Laurel Highlands, PA

Elle

Happy Camper!
Any not to be missed attractions in this area, specifically the Ohiopyle vicinity?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I never did a trip up there, we thought about it but never got around to it. *sorry*

tommyjones

Isn't "Falling Water" up in that area, too?

cucumber falls.... although there really aint much too it, it makes a nice place to take a pic.

We used laurel highlands adventures maybe....

did the lower section with my kid years ago. had a blast, the rapids weren't too bad, but exciting enough to keep you awake.

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
My parents live about 40 minutes from there. There is Nemicolon (sp) Country Club ($$$) and you can do the Old Route 40 trail, there are also a couple civil war attractions. Also there is a cavern for under ground tours through the Laurel Caverns - similar to Lauray

Incorporating Mt. Davis, the highest point in Pennsylvania, this scenic region features whitewater rafting and miles of trails for hiking, cross-country skiing and backpacking.

We found many things to do in this beautiful area in southwest Pennsylvania, about a 90 minute drive from Pittsburgh. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Somerset because it was centrally located but there are many motels and B&B's in the area.
Our main reason for going there was to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, which was spectacular. There is another FLW home in the area, Kentuck Knob, which was equally interesting and has a unique sculpture garden on the property.
Driving from the airport to Somerset, we drove through Ligonier and stopped to see the fort from the French and Indian War. It happened to be Fort Ligonier Days and a reenactment was going on - a great way to learn about history.
Two historic roads in this area also are worth driving - the Lincoln Highway and the National Road. Following these roads take you past covered bridges, more historic sites and beautiful scenery. A side trip off the Lincoln Hwy to the temporary Flight 93 Memorial is quite emotional.

I stole that from Search results: Laurel Highlands, PA - TripAdvisor

J

jjsmommy99

My mom is from Somerset Co, PA. Nice place to vacation, not to live. Kinda boring, plus the lack of work. I love to go back every year though to visit relatives.

Elle

Happy Camper!
There is another FLW home in the area, Kentuck Knob, which was equally interesting and has a unique sculpture garden on the property.

They have a Children's Policy that cuts this out of our trip. I do want to visit Falling Water but will probably just do the grounds tour on our own. We plan to stay at Ohiopyle state park or Mill Run Yogi (camping).

Anyone ever been to "Idlewild & Soak Zone" or "Kennywood"

tommyjones

They have a Children's Policy that cuts this out of our trip. I do want to visit Falling Water but will probably just do the grounds tour on our own. We plan to stay at Ohiopyle state park or Mill Run Yogi (camping).

Anyone ever been to "Idlewild & Soak Zone" or "Kennywood"

they have a really nice bike trail if your kids are old enough. Its an old railroad track that they redid, hardly any grade, almost flat. you can get to it in about 5 mins from the park and it goes for miles. there is a little town a few miles away as i remember. you get to ride along the riverside high enough up to see pretty well. on the oposite side there is a working track, so every once in a while you see a train going by.

Worht taking the bikes if you enjoy riding

J

jjsmommy99

I've been to Idlewild a million times. By the time we were 15, I realized it wasn't that much fun anymore.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Anyone ever done the natural waterslides at Ohiopyle? Looks like a lot of fun but also could be dangerous -:eyebrow: