Metal Detector vs. County Parks

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
I think there is a law against stealing items located in public parks

Yea, I just found this in the forum:

"...(Note to all: metal detecting is illegal in all Maryland State Parks (very few exceptions) and all federal historic sites)...."

Oh well!

T

toppick08

I've detected on local beaches many years ago, and never had a problem. But they may have changed that now. I don't know.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I'm sure looking for change at Elms beach is viewed differently then trowling up civil war uniform buttons at Point Lookout

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
I'm sure looking for change at Elms beach is viewed differently then trowling up civil war uniform buttons at Point Lookout

I'm sure you can "scoop" up sand without any concern. I fully understand everyone's concerns about "digging." I've been around a few places that idiots would dig and leave a mess. It is so easy to drop a cloth, carefully dig and move dirt over to the cloth and then carefully put the dirt back in the hole with the grass plug on top. Unfortunately a few lazy and careless hunters ruined it for the rest of us.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Just found this on a Maryland Site...
Maryland State Park Regulations

.18 Relics, Treasures, and Metal Detectors

A. The policy of the service is to safeguard the archaeological resourses under its care. The guidelines in Para. B and C of this regulation shall be followed.

B. Without a permit from the Office of Archaeology, Maryland Historical Trust, Department of Housing and Community Development and the Department, an individual may not dig in search of
buried relics or treasures, remove prehistoric or historical artifacts, or use metal detectors, except as provided in Para. D of this regulation, within the boundaries of lands, beaches, or under waters
controlled by the Service. (Note: State Parks manage the waters one (1) mile out from its beaches and boundaries)

C. Permits are issued to archaeologists and other qualified individuals who present a plan for scientific investigation to be carried out under provisions of the Maryland archaeological Historic
Properties Act, Article 83B, Para. 5-623 --5-628, Annoted code of Maryland. Copies of the law and application for permit can be obtained from the Chief, Office of Archaeology, Maryland Historical
Trust, 100 Community Place, Crownsville, Md. 21032

D. Metal Detector Exception.

(1) An exception to the permit requirements of this regulation is for the use of a metal detector in the search for modern coins, jewelry, and other items on designated swimming beaches
operated by the Service, with the exceptions of Point Lookout and Calvert Cliffs.

(2) An individual shall obtain permission to use a metal detector as set forth in this regulation from the Service.

(3) A metal detector may be used during normal park hours with the following exceptions:

(a) 9 a.m. through dusk from May 30 through Labor day; and

(b) Other times at the discretion of the park manager.