Bird Rescues??

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
We found a hurt baby woodpecker. Well, were pretty sure its a baby because all of yesterday the parents (?) were calling for it. We found it under my dad motorcycle trailer, it was dragging its wing. My mom picked it up with a muck fork, & put it in a box, so the cats wont eat it. Its alive and healthy, other then the wing, and the parents(?) try to atack if we get too close, or they yell like crazy. We looked up some bird rescue places near by, but we havent found any... so we need some help! If you know of any near Brandywine, or if you know someone that knows how to take care of wild birds PLEASE tell me!!!

dawn

Try Orphaned Wildlife Rescue Center , he has helped me with a duck that was injured before. He is in Lusby, and I had to bring the duck to him, but he was wonderful. I think his name is Ron, but not 100 percent sure.

If he cant help you, he can probably point you in the direction of someone that can.

edit -- Yep his name is Ron, here is the website.

orphaned-wildlife-rescue-center.com

It appears they are only open from 10-4 though.

Last edited:

Rael

Supper's Ready
We found a hurt baby woodpecker. Well, were pretty sure its a baby because all of yesterday the parents (?) were calling for it. We found it under my dad motorcycle trailer, it was dragging its wing. My mom picked it up with a muck fork, & put it in a box, so the cats wont eat it. Its alive and healthy, other then the wing, and the parents(?) try to atack if we get too close, or they yell like crazy. We looked up some bird rescue places near by, but we havent found any... so we need some help! If you know of any near Brandywine, or if you know someone that knows how to take care of wild birds PLEASE tell me!!!

PM Inkpen. Sometimes birds just get off to a bad start by leaving their nest before they're ready to fly. Or maybe damage their ability to fly by hurting themselves from the fall. Or it could be just good ol' flight training (but the dragging wing thing makes me think it could be otherwise).

Curious, was it a red-bellied woodpecker? Parents are fairly large (maybe a foot from beak to tail) and loud.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Curious, was it a red-bellied woodpecker? Parents are fairly large (maybe a foot from beak to tail) and loud.

ummm... it has a red mowhawk on its head, and the parents have white under there wings, and yeah the parents are big, and loud. But now i know what a woodpecker sounds like.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Try Orphaned Wildlife Rescue Center , he has helped me with a duck that was injured before. He is in Lusby, and I had to bring the duck to him, but he was wonderful. I think his name is Ron, but not 100 percent sure.

If he cant help you, he can probably point you in the direction of someone that can.

Thank you!!! i will tell my mom about it.:starcat:

RPMDAD

I Think this might be the same guy

I think this is the same guy that Dawn is talking about
To learn more about the OWRC and how you may help save Maryland’s wildlife call OWRC at 410-326-0937 and leave a detailed message, or email the organization at [ mailto:eek:wrc@chesapeake.net ]owrc@chesapeake.net.
Here is also a link about the organization, very impressive, One time i dealt with a hurt baby owl and was referred to an wildlife rehabilitator off of 301 but that was 20 yeras ago and can't remember their name.

Press Releases