and staff still there from when I worked and they are kind and nurturing..

K

Kain99

Morningside House in St. Charles has dementia care unit that is run by Copper Ridge and Johns Hopkins University. Care for the elderly does not get any better than that. I promise.

Jules

Thanks again for the suggestions. I just contacted Bushwood and Morningside House for info. However, I can't afford $5K a month, so we'll see. I appreciate all of your help.

Jules

Why do you say don't go to Morningside??? They sent me some info and want me to schedule a tour. They deal with dementia, which is what I need.

K

Kain99

Why do you say don't go to Morningside??? They sent me some info and want me to schedule a tour. They deal with dementia, which is what I need.

The care at Morningside House is Premo! Some just cannot affford it. The State of Maryland publically posts all deficiencies for each community in the state. MSH has always been a leader and has a wonderful record.

Nanny Pam

Do you have any sisters who are SAHM? Isn't anyone in your family able to have her move in with them?

Even if ya'll work outside the home, there may be a few "Adult Daycare" places available. You could keep her with you and drop her off at the AD everyday, and those folks are a God send! :yay: They sing songs and do crafts the whole 9 yards....

Cowgirl

Can I ask a silly question? How do people afford to pay $5,000/month on nursing homes/assisted living? :faint: That's a ton of money.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Can I ask a silly question? How do people afford to pay $5,000/month on nursing homes/assisted living? :faint: That's a ton of money.

It's cheaper to book them on cruises and let them live out their lives touring the world.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Many of them have houses that they sell as my Mom did. If they don't and they have less than $11,000 in TOTAL assets, they can be subsidized by Medicare.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Many of them have houses that they sell as my Mom did. If they don't and they have less than $11,000 in TOTAL assets, they can be subsidized by Medicare.
And like in my mom's case, the house that she sold for a nice profit financed her stay in the nursing home. Every month, her private assets were chipped away another $5K. Drip, drip, drip. Gone, or almost gone. :nomoney:

We were really lucky, though. She had money to pay for her stay, and when we (the family) had our ducks in a row, we were able to bring her home to my sisters' home where she was taken care of, primarily, by this sister, but by all of us sisters, until the day that she died.

With the rules being what they are, my mom's life savings was taken to pay for her stay in the nursing home, and for her resulting care.