Wild mushrooms and apparent addict dog

Ponytail

Ok. I know that some mushrooms are supposed to be horribly poisoness to animals, humans, etc. My damn dog can't be let out without a leash now, cuz she has apparently become addicted to the 'shrooms.

I used to be able to let her out, and she'd be fine, whether I was out there with her or not. But a couple of weeks ago, I caught her eating mushrooms. Now everytime I let her out, she goes from tree to tree, and through the high grass and ivy like a mad dog on crack, looking for those shrooms.

She used to be VERY obedient, but now seems to turn a deaf ear, and is about like trying to catch a greased pig when she gets on the hunt.

Should I be worried??? What are the signs if she does get a bad mushroom?

is there anything that I can put down in the lawn that will keep the shrooms from growing, but not be toxic to the pup?

Anybody want to come over and farm my mushrooms? Some of them are more than 6" in diameter!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Dogs love mushrooms and some of them can be toxic. You can use Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomitting. Not sure how much, not much though. Check with your vet but several years ago my Golden ate a mushroom and I wasn't sure what kind it was so the vet recommended the peroxide routine. Worked like a charm.:barf:

D

DaMadman

Most of the time a dog will not eat something along the lines of a mushroom if it is poisonous. Unlike a cat eating a pointsetta or a dog drinking antifreeze, somehow they have an instict about natural things like mushrooms that will or won't hurt them.

On the bright side maybe you could take your Pup over to Europe or where ever it is that they train dogs to dig truffles Which are after all just a mushroom that grows under the dirt.

I wouldn't worry about it too much there really aren't very many species of shrooms that are actually fatally toxic

alex

I thought mushrooms where dangerous to dogs regardless of the type of mushroom. I heard they damage the animal's liver. As for the truffles in France they use pigs to find them.