Meningitis Vaccine for College Student

da6bearz

Good Morning all,

My daughter is enrolled in Towson for the up coming school year and she needs to have a Meningitis vaccine. The only way my doctors office does it is to give me a prescription and have it filled. The script is not covered by my insurance and would cost $160. So then they told me we could go to the Health Dept and that would cost around $80/$85. But my doctors office did say something about some free clinics does anyone have any information on this??

Thanks a bunch!!!

SoMDGirl42

Good Morning all,

My daughter is enrolled in Towson for the up coming school year and she needs to have a Meningitis vaccine. The only way my doctors office does it is to give me a prescription and have it filled. The script is not covered by my insurance and would cost $160. So then they told me we could go to the Health Dept and that would cost around $80/$85. But my doctors office did say something about some free clinics does anyone have any information on this??

Thanks a bunch!!!

I'd check with the school nurse

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
Call an Infectious Disease Doctor and see what their price is for this. This shot is a requirement for college. I was a nurse at the above. Their number is

Philip J. Bean Medical Center
24035 Three Notch Road
Hollywood Maryland 20636
(301) 373-7900

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Since the vaccine is required by college students in the state of Maryland, you might be able to file an appeal with your insurance company to make them pay for it.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
When did this become a requirement? It wasn't when I was in school. :confused:
May 2000. I believe Maryland was the first state to make it a requirement. I remember looking it up some months back when a friend died from it, but she'd been a student in DC, which doesn't require it.

da6bearz

I did find out that I can go to the Philip J Bean building and get the shot for my daughter but they also said that all Shah Associates should have it in there office so I'm trying Brenton Medical because she has been seen there

wineo

loving life
Good Morning all,

Thanks a bunch!!!

St. Mary's Health Dept does them. Could be charged a small fee, call 301-475-4330.

Cowgirl

May 2000. I believe Maryland was the first state to make it a requirement. I remember looking it up some months back when a friend died from it, but she'd been a student in DC, which doesn't require it.

That's odd, because I was in school then, and I never had the vaccine. :shrug:

da6bearz

I found out that most all of the Shah offices have the vaccine in their office and with my insurance it only cost us $20.

Tracy

surfer1

I found out that most all of the Shah offices have the vaccine in their office and with my insurance it only cost us $20.

Tracy

If your child is living on campus in the state of Md The vaccine is required. Your childs pediatrician should have it and your insurance should cover it.

jney

when the docs office writes a script it falls under your pharmacy benefits, not medical. so maybe appeal there? I used to work in a doc office and we didn't get it due to limitation and shelf life, etc. some ins co (Blue Cross) would specially order it from the manufacturer and have it sent straight to the doc office. some campuses (not just in MD) won't even allow the kids on the campus for the first day or move in day until they have it. call your insurance company first and ask them how you can get it.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
My son goes to Kansas U and he had to have it as an incoming freshman last year. Haven't heard about one for this year so maybe it's a one time thing.